Hi everyone

Hi there I’m new here, I had a bilateral mastectomy with diep reconstruction in July of 2013 when I was 29 after finding out I had the brca1 gene and having some suspicious lumps on both breasts.
I think I’ve been in a total daze since then as I have a 3yr old child and my husband is merchant navy so hasn’t been home for longer than a few weeks during the whole process. It’s just dawning on me what has happened. Luckily I don’t need any further treatment right now but I haven’t got any nipples and my scarring is very extensive and messy.
I suppose I just want a bit of reassurance and support, I don’t feel any of my friends understand what’s happened/happening and I don’t have my own mum to talk to as breast cancer took her from us 2 years ago.
Sorry for the rambling first post
Siobhan xxx

Hi harleygirl and welcome to the BCC forums

Please feel free to call our helpliners for further support, our team are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2 with practical and emotional support for you on 0808 800 6000

You may find some of the other services from BCC helpful too :

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

There is a BRCA 1 thread running which you may wish to join to share support here:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Younger-women-and-families/BRCA-gene/m-p/796578#U796578

Take care
Lucy BCC

thankyou :slight_smile: will have a look at the thread xxx

Hi Siobhan
Welcome to the forum . I’m a newbie too so we have that in common.
This disease is awful and life changing for all of us, but for you to go through it at such a young age, I can’t even imagine what you have been through.
I’m only recently diagnosed with IDC so I’ve got a long road ahead of me.
Is your treatment finished now ? I hope you can now look forward to a long and healthy future.
Love and hugs Judy x