Herceptin - delivered by injection subcutaneously

I am “lucky” enough not to need Herceptin - but I know there are many ladies out there who do need it. Interesting article in the Daily Mail today about a new jab which has been given the go ahead by NHS to deliver Herceptin via a subcutaneoous injection, rather than on a chemo ward via IV infusion, every three weeks. Would be interesing to hear how many of you this is being offered to?

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2430245/New-breast-cancer-jab-slash-hours-spent-hospital-help-save-NHS-millions.html

Hi Spookymoo,

you beat me I was just going to post this. Interesting and I wonder if you get reduced SE?? I had my 2nd round yesterday and no talk of it in the chemo suite. Would imagine it will be offered to new starters.

Kat x

I read about this too this morning  , I wish this had been around when I had my Herceptin ,as  it would have definitely saved lots of time spent at the hospital , not to mention my poor knackered veins!!

Very good news,

Linda x  :womanhappy:

One of the nurses told me this yesterday as I was having my 16th session! To be honest, I don’t find it too bad to sit there for a while - but I’m lucky and don’t get any grief about time off work!  I would imagine it’ll take a lot of pressure off the nursing staff x

I start Herceptin this week and my Onc offered me a clinical trial having sub cutaneous. However, I declined as, for me, I want something that is tried and tested and definitely works. I know this may sound selfish to some but if the cancer comes back, I would always be thinking “was it because I had the trial”. Its a very personal decision to partake in any trial so each to their own. Good luck to all, however you have your Herceptin x