Hi, I'm a newbie. Had first FEC yesterday

Hi everyone, I was dx with Stage 1 Grade 2 er+ node negative bc in the left breast on January 20th aged 39. This was just 6 days before I was due to have preventative bilateral mx at St Thomas’s London, due to my BRCA2+ genetic status which I found out about in March 2010.

The bc was picked up on a routine MRI scan which was part of the work-up to my “preventative” surgery. I had a 4cm DCIS with 8mm invasive bc with signs of lymphovascular invasion (apparently limited to breast but that term made my toes curl up). On January 26th I had my bilateral mx with DIEP/tummy fat reconstruction as planned, and they did sentinel node biopsy at the same time.

As the nodes came back clear, I was steered towards having ovary removal/suppression and Tamoxifen only but I made it very clear I wanted to do everything and that meant having chemo. The onc supported my decision and those extra few percent are worth fighting for! Furthermore, my mum died of brain mets while on Tamoxifen so I don’t have any faith that it will be successful for me as maybe our family have a specific type of ca

I had my first FEC with the cold cap yesterday and so far so good! The cold cap is hard to bear for 15 minutes then you get used to it. I have been a bit tired but have eaten normally with a little faint nausea but all better than I thought. I found the thread on here list and tips for chemo very very useful, thank you ladies! Vanessa

Glad it’s going well for you so far. I also found FEC pretty tolerable - I was lucky not to suffer with nausea - and had excellent results with the cold cap.

finty xx

The nausea has completely disappeared after I took my morning medication and I have felt normal all day. I did notice my cheeks look slightly flushed but I have’t had any proper hot flushes. Any idea how long it will be before the menopausal symptoms kick in?

HI foxylondon - yeh my cheeks went really red while I did my FEC - think it was better in the shade / less bright rooms mind you. Hope it continues to go OK - well done doing cold cap - I couldn’t face it, but then I’ve always had short hair, best wishes Nicola

Wow, foxy, I’m dead impressed with your SEs, maybe that’s how it’s SUPPOSED to be! I was dreadfully sick so it’s really good to read someone who’s had manageable SEs.

The pink face could well be a response to the steroids. I think it takes a bit of a while before menopausal symptoms kick in, perhaps three or four cycles of FEC. I’ve had FEC1 and had a period at the usual time, so it’s early days yet.

There’s a thread knocking around for people who’ve started chemo in March, feel free to join in. I’m sure it’ll make it onto the first page of Latest Posts fairly soon.

Thanks Chocciemuffin, I have joined the march thread x

Hi

I am on FEC4 and haven’t been too bad. Only one day of sickness on FEC2 and no sign of any menopause symptoms. I have put on a bit of weight but mainly due to me not being as strict with my diet and not moving around so much - i’m still fitting into my clothes but they’re a little tighter. My worst SE is feeling ‘drugged’ which of course we are. I get quite miserable when feeling like this but as yet the feeling has only really lasted a few days.

Good luck with the rest of the treatment.

At 3.30 I had an energy crash and went for a lie down, could this be the Dex steroid (taken at 8am) wearing off?

Hi Foxy, Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Good for you that you’ve chosen to do with the chemo!I had FEC2 yesterday and had a hot flush during the night. had to dry myself off with a towel. I found my energy dipped a bit with FEC 1, I don’t think it was as a result of the steriods though. i just felt a wave of tiredness wash over me and could have laid down and had a sleep (which I didn’t as I was at work but did sit down and do nothing for half an hour or so). Take it easy Foxy,

Lisa

I’m on day 15 of FEC1 and I have found myself really wanting a snooze in the afternoons, and have been totally pooped if I haven’t managed a snooze. Less so as time goes on, but if you need to sleep, then sleep. Our bodies need the time to recover from the chemicals and sleeping is a very good way of helping the body recover.