71692members
376052posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Her2+, Hormone+ and grade 3. Will i grow old??!

8 REPLIES 8
marble1966

Re: Her2+, Hormone+ and grade 3. Will i grow old??!

Hi Chelle,

I am 42, diagnosed on 26/01 with Invasive Ductal Cancer, Lympectomy
done, no nodes involved, but I am strongly Hormone Positive. Out of a score of 8, mine are 7 for both ER & PR. Her is negative. Grade 3

Was interested in your comment about having ovaries blocked. I did
ask the breast surgeon, if I am that strongly hor pos, why dont I
have a hysterectomy or ovaries removed, as I have 3 children and
have been steralised, but he didn't seem to think it was necessary.
Why did they suggest you having ovaries blocked, was it because you
had high levels? I am only seeing Onc tomorrow as my first set of results came back with one of the margins unclear.

I have been told 6 lots of chemo, tamoxifen and lastly rad treatment.

lisa_lisa

Hi Chelle
I think we should all take a leaf out of road runners book go girl !!!Well done you .
Im 39 yrs old grade 3 15/16 lymps pos and hormone+ and like the ladies have said I was told it was a good think as it would work better with a certain drug , not really up with all names ect yet .

I also have a young family daughter 7 on Sat and son whos 12 I could cry every time I write about them on here because Id rather not but its got to be that , that will keeps me strong and there is many a ladie on here thats just that ....
I have meet so many people that have already gone through this part of the journey and it dose help to come on here ...

Im just 5 days into my first chemo on fec-t and had right mastec just over 3 weeks ago , only found out 3 days before surgery so today still feeling quite sick and weak but children have gone with nan and grandad for a nice few days in wales am missing them terrible but ill be much better ( fitter ) when they return

speak to you all soon Lisa
ps the new neighbor has just started drilling against our bedroom wall husband wants to go and tell them how ill I feel but I wount let him ... may change my mind in half an hour ...lisa x

RoadRunner

Hi Chelle,

Please don't worry about being Her2+. Before herceptin you are right that it was bad news, as the prognosis was worse, but now with herceptin the outcome is much the same as someone who is Her2-.

The main drawback with herceptin is the length of time of treatment, as it adds a year to it, which is a pain.

I was 44 at dx in Feb 07, grade 3, 3/16 lymph nodes, hormone positive, her2+, with three teenagers (well, youngest was turning 12 at the time). I finally finished herceptin last December, and today am feeling fit and well. I am running the 10k race for life this year, and plan a half marathon next year.

Life is good.

Best wishes

emily9

Hi Chelle

It was a massive shock, I dont know about you but its definately a life changing experience, especially when you have young children. I have found that having them around does make it easier. children seem to be so much better at dealing with things dont they??

How sweet about your 5 yr old! when i had my 1st chemo my children were so helpful..

All i do is think about how unfortunately special i am.. people rally around and you start to realise how caring they all are and how much you are loved by people.

At least i can say that my life isn't a boring one!! thats how i look at it now, also I'm going to enjoy some time off, I work at a pre school so the drs have advised me to stay away whilst having chemo because of my immune system being lower than usual.

em x

chelle1

Hi everybody,

Thanks sooo much for your replies. I guess i'm just having 'one of whose days'!! My 5 year old was being so sweet earlier it just upset me alittle to think of 'missing out'.

Redders you are so right about not being Her2-. To be honest i didn't realise how many different breast cancers there were until this year, and i must be grateful for herceptin and tamoxifen.

Leslee thanks for you reply Hope you are doing well. It sounds like you've been through it.

Em it must of been such a shock to be told you have breast cancer at 28!! I don't know what happens after finishing herceptin? Just loads of check ups for evermore i guess.How are you coping and with a young family? It's just so scary when you think too deeply about the children is'nt it?!!

Big hugs to you all,
Take care Chelle x x

emily9

Hi
I am also HER-2+, Hormone+ and also had a grade 3 tumour.

I'm 28 years old and i was diagnosed late january this year, i had the lumpectomy 27th feb and ive just started chemo. I will also be getting radiotherapy, 5 years tamoxifen and doses of herceptin.

I haven't even thought about the herceptin yet as i'm taking each stage as it comes.. although the thought of my children living their lives without me scares the hell out of me!! i have 2 girls 9 and 5, and a step daughter who is also 5.

all i know is that apparently im lucky to be able to fight this horrible thing with more ammunition than people who are HER-2 negative!! what i dont really get is what happens after the year of herceptin??

I suppose i should ask my chemo nurse that next time!

Em

doodle32

Hi Chelle,

Im 34(just) hormone positive and grade 3(with lymph involvement). Im negative for heceptin though but i had bi- lateral masectomy in dec 08 and ooherectomy and full hystrectomy in feb 09 Ive got to take tamoxifen for the next 5 years. I had chemo and radio too. Im sure someone will be along soon to tell you about her2+. I know there are some ladies who are years down the line and still going strong.

Take Care

Leslee x

redders

Being Her2 positive is NOT a bad thing. It just means that at a later stage if you need it you can have the drug Herceptin because it will work on your type of breast cancer. Herceptin has been a real breakthrough drug for many people and some have been on it for many months, if not longer. Many people who are Her2 negative would sooner be in your position because it gives you another weapon with which to fight the BC. Best wishes.

chelle1

Her2+, Hormone+ and grade 3. Will i grow old??!

Hi,

Last christmas eve aged 39 i was diagnosed with having grade 3 breast cancer. I am hormone positive and Her2 positive. So far i've had a lumpectomy (my lympth nodes were clear-phew), and my second dose of chemo (epi-cmf). After chemo im having radiotherapy, herceptin, tamoxifen and my ovaries blocked. I have 2 teenage sons and a 5 year daughter.

Mostly i feel positive, however some days i panic about being Her2+. All i seem to read is negative things about this!! Please can anyone tell some positives about her2+ and reassure me that i have every chance of watching my children (especially my youngest as shes still small) grow up. Its thinking about missing out on my children that make me cry.

Love Chelle x