Herceptin and funding

Hi girls,

I have appealed to my PCT (Dorset) as they don’t continue with Herceptin after progression. My tumours are in the liver and with my last batch of chemo are smaller than when they progressed in May by 1/2 cm.
Many areas throughout the UK still fund Herceptin after progression. I now have to apply to the PCT for personal funding. My ongologist is behind me on this one but I need some examples of areas in the UK where ladies are still receiving the drug after any progression at all.

If anybody can provide me with any area examples that would be fantastic… no personal names required.

Many thanks girls

Pauline xx

Hi Pauline
Here in Fife, Scotland there is no problem with being given Herceptin. My niece is still receiving after progression to lungs, bones, liver and brain. These things shouldn’t be a postcode lottery - good luck with your PCT.

alex

Hi Pauline, sorry to hear that they are withdrawing your Herceptin. I live in Cheshire and am under Macclesfield General Hospital, my consultant is also at the Christie in Manchester.

Macclesfields policy, according to my oncologist is, ‘if you need a drug then you get it, no post code refusals’.

Hope you are successful at getting the decision in your favour

Ann B

Hi Pauline,

As you know I continue on herceptin even though I have small progression and there has been no talk of taking me off herceptin. I also know of another person being treated at the Marsden who has been told “…they don’t cancel herceptin, just postpone it!” So it may be worth asking your onc how his PCT think if you were to go on chemo and responded to treatment if you would then be put back on herceptin. I have sent you some links to some research that seems to be pointing to benefits from being left on herceptin when their is progression.

Dawn
xx

I was dx with secs (bones) at same time as primary dx in may. I am about to begin Herceptin and Tax. Onc will keep me on herceptin for as long as it benefits me. I am in West mids.

Hi Ladies,

Many thanks for all your information. I can now provide my oncologist
with some examples to push my case to the PCT.

I appreciate all your time and I will let you know what happens next!

Good luck with all your treatments and I hope you are all well.

Paulinexx