Help with hot flushes, drug info

Help with hot flushes, drug info

Help with hot flushes, drug info Hi David, have removed your surname from post in line with Breast Cancer Care procedure.

Regards
Breast Cancer Care

help with hot flushes, drug infoposted on 13.05.06 11:20 pm
davidc

Can anyone give us any information on the drug ‘MEGACE’ and the drug ‘CLONIDINE’ (DIXARIT). Both have been highly praised for controling hot flushes after a mastectomy. We believe that they are both available on prescription but we would like to know what side effects there are.

David

Megace and CLonidine Hi David

Not taken either but general information can be found on

www.menopausematters.co.uk (site maily for a natural menopause but there is some non HRT info)

Also www.patient.co.uk - search drug names and/or menopause.

Megace and CLonidine Hi David

Not taken either but general information can be found on

www.menopausematters.co.uk (site maily for a natural menopause but there is some non HRT info)

Also www.patient.co.uk - search drug names and/or menopause.

Clonidine Hi David
I took clonidine (also called livial) for some 12 yrs as I had a hysterectomy (with ovaries removed) in 1991. I had no side effects that I can remember. They did make the flushes less severe.
However, when I was dx with bc (PR+) in 2003 my GP said I should stop the Livial as it is a synthetic oestrogen. I still get sweats, but not as frequent or as severe as they were. As far as I know, it is only available on prescrption - I would talk to your GP or bc nurse for their advice in your particular circumstance.
Liz.

Information This is to clarify any possibility of future confusion between the
medication Clonidine and Livial.

Clonidine is an antihypertensive, also known as (Dixarit, Catapres)
Clonidine has been shown to be effective in reducing both the frequency and the intensity of hot flushes but its effects may wear off after some time. As with all drugs, clonidine has side effects, which include a dry mouth and headaches.
Livial is a different drug, it is Tibilone. This is an oestrogen used
for HRT. Not indicated in breast cancer because of it’s oestrogenic
effects. It is contraindicated in hormone dependant tumours.

Online Information Nurse
Breast Cancer Care