Hickman line

Hi all,

Wonder if anybody has any experience of a groshong line?  I had a failed attempt at a PICC line fitting yesterday, veins are far too narrow.  Now I have been advised to have a Groshong line fitted under sedation next Thursday.  My chemo has been delayed because of this, but I feel really nervous about it.

Can anybody who has had one tell me what the fitting procedure is like? and also where on your body did the dangly bits come out?- do they interfere with your bra or clothes? (if you had a Groshong, I know you will understand what I mean!)

Thank you for reading, any advice welcome.

Su

XX

Hi Su

Whilst you are waiting for the the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it helpful to have a chat with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open today from 10 to 2pm and weedkdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam,  BCC Facilitator 

Hi Su
I’d never heard of this so I looked on Wikipedia and it describes it as like a hickman line but with a different kind of valve on the end. Does that sound right? I know there are threads here about living with a hickman line so maybe they might help?
How did the results go on Thursday? Hope everything ok.
Emxx

Hi Su - if a Hickman line is the same I can help as had one before. Had it when i had a heart condition as was in hospital almost 3 mths and veins disapeared! Poor nurses used to dodge me as they knew it was a mission to take blood or admin meds. I was exhausted from the needles and stress of it all so the hickman line was a god send. Its easier all round and the lines can be taped down against your chest. It however needs good care with hygiene as i unfortunately had to have mine took out and replaced due to infection. (a nurse administered meds and didnt wash her hands!) but definately advantages outweighed the rare chance of this! Good luck on thurs x x

Please dont get worrying (easier said than done i know!)
They tried a picc line with me too it was a disaster!
1st one was under local, shouldnt have been a problem but i lost it and was a complete wreak as i didnt know what to expect and had a panic attack (not usual for me -id wound myself up!) It didnt hurt but i could feel the sensation of it which sounds weird. Therefore 2nd time i bottled it and had it under general, woke up and it was in!
It didnt take long - if i can remember it took bout 20mins. While its in you really do forget its there! With my 2nd one i watched the nurses and insisted they wash their hands etc. I remember being told in the cardio unit that it was usually cancer patients that had them so the nurses are trained in dealing with them.

Thought id be having another hickman but nurse thinks my veins will be ok - im not convinced!

Think BC has done the same to me - i always used to be so brave! So much we are all going through its no wonder we are like it. Please please let me know how it goes. If u think of any other questions ill try my best to help. X x

Hi Mr Munch

I had a Hickman line fitted yesterday in preparation for my first chemo on Wednesday (tomorrow). I had it fitted with sedation  and a local was given rather than a GA. Procedure lasted for about 45 mins and I woke up just before it was over but it was fine.

I asked to be sedated as I know i would have freaked out on them while they were fitting it as I am a proper wuss?

Take care

Di

Hi there! Just a quick message for tomorrow - hope all goes well x x