338691posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Herceptin and heart scans

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Herceptin and heart scans

I have echoes all the time. And next one due.

Good news - I have been given the all clear to go ahead with my 6th Herceptin treatment.  Should get to at least the 9 doses now which will feel a lot better.

Jude...No, I had no drugs to help my EF rate to recover.  Must enquire more...but I am hearing people are having Herceptin for much more longer than 12 months (maybe if it is so needed).  Also in 2 months time my hospital is giving Herceptin to all new patients in the form of an injection sub-cutaneously (under the skin)? Which sounds quicker and easier.  May you stay strong in self and heart!  Cheers!

Highlighted

Excellent news, Julie, you must be really pleased.

I am going for a contrast echo tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Jude xx

2nd herceptin went well, no se's at all!!!!!! Have also managed to get out of muga scans and will now just have echos so even better!!!! 7th rads done today, made all the more easier by meeting nette and bumblebee. Xx xx

Thanksfor sharing your experience Eiblin, it helps to put my own situation into perspective. x

Meant to ask, were you prescribed drugs to help your heart recover?

Jude

Eiblin, that is good to know. A positive story. If I can make it through nine treatments I would be a lot happier given the research in Finland which has now led to them prescribing nine only , albeit over a shorter time period. Good luck with the rest of your treatments.

Jude

Hi, prior to Herceptin my EF was 69%, after 5 treatments dropped to 55% and after the 9th treatment it had dropped to 49% so came off Herceptin for 2 months, my echo was then 59% so went back on Herceptin, gone slightly down again to 55% after 2 treatments but still continuing herceptin treatments (told maybe the 49% reading possibly just a 'blip') next echo on 10th January 2014.  

Ladies,

Have any of you had a tissue expander fitted? In my case, the cardiologist has stated repeatedly that it is difficult to take accurate EF readings during an echo due to the position of my implant.

Jude

I have had both.

The radiographer who did my last echo has suggested I have Muga as he seemed to struggle.

Didnt say why but Herceptin Team have agreed so will now have MUGAs.

I don't feel any different so hopefully no change.

Hi, I have just been refused my 6th Herceptin treatment pending further investigation into my recent Echo.  Original my ejection rate was recorded as 60-65% and on the last one 55%.  I have been told this  could be a result of a one off scan or human error but because they don't know if my rate has dropped by 10% or less they can't make a decision on how to proceed so want cardiology to give further advice.  I am very worried about my heart being damaged but also scared if I can't carry on the cancer will come back.  Anyone had a similar experience and can give me words of advice?  Thanks, Jo. x

HI,

I have only had echocardiograms. After my 12th herceptin session the ejection fraction percentage dropped below 50% so they stopped it for a couple of months but I started it again last week.

I've had 3 ECHO scans so far. Last week I asked my oncologist why I hadn't had a MUGA. She told me she prefers the ECHO scan because it gives more accurate details of the condition of the heart as well as the ejection rate.

Hi Julie,

I am going to have a contrast echo following some change to my heart function after four treatments. I am told it should more accurately measure the EF. Hope this helps.

Jude

Herceptin and heart scans

For any ladies having herceptin, what type of heart scan have you had inbetween?????

Have you had muga or just echos????

Thank you!!!

Love Julie xxx