Hickman/Central Line Removal

Hi Ladies.

A quick update is that I am still at home, starting to get a bit of strength back in my legs so am managing to get around a little better. As the chemo leaves my body (4 weeks since last infusion) my mouth has become easier and I am eating a bit better, have lost loads of weight and some fluid so desperately trying to put it on now. Weight not fluid naturally. (9 kilos including fluid that’s gone in 2.5 weeks!).

Had a hospital style bed delivered to home thanks to the hospice yesterday with an air mattress as I have some pressure sores on my hip. It was a great service and my first night on it was fairly good, hopefully I’ll get used to it over the next few days. 

As I have decided on no more treatment I am going to have my Hickman line removed (I do have one good arm for blood tests which for the time being will be all that I need). It’s been in place since Jan 2015, ages I know.

Just wondered whether anyone had any experience of having one removed, was it painful? Problematic? Etc. I am really nervous in case it gets stuck as its been there so long - any advice/tips most welcome!

Thanks for listening and hope you are all as well a small can be.

Smartie X 

Hiya smartie
How nice to hear from you and you do sound a lot better without all the toxic stuff.
I had a picc line which is different but that was easy peasy being removed and good riddance as it drove me mad.
Sorry …no help but I wanted to just say hello really.
Hugs xxxc

Hi Smartie. Really good to hear from you. The air mattress does take some getting used to but they are fab. As far as I’m aware it shouldn’t be stuck and should be easy to remove. Glad you’re feeling a bit better and managing to eat more. Make sure it’s all your favourite stuff!! Lots of love and hugs xx

Hiya smartie
Glad that u have had a good nights sleep and enjoying some chocolate too …I’m afraid I love it too much and always say two o clock is chocky time.
I’m afraid I like Cadburys and galaxy too much …don’t mind Thorntons either !!!
Enjoy anyway …I’m sure the line removal will be easy and more comfy for you.
Hugs xxx

Hi Smartie, lovely to hear from you. Glad you are feeling better. Love and hugs

Moijanxx

Smartie, so pleased to hear from you and that you are feeling much better. If you have had yor line removed, hope it went well…if not, hope it goes well. With all you have faced i’m sure it will be a piece of cake…or a bag of choccy buttons!!! much love. xx