Did you mean: 

Here we go! Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starts 27 April 2015

hannah203

Re: Here we go! Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starts 27 April 2015

I am in West Yorkshire xx
hannah203

Hello ladies

Bernie glad you're embracing your gollum look 😉 I look much better in the headscarfs than I do wigs but I wore a turquoise wig outside today its the first wig I've worn out!!! I have been wearing a headscarf with a clip in fringe and my friends have all said it really suits me and they all thought it was still my real fringe. My mum is coming to visit me & stay this week and requested a bald selfie before she comes so she doesn't get a shock!!
The MRI was horrendous as they struggled getting the cannula in and even tried at the chemo site against my advice but they got it in in the end elsewhere. Found the actual scan awful too, I was trying to practice my mindfulness!!! Thinking of asking my gp for some meds to help with the anxiety next time as I came out feeling like I'd been tortured for 30mins. I get the results from that and my CT staging scan on Monday.

I have found round 2 much more bearable than round 1. I had much stronger anti sickness I only felt nauseous for the evening after chemo and no days. I have managed so much better and been up and about every day... Bernie you should ask for some stronger anti sickness as I have had no problems with smells this time round and no problem with losing my apeitite.

Flamenco glad you're feeling OK. I didn't even try the cold cap so you got further than me! Annabandana are great I've got some great buys from there.

Lala have you started now?

Hello Tricia and welcome xx
La-La

I swear by Mindfulness training ladies... got me through pretty traumatic 3 mths last year when my mum was in hospital (she died Sept)
Mindfulness kept me sane. And has kept me lively and calm thru this too.
If you can get on one of the courses do it.
Will help all aspects of your life.
I have a great app on my iphone now.. Mindfulness Daily. Sanity saver!
Bernie610

Hello Trucia nice to hear from you. When do you start chemo? X
Patricia11

Hi i had grade 3 lump in my right breast plus 18 positive nodes dx early April 2015 so far i have had 1 x lumpectomy and 1 x re-excision to try and get clear margins and afterwards will have chemo. So for me it was surgery first.

Tricia xx
Bernie610

So pleased you are feeling ok Flamenco. I haven't used the cap my Onc advised against it but I quite like my wig and saves messing with my hair everyday! However, I look hideous in scarves & bandanas some people really suit them but oh well! Take care x
Flamenco

Hi all, the mindfulness sounds good, I will ask what they can do at my hospital. I'm in Brighton. I had my first chemo session today. I tried the cold cap for about 15mins but couldn't bear it - mainly because of the tightness of the cap. I just knew there and then I wouldn't last it out for 2.5hrs and didn't want to put myself through any unnecessary pain! So just ordered some bandanas from Annabandana and will sort out the wig soon. I'm sure it will be the easier option for me! So far I'm feeling fine after the chemo, but no doubt there's a quiet before the storm...
Bernie610

How is the mindfulness going Hannah? I saw an online course on Groupon. I am thinking of doing some of the complementary medicine sessions at my hospital they offer 4 sessions. Stupidly forgot to ask Onc to refer me when I saw her this week. Has anyone tried any? I'm so looking forward to a foot massage!! Where are you all in the country anyway?! I'm in the North West xx
Bernie610

Hello ladies hope you are all ok. I've had an up & down week. Chemo went ahead but was told there was a problem with my LFT. Had it done again after chemo & was the same third test done Thursday & result was back to normal! My stomach seems distended-look pregnant- but no one seems worried. Saw onc today again she feels the lump is much smaller. Hannah how was your MRI? I am sick of burping sound like a old builder, Hannah I was told I look like Gollum today by my lovely OH so know the look you are referring too!! The migraine wasn't as bad this chemo I was very nauseous though and was sick but settled by 4am so only 12 hours really. Spent Friday & Sunday horizontal was so unbelievably tired & lethargic but ok now. My sense of smell has been driving me crazy the softener I had just washed the bedding in was making me heave every-time I stepped foot upstairs for days & being in bed was torture just like morning sickness again! Good luck tomorrow Flamenco with the chemo xxx
La-La

You enjoy your camping Flamenco!!
Flamenco

Hi there, thank you for all your helpful replies about whether to have chemo or surgery first. In the end, the surgeon recommended I have chemo first. So with a day's notice, I had my sentinel lymph nodes removed and today I went for the introduction to chemo. I was expecting to start the chemo after the result of the lymph node biopsy, but they don't seem to think the result will change my treatment plan, so chemo starts next Weds 27 May (they did suggest tomorrow, but I managed to persuade them that was too short notice!!) At least that way we get to go on our bank holiday camping trip before it all starts. Decided to try the cold cap...see if I can put up with it...
hannah203

Hi ladies
Second round went OK have had stronger anti sickness which is good but feeling a bit more depressed this time round. I am having an MRI today to check this chemo is zapping the lump but me and my OH both agree it feels smaller already.
Looking like gollum in the mirror half and half look with my hair isn't the most motiviating and I am someone who usually has a lot of body confidence so its been weird feeling self conscious about my looks but this is the hand that has been dealt and just gotta get on with it!!!!
Good luck tomorrow Bernie I was feeling great the day before my chemo so I hope you have a good day before the cycle of crap starts again!!!
Mimelsa glad you're doing OK I had ulcers too they're horrid but glad you're managing. My energy levels were much the same just needed little naps here and there. Remember you can get prescriptions for free I got my gp to give me a big dose of bonjela on prescription after forking out a fiver for a tiny tube without one!!!
Lots of love ladies xxx
Bernie610

Hi Hannah and everyone else too! Hope you are all ok? Glad you are not feeling too bad Mimselima. My hair started come out last Saturday bank on quea! It's not all out yet but nearly and Walma the wig had her first outing yesterday! Just preparing myself for second chemo tomorrow. How did you get on with your second Hannah? Had oncology appointment on Tuesday she was really pleased as found it hard to feel the lump. I'm holding out on the optimism just yet due to the ups & downs with the previous outcomes of scans etc!
Mimselina

I'm just getting over some truly awful mouth ulcers but apart from that I am not too bad. I had my first fec last thursday (7/5) and I am feeling almost back to normal now, the only difference is that I find that I get tired a lot quicker than before.
How are you doing now Hannah?

hannah203

Hi ladies how are u all doing? Xx
Flamenco

Hi there again, thanks for all your replies. It was really useful to help me decide. After a 2.5 hr
session with the oncology team, we agreed that I would have chemo first and then the operation, as the surgeon thought I would really benefit from reducing the lump before surgery. I've got to have the sentinel lymph node removed first. Does anyone know what this involves i.e. how long the operation takes and how much recovery time is needed? I'm supposed to be starting chemo in 2 wks, so I guess it can't be too much recovery time. I will no doubt be asking you all for wig and bandana advice in a few weeks - not looking forward to that part!!
La-La

Thanks Hannah x
hannah203

Hair loss starts *around* day 14 from first chemo but can take a number of weeks to lose it all. I shaved it after 3 days of it falling out in clumps as couldn't stand it anymore. It's annoying as hair gets in everything and painful.

The fringe you can get them with clips on but theyre more exoebsive, you can just place them under hat if its close fitting or use a safety pin xx
La-La

What does the dringe clip onto? The skarf/hat?
I'm looking for this plus a clip in ponytail that I can attach to a baseball hat... I live in baseball hats when dog walking/ wayching son play footie etc, so that would be really handy.

I'll have a look on Amazon. too. (Just stumbled across Lauren Pope from Towie's website.. rather fabulous fale ponytails and plaits for £25! Not sure I can convert one to clip to a hat. 😞

Ladies who have started chemo: how long after first session did hairloss occur? I'm getting mixed messages... onc says fairly quickly after first? (It's the 'E' bit that causes it.. )
hannah203

Hi Jules, I got a clip in fringe on amazon they are about £2-£3 and look very real. They look good if you're prefering hats and scarfs to wigs as they look a little less extreme and help you feel less like people are looking. I'm planning on using a mixture of wigs and scarfs xxx

Lala its worth having a see of the wig at least. I have got a one but need it trimmed to suit me. X
La-La

I know you aren't on chemo yet, Jules, but have you an electronic ear thermometer at home? (Braun do a good one) May be worth checking your temperature? I do hope you are OK (lots of vitamin C!!!)

Don't think I'll be able to get a wig in time for initial hairfall, so thought I'd have to go with the hats/skarves option... but my friend (who is a hairdresser) says I can have the wig he got made for his mum... she sadly died in December. Says it is 'hardly worn and in good condition' and he can adjust it and cut it to suit me.... but I have to admit I feel a little odd about it.

I guess I can have a look see. Maybe OK as a stop gap til mine is ready... but still feels a a little strange. Hmm. What do you think ladies?
jules_66

Hi ladies. Well done Hannah, I'm contemplating whether to have my hair cut short before starting chemo but def plan to have it shaved off once it starts to come out. Had a talk with OH and youngest daughter about how they felt about me only using hats and scarves rather than a wig. OH as usual didn't want to talk about it and daughter thinks she may prefer to see me with hair of some description especially when we go out so I guess we will have to go with the flow!

Wow La-La your house sounds a hive if activity 🙂 not surprised you need a nap! I've been out this afternoon

for the first time this week. Although feeling a little better def not right so off to see GP in am to get checked out as don't want any reason for chemo to be delayed.  Nights are the worst,  can't sleep, all I can think of is chemo this in turns gets me stressed, hot and bothered and nauseous. Hoping once it actually starts and the fear of the unknown is over I will relax a bit more.

Take care and love to all. Jules xxx

La-La

I wish we could post pics on here.

Well done Hannah, I imagine that was a little poignant but liberating at the same time.

Hope otherwise you are feeling OK?

Jules, how are you doing?
Bernie, are you OK?

My brothers and their wives/kids came over yesterday to help blitz my 'things to do' list for me before chemo.
My garden now looks amazing, lawns mown, flowebeds dug over ready for new plants I'm putting in today.
Gates and Picket fence 1/3 painted (kids do not productive painters make;)
Kitchen blitzed
My wardrobes purged (I'm having a yard sale to clear my clutter!! Need some room to breath)

I'm exhausted now though. Nap time.
hannah203

Hi I was told the main benefit of having chemo first is to see how the cancer reacts to it... If they do chemo after its a kind of 'blind faith' as to whether the chemos working, but having chemo first they can check how your tumor is reacting and change the chemo drugs accordingly. Also gives you more time to decide on what surgery you want and if you're elligable for gene testing to get those results.

How are you all doing? I was driven mad by my head itching and all the folicules feeling really tender so I've shaved it, I'm feeling so much better and my OH loves it hehe xxx
Flamenco

Thank you for your helpful replies. It does sound like either option is good then and it's good to know that radiation may not be needed as well. Will let you know how I get on next week. Another question on my mind though is about the chemotherapy. Do most people stop working because of the side effects and also the risk of infections? But as regards infections, I think I'm no safer at home as I have two young children (nursery and school are always rife with infections!). Or do the steroids help prevent that?
jules_66

I'm also Grade 3 IDC both HR+ and HER2+ but had masectomy and SNR as first line of treatment.  No node involement but now about to start 6 x FEC chemo but no rads.  Herceptin for 1 year and tamoxifen for 10 years both to start once chemo finished.  Each hospital seem to work in a different way, mine favours surgery first but know many others start with chemo/rads. xxx

Flamenco

Thanks that's really good to hear. It's helps to know what to expect and it seems like it might be better in the long-run to have the chemo first, but they did say that whether I have it before or after it will help prevent the cancer coming back and as you say get rid of any more that might be floating around! It's kind of nice to know I have a choice, but in the end I can only be guided by the experts and go with their advice!
La-La

I'm grade 3 and HER2 positive, si having chemo first because of that.
My consultant told me that chemo first option is primarily to blitz any stray cells that may be floating about looking for a home.
My consultant said it's more about that than shrinking the lumps.
But my oncologist said that it will shrink the lumps (I have one in each breast) and will maybe give me the option of lumpectomy as opposed to mastectomy. Makes lumpectomy easier I think.
(Consultant seems to prefer mastectomy option as it means I'll avoid rasiation therapy after thiugh... (lower risk with double breast cancer)

All a bit confusing isn't it? Think each doc has own preferences.

But I like the isea of blitzing any cancer cells that are floating about first.
Start mine Thursday.
Flamenco

I may have posted this twice, but can't see the original one, so will try again! Has anyone been given the choice of either having chemo before or after surgery? I have a Grade 3 lump which is fast growing so they're fairly certain I will need chemo, which I could have before surgery to reduce the size of the lump (meaning less surgery needed) or after if I want the main lump removed first. Does anyone know if there are any risks in doing it first e.g. is it possible the chemo won't reduce the lump and it may even grow before surgery, in a worst case scenario? I'm seeing the oncologist next week, so I guess I will know more then...
La-La

Thanks so much.. yep, totally different timings to what my nurse told me.
She's on hols next week so I'll call Monday and ask the other one if I can have it on for less time (I think there are 2 types... one like yours that is freezing cold gel, the other has freezing water fliwing through it... I winder if that is the difference.

Glad it was not too awful. Hope you have a good night's sleep and don't feel too rough tomorrow xxxx
Mimselina

The cold cap had to go on for 30 mins before the chemo started but that was fine because they gave me anti-sickness tablets that I had to take an hour before the chemo so while they were waiting for them to work they did the cold cap.

The chemo went in as three different parts so they did the "hairlosing" part of the chemo first so and let the cap stay on my head to "defrost" (this took about 90 mins) while they did the last part of the chemo really slowly. She did tell me which one was wich but I am afraid I can't remember, the last part is the one that makes you feel that you are being punched in the nose but because she was running it through realy slowly (to let the cold cap defrost at the same time) I didn't feel anything bad when it was going in. She also sorted out my medicines after while the cold cap was defrosting so I wasn't just sitting around waiting at any point.

I hope this made some sense, my brain seems to be working very slowly at the moment.

La-La

I may speak to another nurse..that one is iff next week anyway so the ither one may be a fan. Frustrating.

Is it right that you need to have it on that long?

What time are you going in?
If i've missed you, best of luck Mims xxx
Mimselina

My breast cancer nurse has been the complete opposite, she has been very encouraging about the cold cap and really recommended that I try it.
My main concern if I didn't do the cold cap is that I wouldn't get a wig in time because I still haven't been to the "wig clinic".

La-La

Mims - good luck tomorrow, let me know about cold cap.. my chemo nurse put me off it saying I'd have to go in 2hrs ahead of chemo to have it put on, then it has to stay on for another hour and a half after chemo? (Total of about 4.4 hours??)
Sounds odd.. capillaries would contract fairly fast I'd have thought, so 2 hours???
Sounds more like she is not a fan to me... be interested to know your experience.
Hope all goes well xx

Hannah: Oh dear! What a shock that must have been! You finally got that Hollywood down below! I was just wondering today about other body hair! Was wondering if I could use my frozen gel eye pads I use for migraines as a DIY cold cap version to stop my eyebrows/lashes coming out too :0
How is the rest of your hair doing?
hannah203

Good luck ❤️ I'm sure you'll do great x x x x
Mimselina

I am all set for my first FEC in the morning. I have decided to give the cold cap a try but to be honest I am not too bothered, if it proves to be too much hassle then forget it. It is funny how much priorities change.

hannah203

Hi LA LA I think I over did it yesterday As I've been feeling tired today but on a whole fine. Pubic hair is falling out fast and had a hairy loo seat earlier when I stood up lol. I'm not working.... Wouldn't want to as my job is so stressful & I'm not allowed as there's an infection risk. If I had a low stress non physical job it would be do-able the way I'm currently feeling xxx
La-La

Hope yours clears up.. as if you didn't have enough to deal with!
Bernie610

I have been using it topically as Zovirax La La it's fine to use like that I have been advised by 2 pharmacists & a nurse practitioner. Orally is via Px so would be on medical advice and guidance of a doctor only.
La-La

Are you allowed to take acyclovir when on chemo? (For cold sores)
Bernie610

Thanks Hannah. Think I'm going to have to give in and ask GP for something for cold sore as fed up of the "urrs you need to get that looked at" from everyone. Good luck today Mimselima at Oncology appointment and Sods hope your ok after yours yesterday. Hope you are ok Ali? I emphasise with you re diagnosis and possibility of things lurking my diagnosis changed so many times it pushed me off the scale. Good luck with results xxx
La-La

Hannah.. same boat re friends wanting to fundraise.. feel awkward but gosh anything would be welcome.
Spoke to bank yesterday.. very sympathetic but I could almost see the woman doing sums in her head and figuring out when my money will run out ('middle of July dear' I wanted to say.)

I'm having a yard sale on Sunday (rain please hold off!) and donating 20% to this website, so hopefully will give me a bit of much needed space in my house, a little money, and the fact that it is also for charity hopefully means folk will turn up.. otherwise I'll be sat in my front garden in a blanket all day!!
La-La

Jules.. hope you feel better soon xxx
La-La

Hope today is a better day for everyone.

Saw chemo nurse yesterday, she talked me out of bothering with the cold cap, have to have it put in 2 hours befoe chemo and 1.5 hours after? (Chemo is only 1 hour, so quadruples time!)
Plus she said results are not great (thin poor quality hair) ... plus you can't have hair colour treatments during chemo, so I'd just have thin dark (or possibly grey) roots.
Bigger things to worry about so not bothering.

Bone scans Friday
Port o cath fitting hopefully next Weds
Chemo starts next Thursday.

Dealing with finances today.

So much involved. I'm struggling to focus at work and cgemo hasn't even started.

Are there less tests and visits once chemo actually gets going? (I know I have to go in for blood tests day before chemo, but apart from that are there any other appts/ongoing tests?

Hannah, how are you this week? Feel back to normal? Are you working?
jules_66

Heard last night chemo starting on 21st. Had hoped it would be sooner but there it is.
Am waiting to hear back re holiday, they said they would do their best so fingers crossed.
Still feeling rubbish today but hoping to do first day at local hospice, feeling the need of a bit if recreational therapy and pampering!!
Have a good day all. Jules xx
hannah203

PS Jules - hope your cold clears up before you hear from chemo people, I'm sure tour BCN would be able to chase them up if you wanted x
hannah203

Bernie sorry you're having a down day, god knows we're allowed them. And I'm even sorrier you have to deal with student fiance england 'plonkers' doesn't even come close to it. Hopefully they've become more helpful in the 4 years since I graduated!!
La-La

Jules.. if you paid via Barclaycard you may be covered re holiday?
Also worth check if you bank account includes travel insurance (it is a Perk on mine)

That is a bummer.

I had to tell my 11 year old this kai-boshed summer holiday... think he was more upset about that 😮

Bernie610

Hi all well done to your daughters Jules! My daughter has managed to manipulate my and her friends to do Pretty Muddy, not convinced they know what they have signed up for! Good luck at GP Hannah I picked my usual Px up this weekend the pharmacy very kindly told me it is on the system that I don't need to pay for Px's now I am receiving treatment. While it is a helpful thing it also made me feel....well I don't know exactly how it made me feel other than it reinforced my illness and I don't like it. The finance is a worry that is true, my income will reduce to half in September there is no way I will be back at work then as hopefully op will be September. I have been trying to sort out student finance for my daughter to start Uni in September what a nightmare, I have to now fill in more forms predicting that my income will half in September. I find these things hard as it means I have to face up to things. I think I feel ok physically other than as you say Hannah tire easily and not forgetting the enormous cold sore that gravitates outward to nearly an inch in sure! I keep catching it in bed ouch!! Didn't watch the C Word my daughter and my OH watched it. My daughter is a lovely intelligent girl, although she is 18 she is just so young and inexperienced in the big bad world and I did worry about her watching it. I went to bed she kept coming up to hug me and tell me she loved me 😞 😞 The postman has just delivered a Macmillan 'Essential work and cancer toolkit' oh Good Lord, my fault my line manager did ask if I wanted her to post it to me but really I will not be looking at it today. Sorry too an on I am obviously having a bad day today Hannah your upbeat posts with list of ailments - living the glam life and people donating money to the poor girl with BC made me smile 🙂 Annoying re your holiday Jules, hope they have a heart. Good luck everyone starting chemo soon and with forthcoming scans. 'I'm off to sulk and stare at the growth coming out of my lip again before back to the student finance forms. Shocking weather here today pouting down and blowing a gale xxxxx
jules_66

Hi Hannah
So glad you are feeling better 🙂
I didn't watch The c Word as OH wasn't comfortable with it, but I plan to watch it this week. My eldest watched it and said it made her laugh and cry but she is really glad she did watch it.
Good luck with getting the all the side effects sorted, never ending isn't it?
Thanks for info on scan. I had to go to nuclear medicine to have the radioactive dye in before the mastectomy so at least know where to find it this time!!
I have been feeling really grotty since Saturday evening, think I may have some sort of viral bug (my youngest had similar last week). Really hoping it disappears quickly as don't want it delaying start of chemo (not that 'Ive heard from hospital yet 😞 ) Also feeling bit down as trying to cancel holiday as Onc and Cons said it was a no go!! Hadn't taken out insurance (lesson learnt) before diagnosis so really hoping they will have some compassion and at least offer voucher against future booking.
xxx