Re: Herceptin - delivered by injection subcutaneously

that should say 'for' not more x

Highlighted

I get my first one next week and mine is more secondaries x

Highlighted

I've had 9 of my 18 Herceptins.

I saw my consultant oncologist this morning and he brought the subject up as he realised we Herceptin patients would be wondering about it. He said at our hospital it is going to be offered to new patients and those with secondaries on Herceptin long term should they prefer it, but not those of us already on IV infusions unless we volunteer.

He advised against it because, as it hasn't been trialled thoroughly yet, you have to stay behind in the unit for an hour or so afterwards in case of a reaction. (part of the licensing conditions apparently). Whereas  on the IV infusions over half an hour we can go home straight away once we have had the first loading dose without an issue. The injection takes about 15 minutes, plus the hanging around time afterwards.

He did say that  in the research that has been done, the injection and the infusion have identical effectiveness.

As I have a portacath I much prefer to stay on the infusions and be in and out of the unit in half an hour or so.

Highlighted

I start Herceptin this week and my Onc offered me a clinical trial having sub cutaneous. However, I declined as, for me, I want something that is tried and tested and definitely works. I know this may sound selfish to some but if the cancer comes back, I would always be thinking "was it because I had the trial". Its a very personal decision to partake in any trial so each to their own. Good luck to all, however you have your Herceptin x

Highlighted

One of the nurses told me this yesterday as I was having my 16th session! To be honest, I don't find it too bad to sit there for a while - but I'm lucky and don't get any grief about time off work!  I would imagine it'll take a lot of pressure off the nursing staff x

Highlighted

I read about this too this morning  , I wish this had been around when I had my Herceptin ,as  it would have definitely saved lots of time spent at the hospital , not to mention my poor knackered veins!!

Very good news,

Linda x  Woman Happy

Highlighted

hi I will be getting subcut herceptin ,it is now available my onc is Dr Verrill who is in todays article in the press ,I am on it indefinately for liver secondaries so it will be a bonus ,I may start this in the next 2 weeks xx

Highlighted

Hi Spookymoo,

you beat me I was just going to post this. Interesting and I wonder if you get reduced SE?? I had my 2nd round yesterday and no talk of it in the chemo suite. Would imagine it will be offered to new starters.

Kat x

Highlighted

Herceptin - delivered by injection subcutaneously

I am "lucky" enough not to need Herceptin - but I know there are many ladies out there who do need it. Interesting article in the Daily Mail today about a new jab which has been given the go ahead by NHS to deliver Herceptin via a subcutaneoous injection, rather than on a chemo ward via IV infusion, every three weeks. Would be interesing to hear how many of you this is being offered to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2430245/New-breast-cancer-jab-slash-hours-spent-hospital-h...