Hi told yesterday at chemo need to start Herceptin, Any advi

Hi as I said about to start Herceptin while receiving my 6 weeks of Rads, finished 6 sessions of chemo yesterday, but due 3 more sessions after rads finish, with the Herceptin alongside.

Very worried on SE. as do suffer quite bad with chemo SE at the moment.

Also went through all my chemo with broken and collapsed veins and yesterday they told me i’m too have a internal port fitted in my chest for the rest of my treatment, so feeling quite daunted at the moment.

Any advice on any of these matters would be greatly received, as rather confused at the moment I also live in Spain so i have the difficulty of language barriers and don’t really have a dedicated nurse who I can ask advice…

Many thanks Love Teresa x

Hi Teresa,

Am hoping my post will be reassuring for you. I have a port fitted now for 3 years and like many here I wouldn’t be without it. Once it is in you don’t have to do anything - it is under the skin with no trailing tubes coming out and it doesn’t hurt at all when they access it. There are a lot of posts here about portacath which you could do a search on. As for the herceptin again I have been on it a long time as I have secondaries but I have never suffered with side effects. Sometimes with the initial one you get odd flu like symptoms but most people have very little in the way of se. I think anyone who has got thru chemos - well herceptin is nothing like that. Do ask any more questions if it helps.

Dawn
xx

Hi Teresa - I also have a port, and although I had a few teething problems, it is now completely trouble free, and I am only rarely aware of it. One piece of advice, make sure the surgeon knows exactly what drugs you have been on - my problem with surgery arose because the surgeon didn’t know I was on Avastin, which hindered blood clotting. If you are on standard chemo, I shouldn’t imagine it would be an issue - but just in case.

As I also have secondaries, I imagine I will have my port for life - it is a huge relief not to be stuck with a needle every 3 weeks and not having “addict arms” any more.

Hi Theresa,

Congrats on finishing chemo it is a wondeful feeling that bits over with, The portocaths are brilliant, i had rubbish veins before chemo started so have had one all along, I am sure it will make it a lot easier for you.
I too suffered with very bad SE of chemo and was very worried about herecptin, but ive got number 7 on Monday, the first one felt rough and very achy for a few days, and each one I feel tired lethargic and a bit joint aches for a few days but it is nothing compared to the chemo. I am back at work now and managing my two kids also so within 4 months you feel so much better,
Take care Nicki xxxxxx

Thanks Ladies, it was all just a bit of a shock, I thought Rads and Tam and that was it, not this extra year just thrown in between.

Everyone has said the same the port should hopefully be a godsend, especially the pain i am in now from the last lot of chemo… My arms black and purple and can hardly use it!!!

So once again thank you for all your great advice…

Love Teresa xxx

Thanks Ladies, it was all just a bit of a shock, I thought Rads and Tam and that was it, not this extra year just thrown in between.

Everyone has said the same the port should hopefully be a godsend, especially the pain i am in now from the last lot of chemo… My arms black and purple and can hardly use it!!!

So once again thank you for all your great advice…

Love Teresa xxx