Herceptin allergic reaction

Had my 1st session of Herceptin on 16th May. Suffered a huge allergice reaction so much so I had to be given adrenalin and stay in hospital overnight. By Saturday 19th May my heart was still racing and having regular palpitations. Went to A&E kept in for two nights on a heart monitor. The hospital gave me priton throughout my stay, they said I was still reacting to Herceptin. Sent me home last Monday (week today) with a weeks worth of Piriton and an urgent appointment to see ONC.

Just come back from seeing ONC and he has taken me off Herceptin, says he’s weighed things up and as my reaction was so severe, Herceptin is life threatnening to me :frowning:

I do recall being told back in September 2011 when I was diagnosed that there was a Scandivanian study which claimed that ONE session of Herceptin was adeqate. Has anyone else been told this? I’ve looked on good old google and Wikipedia and can’t seem to find the report. My breast care nurse says she’s heard that claim but, is not sure if she’s read in anywhere.
Please help
Thanks
Chris x

Hi Chris So sorry to hear your reaction to Herceptin. I have heard 6 in Finland but i have not researched it enough. I don’t think your consultant would say something like that if it was not true. I wish you well on your recovery and bumping for others to come along and offer advice for you.
take care Silver x

Hi Chris,

I’ve just had my Herceptin stopped after a few months as my heart function went down to 35% in January and still hasn’t recovered. I understand that you must be worried as I am totally gutted and I managed to sneak a few in! I have my oncologist’s words resonating in my head as when I was diagnosed with a large tumour and lymph node involvement he told me Herceptin was my lifeline and he wasn’t going to put me forward for the 6 month trial as my cancer was so aggressive. Now he’s trying to backtrack…but I can’t forget what he said at the start!!

However, obviously our hearts are pretty important anyway - so it’s not a life-saving drug for us and we’ll have to accept that.

Thanks.

I can only find the Finher report/paper which states 6 sessions of Herceptin too. It wasn’t my usual BCN who told me about the 1 Herceptin session being adequat, but she too has heard this. ONC not said anything about it, but there again he never does!!
If (finger and toes and anything else phyically possible crossed) the dreaded C does return, it can be treated or cut away. End of the day, I’ve only got one heart.
As you say Sandytoes Herceptin, is not so life saving after all.

take care all xx