Hi, bit scared fearing the worst.

Hi all,

I found these forums last week and I’ve been taking some comfort in reading other peoples stories.

I went to the breast clinic yesterday and I’m going back on Friday for a mamogram and ultrasound.

I had a painful breast for about three weeks so had a good feel around and found a lump.  They were really nice today at the clinic but I’m so frightened.

I’m so worried about what it could be, I’m imagining the worst, I can’t seem to function and instead of doing anything productive I keep googling  (I know I need to stop that)

I’ve also now got a wierd burning sensation/pain that is in my shoulder, right breast and neck so I’ve linked that with the lump.

Honestly I’m not even sure why I’m writing this, I know you guys can’t tell me it’s going to be ok, or not ok - I just feel such a mess.

Hi Honey73

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you need to talk to someone in confidence.  Lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2. 0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Emma,

Sorry you are also in this horrible nightmare called the waiting game. It really is a bad place to be, but I can assure you, you will get through it. Somehow, we all just do!

You are absolutely bound to be frightened. Unfortunately (at times like this anyway…), us humans aren’t made of stone, so can’t just switch it off. We all get scared and fear the worst sometimes, but in nearly all cases, these lumps and bumps are innocent. It may not seem like that on these forums sometimes, but most women who get great news don’t stick around on here… So most posts relate to the very small percentage of us who do have an unwelcome diagnosis.

I know it’s easy for me to say, but it really is important not to let this consume you. The best advice I can give you while you’re waiting is to spend as much time as humanly possible on doing things that will occupy your mind. Whatever floats your boat, do it. For me, I played loads of quiz type games and watched endless episodes of Pointless!!

Whatever keeps you happy, do it. You will have anxious times,and that’s when these forums and the helplines can really come into their own. In fact, I feel like Caroline and I are old friends already!!!

Please, please try not to worry and definitely STOP GOOGLING!! That’s an order!!

Let us know how it goes Emma. Wishing you the best of everything. Love Mel. xxx