Hey everyone

Hey everyone,

My name is Linney and I am 52 years old. I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Cancer, grade two, in April 2013. I had two tumours removed and underwent 6 cycles of E.C. Chemotherapy and 20 sessions of Radiotherapy, which finished in January 2014. Although my treatment has finished, I have been left with a terrible sadness and acute anxiety, to the point that I no longer want to leave my house. My G.P. prescribed “sertraline tablets”, but I had a reaction to them and found myself in hospital! My dosage is being reduced and I have been prescribed “Fluoxetine” which I begin in two days time. I feel that I have lost my way and live under a dark cloud that I cannot escape. I cry great sobs and I don’t know why? Is this going to be my life from now on?  Will I ever get back to work? Is there anyone who can offer advice and support - maybe someone has gone through the same thing?

Thank you,

Linney.

Hi Linney,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2, the helpline staff will be only too happy to talk to you about how you are feeling now, they’re here to support you.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/moving-forward-resource-pack-patients-living-beyond-breast-cancer-bcc197

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/moving-forward/moving-forward-support-you-after-treatment-sm23

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi linney, my name is Bobbie. I’m 42 and like you I was diagnosed in April last year, mine was grade 3 , I had a mastectomy in May and had 6 cycles of FEC , all my treatment finished in October last year, although I have to take tamoxifen for the next 10years…I am also going through what you are, I spend days crying for no reason, I feel as thou I should b getting on with my life as I’ve beaten the cancer, but I feel very low and like you for some reason I panic when I have to leave the house, I haven’t gone back to work either yet and I feel there is a black cloud hanging over me… I’m off to the docs on Tuesday to see if I can get anything to help… If u fancy a chat either on here or by private message I’m here to listen

Take care Bobbie

Hello guys…its still early days for me. Expecting result of biopsy this week. Watch this space. If its not good news…I will be back looking for support.  Loving the forum. Good luck with your treatment.

Hotlips50 xx

Hi Bobbie and Linney,

Thank you for your support.  It is so good to know others are also going through this.  I have found that the so- called treatment has caused me the most distress.  (Operation scars, loss of breast and appearance, side-effects of radio and chemotherapy).  It is so isolating, as people say I can now put it behind me and be grateful I am well.  I am Stage 3, and relapse is quite likely.

I will not be returning to work, as I have already lost my job in the NHS due to having depression.  They were very unsupportive employers!  What are your employers like?

I would like to go swimming one day, but am worried about communal changing rooms and wearing prosthesis, incase it is obvious.

I can’t wait for Spring and Summer.  After my op in June, it really helped to sit out in the sun.  It felt very healing.  Another helpful thing has been free complimentary therapies, and also the “look good, feel better” session.  Have you heard about this?  You get given a really wonderful bag full of skin care and makeup, which is donated by big brands, like Estee Lauder and Clinique.  It felt so good after all the losses, to be given something lovely.

Best wishes,

Louise xx

Hi Linney,

It seems a lot of us feel the post cancer treatment blues. Here iare two links to  threads for people like us to hang out and have a little cry:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Living-with-breast-cancer/Standing-outside-the-dark-dark-woods/m-p/518904#U518904

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Recovering-from-treatment/bd-p/4442

Look forward to seeing you there one day soon. 

Take care

poemsgalore xx