Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Ladies from the young womens forum at Brum 16 th 17th Oc

40 REPLIES 40
lisa_lisa

Re: Hi Ladies from the young womens forum at Brum 16 th 17th Oc

Hi ladies
just put up tree and really looking forward to Christmas my youngest is so excited makes it all worth it what Ive been through to see her face Bless !!!!
Sam thanks and if you ever need a chat Im here to .
Jayne I will be thinking of you on Dec 18th lets hope by Christmas Day your feeling better and enjoying your Christmas dinner .
Cant belive how anyone can be up to working dont think I will be back Jan due to arm looking at being back in Feb now !!!!!
Still waiting for treatment on arm due to repeat infection on 3rd lot of antibiotics and take each lot for 2 weeks so not chance of a drink for me lol ...
Any way hope every one has enjoyed putting up Christmas decorations hope the new year gives us all a way of rapping up the year we have all just had .
Love to you all have a great Christmas xx
Love Lisa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello lovely ladies

Sorry its been a while since my last post but I have been shattered with work. I am only working mornings at the moment but I am having to rest when I get home and then I just feel shattered all the time. The venlaflaxine didn't work for me as it made me really sick and Oncologist is being crap at coming up with an alternative, if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Lisa I am on a bit of a downer as well, it could be the change in the weather but I know how you feel hon and am always available for a chat if you want to. I am really glad you had a great birthday

Jayne I know what you mean about your hair, mine is growing back but I want to be able to go out without wigs etc ...

Teresa it was great to hear such a positive message

I just want to send you all lots of smiles and big hugs xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Well done on the diet Lisa - good for you.
Wish my hair would come thick and fast, as you can see by the lastes photo I have a good covering now - but I am impatient - afterall it is only 2 weeks after last chemo!
Sorry about the arm, is there anything else that you can do to help with the pain. Have you tried the tape that was mentioned??? Supposed to have good results........
I've been really tearful since last chemo, really bad some days, far worse than when going through chemo! Perhaps reality has dawned on what I've just been through.................. also worried sick about every ache and pain, think it's spreading. Be glad to get these nodes out on 18th Dec - let's hope there has been no further spread - keep everything crossed for me!
Hopefully you're feeling a bit more chipper today???
Hi to all you loverly ladies!
x

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies how are we all , lost 8lb so far on diet and had my bike , having a dark day today but been strong so far so I think its only natural .
Hair coming on a treat really thick.
Lymphadima really bad at mo
Sorry to post a downer ..
Hope everyone else is more upbeat
Lisa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, hope everyone is OK and coping Ok with this cold weather!
Lisa, Jayne, hope you're feeling well(ish!?) - Sam, how are coping with work, not too shattered I hope?!
Had my latest visit with the oncologist a couple weeks ago and all is fine. Have my next appointment the end of Feb and learned that the hospital can't be cancelling any more appointments (had previous 2 cancelled before the October one!) as they need to be doing paperwork etc on a regular basis as I had my chemo as part of a clinical trial - let 'em try now!
Carrying on with Tamoxifen and Zoladex and although I get hot flushes, aches and pains it's managable - better now that I reduced my working hours down a bit so can fit in housework a bit better after work! (or not!!)
Had a message left by my doctors surgery asking me to arrange an appointment to have the swine flu vaccination - wondered whether anyone else had had this? Have read another post on the pros and cons but opinions seem to vary! I've not had a cold for ages (random sniffles or sore throat is all) and considering I work in a nursery with all the children getting bugs etc, I think thats quite good going! But would it be tempting fate not having it? Have to speak to my doctor anyway so will see what she thinks but in the meantime......!!

Something to mull over I think!
Take care, Jackie xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, hope everyone is OK and coping Ok with this cold weather!
Lisa, Jayne, hope you're feeling well(ish!?) - Sam, how are coping with work, not too shattered I hope?!
Had my latest visit with the oncologist a couple weeks ago and all is fine. Have my next appointment the end of Feb and learned that the hospital can't be cancelling any more appointments (had previous 2 cancelled before the October one!) as they need to be doing paperwork etc on a regular basis as I had my chemo as part of a clinical trial - let 'em try now!
Carrying on with Tamoxifen and Zoladex and although I get hot flushes, aches and pains it's managable - better now that I reduced my working hours down a bit so can fit in housework a bit better after work! (or not!!)
Had a message left by my doctors surgery asking me to arrange an appointment to have the swine flu vaccination - wondered whether anyone else had had this? Have read another post on the pros and cons but opinions seem to vary! I've not had a cold for ages (random sniffles or sore throat is all) and considering I work in a nursery with all the children getting bugs etc, I think thats quite good going! But would it be tempting fate not having it? Have to speak to my doctor anyway so will see what she thinks but in the meantime......!!

Something to mull over I think!
Take care, Jackie xx

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies . make the most of being looked after Jayne
Thanks Teresa think we all needed that post Had great 40th thanks really let my hair down lol !!!!!
Party was fab I had the mike in my hand most of the night ....

Had some fab presies think everyone was a bit more generous due to whats happened but mom said its cause im speacial lol

Even had vochers from halfords I really want a bike to get rid of the extra stonessssss .
Come down with a bit of a bump ... think ive stayed so positive I had to come down arm playing me up and get results from bone scan soon checking for osteo ....also having scan on stomache all the tabs seem to be causing probs oh well onward and up wards ,,,,
Love to you all be back on soon
Lisax

Guest user
Not applicable

Teresa

What a positive post to read, a herceptin lady that has reached the end!!!! I am just starting my journey, 2 down and 16 to go!

Well girls, had last chemo on Monday so just waiting for bus to stop at my stop....... get this week out of the way and next and hopefully will start to feel a bit more human. Lymph node clearance is booked for 18th Dec and will be in for 4 days (groan) that means hubby will be cooking the turkey! But just want to get rid of those nodes.............

Lisa - hope you had a good 40th???
Love to all.
xxx

annebaker

Hi everyone

Sorry for the delay in posting on this. Been a little busy with work since the forum. I'm Teresa, from Solihull, one of the midwives!!!!

Thanks very much to everyone who helped make my weekend so useful and inspiring. It was great to meet you all.

I wish all of you,that are still having chemo and herceptin,the very best of wishes! And to let you know, that although it doesnt always seem like it, there is an end to the tunnel!!!

Im now 15 months post chemo
& radio, and 7 months post herceptin! Im back at work, going the gym (which I never thought Id get the energy for!), and loosing that excess weight gain!!! Plannin my wedding next year and a 9-12 months travelling around the world!!

It feels a bit like 2008 never happened!!! Its amazing how well we get through these things. Still tierd alot, and taking tamoxifen can have its down sides, but i think overall im doing well.

Keep positive everyone, you will get through it.

Teresa (Solihull)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone

Lisa, Happy Birthday honey, hope you have a great time.
Jayne - I hope you have a better week

I have just seen my oncologist and he has given me a perscription for some very low dose anti depressants to help with my hot flushes and sweats, does anyone else have these and do they work?

Hope you are all ok, I am back at work part time and it is shattering me!!!!

Sam xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Lisa! I will raise a glass for you!
Take care honi
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lisa, have a fabby birthday, I so loved my 40th, best birthday ever, went to New York, amazing!!!!

I will raise a glass of vino to you on Friday, enjoy

love Carol xxxx

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies and Jayne had crap week probs with arm got celulitus again so going to be put on more antibiotics might have to have low does for the forseeable future Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had nails done which was nice
And having big party on Friday Im going to be 40 !!!!!!

Going to let my hair down lol
Love to you all raise a glass for me on Friday , cant drink due to strong antibiotics ....
Love Lisa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Just thought I would drop in and see how you all are??? Really nice to read some of the posts that life is getting back to some normality. Had a rubbish week last week, but turned the corner over the weekend. Have my last chemo next Monday - yay!!!!!! Surely Herceptin will be a doddle after that? Just got to hope that the veins will be good enough for a year. Samina, my hair is growing back, and now have a slight covering all over, bit like a dark brillo pad - v fetching!
Sam - let us know how you get on with Gok and if you get a response!Off to a LGFB session on Thursday so looking forward to that.

Hope you are all doing ok and for those of us still having treatment, keep going girls and those of you out the other end, keep telling us how good it is and brilliant you feel!!!!!
Jayney
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there

I have looked into the Gok thing and there is an application form on the website and a phone number so I have called and left a message and will let you all know when I hear back. I would have thought it would have been right up his street as it involves lots of boobs in different shapes, sizes, textures etc. It could be a whole new experience for him.

I have decided not to go to Sheffield as I will have just started back to work and will probably need the weekends to recover.

The nail thing sounds great, I look forward to hearing more about it. My nails are very ridged post chemo and toe nails are dreadful!!!

I wish you all a great forthcoming weekend.

Sam x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
I hope your all well and recovering. I think things are finally starting to get back to the way they were before diagnoses, with me running around doing hundreds of jobs etc.

Emma hope you have a great day having your nails done that Taxotere has alot to answer for, my nails are still crap.

Jayney hope your ok after chemo and Herceptin, and dont take notice of all the horror stories on here, I had herceptin num10 on Monday and my hair is thicker than it was before and growing really quick, put it this way I will have to go for a haircut again so I dont think Herceptin has halfed the speed. I find it gentle to my body, especially after chemo.

Take Care Everyone
Samina xxx

lisa_lisa

Hi Emma see you in November also havin nails done , hope everyone is well ssp just finished trying to claim for next thing its a right pain will be on phone all day trying to get all the info they want !!!! Just had great weekend my baby turned 12 !!!!!
Lisa xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Heh there lovely ladies, hope everyone's doing ok. Not gonna make it to Sheffield I'm afraid, just got too much on at the mo. Not that I'm complaining cus it's great to be getting back to normal. Got a place on a Look Good Feel Better Nails session on the 9th November in Wolverhampton which I cant wait for, my nails are in a horrendous state thanks to Taxotere lol!

How fantastic would that be for Gok to sort us all out, think he's amazing bless him. Well good luck to all the ladies still on chemo, I've just got 1 week left of radio, it's flown by.

Love to all xxxx Em

PS Very jealous Samina, I cant wait to have an actual hair do again lol

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi you loverly ladies

Just popping in before the chemo bus hits me tomorrow!

Had chemo 7 on Monday and back Tues for Herceptin. So am now in the Herceptin gang too - No allergic reaction so so far so good! 17 Herceptins to go - yay!!! Surgery has been pencilled in for 18th Dec, with rads to follow sometime end of Jan and tamoxifen to start at some point. Just waiting for the bus to stop, usually tomorrow if last 2 have been anything to go by - let's hope it doesn't stop at all this time. The tiredness is pretty bad now, but maybe just the effect of 6 chemos! Managed a large scone with clotted cream and jam this afternoon with friend in local garden centre (definitely counts as 1 of my 5 a day) but could taste it. Mouth is yak!!!

Lisa, I too have spoken about having ovaries removed and my ONC is of the opinion that tamoxifen is just as effective at surpressing the ovaries and removal is not necessary at the moment. This is based on the last lot of trials on clinical evidence, but as you know, science is moving all the time and new evidence is available. So at the moment, he is recommending that I keep mine as ditching them will only put me into an early menopause (with potentially more problems) and no real advantages. Ask lots of questions and try to get to the bottom of where the evidence is coming from and that it will be benefical to have them removed (just my take on it). Hope you are still showing off that fabulous barnet?????

Count me on to be Goked as it were - Samina - hair cut sounds great. I read a depressing post that your hair grows back at half the speed when on Herceptin???, but then I don't believe everything I read on here ..............
I won't make Sheffield unfortunately, just a little too far for me!

Thanks for all your support.
xxx

lisa_lisa

Wow Samina a hair cut how great does that sound , cant wait to be able to do that , might make a night of it we have hotel in shefield ( work not me lol ) might try and get a cheap stay for me an hubby and come to the meet .
yes ladies have a nice pink weekend , great to see so much of it around at the mo ..
Love Lisa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies

I really hope the chemo ladies have an easy time this week. I will see if I can do anything about the Gok thing, I will keep you all posted!!!

Lisa, I have used the helpline and they were very helpful. I spoke to a nurse and she gave me great information and peer support were very good too.

I am thinking about Sheffield as I will be just back at work and don't want to get too knackered but I think it is a really good idea and I am going to think on it some more.

I am chilling out this weekend and trying to get my energy levels back to "normal" post chemo!!!

Have a good weekend everyone

Sam xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
Hope your all well and starting to recover from last week, cant believe it is a week already. Good luck to the girls having chemo next week, I hope you feel ok after it. Hope your ok Lisa? It is another hurdle but you can do it,after chemo I think we are capable of getting through anything. Im so proud of you for going outwithout anything and showing of your beautiful hair. I had my 1st haircut today and gosh it felt great, I actually have a style now lol so if anyone does get in touch with Gok count me in, I think he's great and he might be up for the challenge.
I got my invitation to Sheffield and I think I might go, is anyone else going?

Got to go now my Doughnut is calling me, do u think the rasberry jam could be counted into my five a day?

Have a great pink weekend everyone
Take care
Samina xxx

lisa_lisa

Hi Lovely ladies Good luck with chemo take it easy , Yes im up for a gok make over lol , just saw onc Im being put on arimidex and injections to make me post menapauseal or I can have my overies removed !!!!!!!!!!! Now I wish I could go back to our weekend away and ask loads more questions !!!!!!
Oh well the next hurdle I surpose may be I will call the help line tomorro not tryed that yet , will let you know
Enjoy the weekend ladies
love Lisa x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, hope everyone is Ok and ready for the weekend - albeit not quite the luxury we had last week!
Sam, I reckon Gok would have a bit of a challenge on his hands but it would be fun! Maybe that's what we'd need at some point, a bit of a girly pamper session, trying on new clothes etc!
Is anyone going to the focus group in Sheffield in November - letter came today? That came in the post along with an offer to join a local gym - is that a sign!?
Good luck to those who are having chemo next week, hope it's not too bad for you.
Take care, Jackie xx

princess18

Hi ladies,

apologies for the lateness of this post, no excuses really so shame on me! I'm kelly, the one who ALWAYS had a million questions to ask no matter what the subject!!! The gobby southerner to put it another way!

I can't believe already a week has gone by since we were enjoying all the delights that fab hotel had to offer. Think I've STILL got a hangover from our exploits on fri night (you know who you are!).

It was so great to meet you all and its brill that lisa has started this thread so we can still keep in touch.

Have a fab weekend all, whatever you're up to. Just a quiet one for me I reckon, still recovering I think!

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Guest user
Not applicable

chemo number 6 for me on wednesday, dreading it too!!

good luck, hope it goes well

Guest user
Not applicable

Lisa - well done you - you look fab and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chemo No 7 for me on Monday (dreading it already!).
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there everyone, (this is Sam by the way)

Sorry I am late in posting but it has been hectic as I went to see my Mum after the forum and then was in London on Monday!!! Busy, Busy.

I want to say how lovely it was to meet you all and to hear your stories of what has happened and how you all coped etc, it made me feel stronger to be able to go forward.

Also I went to London only wearing a cap, thanks Sally for my inspiration and it was great.

Well done Lisa, I knew you could do it, you look great with your natural hair so I think you should flaunt it!!!

Jackie, I know what you mean, I would love Gok to sort me out - maybe we should ask him to sort out a bunch of us younger breast cancer ladies - who could resist us!!!!!

Love to you all

Sam xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lisa, well done you! Getting used to doing tings without a hat or scarf - when your hair is really short, is such a milestone. When I went back to work, I wore a hat for most of the time (but it was winter too!) and was tucked away in a little office and when I felt brave enough to walk across the garden to the main office, I had to check with a couple of the girls as to how it looked!
Wonder how many of us are making an extra effort with the healthy eating - I know I am! Might even dig out my slow cooker and get organised with veggies and stuff before I go to work! Watch this space!
Hope everyone's OK,
Jackie xx
ps; just watched Gok on TV, wish he could come and sort my wardrobe out!!

lisa_lisa

Hi Great to see all the posts , just to let you know just been to nurse and asked her to applied for the slimming world membership for me , so the healthy eating talk is working.
And for all my weekend swimming partners just to let you know tuck the children swimming and did it with nothing on my head thanks for giving me the confidence .
Lisa xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello to everyone who went to the young womens forum,

I really really enjoyed it too.. it was great to spend time with everyone, to chat, moan, laugh, eat, only wish we could have one every month, wishing all the best to you all.

peppa

Hi
I also had to pull out of the weekend on thursday as was still suffering the s/e from 1st taxatore. So peed i missed out on meeting you girls, but glad you had a good time.

Gina

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls...just gatecrashing in on this thread !

I was down to come to the Young womens forum in Birmingham (its 5 mins from my house!!) but my husband had to work away from home this weekend and I had no one to have my girls...so I couldnt come...agh!

Sounds like it was well worth while...you all sound very inspired and very positive. Sounds like I missed a good weekend of food and chatting....bliss !

xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Wasn't it great to meet with like minded people and exchange info and share experiences! It was great to meet you all. I was shattered yesterday, but I think that was down to all the chatting we did!
Great to meet you at last Lisa and thanks for starting the thread! Didn't we have a laugh!
Counting down to my last 2 chemos .....................
LOL

Jayney
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to everyone!
It's Kate here, one of the midwives?

Had such a fab time and felt so inspired by everything. I had a tired day too yesterday, so much good info, so much soul searching but think it's the most posiive i've been since the diagnosis!!

Thanks to everyone for putting up with my incessant chattering but I really enjoyed everyone's company and stories shared - onwards and upwards remember!!!

Lots of Love

Kate
PS; Despite OH doing shopping and vacuuming, still had washing, cleaning and washing up to do!!! Bless!

Guest user
Not applicable

Evening all!! It's Jackie (materialgirl is an indication of my fabric fetish!!) - hope everyone is OK and enjoying their Sunday - despite having to do washing, housework etc! Am feeling a touch tired too so an early night could be in order. It was a really interesting weekend and great to meet you all - once my head stops spinning from all the info, I'll be able to think of some questions for my next appointment with the oncologist - that'll shock 'em!
I found it really useful to be able to hear how others have dealt with things and to realise that the side effects and other strange things that have happened to me 'bodily' seem to be typical!
Must get on now and plan my healthy diet plan for the week!!
Take care, Jackie xx

lisa_lisa

Hi Emma Yes loads of info to take in , I think were the only ones on here at mo glad you posted the others must be cookin sunday lunch .
Julie I think if there are places they are not really strict on age they arrange every thing give them a call asap so you get a place .
Lisa

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies,
Hope everyone is ok? Dont know about you girls but im still shattered, it was a good wkend and I meet some nice people, so thanx to you all. I have spent the day cooking and cleaning so I wish I was back there.
For Westie123 im not sure what age is the cut off point but we had a great time, the Hotel and Food was all paid for the only things you have to pay for is Alcohol etc. The hotel was gorgeous and we were allowed to use the pool etc, but it was well worth it. It is 2 days full of info, dont know what kind of info your after but I found it really helpful.

Take Care
Samina xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi advice please i was looking at the ywf in glasgow in march,im 45 now but wil be 46 by then would i still be able to go? And do they organise hotel etc,or do you make your own arrangements. thanks julie

Guest user
Not applicable

Heh there Lisa it's Emma here. Def not the same, not getting spoilt at home lol. Just about to drag myself to the gym to repair some of the damage done with all that yummy food. What a great weekend tho, my brain actually hurts from all the info we got. Hope you're good xxx

lisa_lisa

Hi Ladies from the young womens forum at Brum 16 th 17th Oc

Hi Ladies
Hope its ok here and all found it ok , How is every one not the same having to cook your own dinner is it , hope every one got home ok . My bed not as comfy as the ones at the hotel , I really enjoyed myself thanks to the great company !!!!
Speak soon Lisa