High calcium level in blood test?

7 REPLIES 7
pam01

Re: High calcium level in blood test?

Really pleased to hear this....Good luck with the rest of your treatment.xx

Kalo

Hi Pam,
All went well the bone scan was ok. Calcium still high tho, so not sure what's going on.
7 sleeps or rather 7 sleepless nights.
Thanks for asking
Carole x
pam01

hope all went well. pamx

Kalo

Thanks Pam,
I had more blood tests and the bone scan. They had to get closer look round my kneck and a CT scan of the same area. They wouldn't say anything but said the consultant would have the report written up by the time I go for my pre-op on Tuesday morning.
Not sure if I should be worried.!!
Carole x
pam01

good luck today!

Kalo

Hi Pam,
Thanks for your reply, it has put my mind at ease a bit.
She did mention Thyroid but I was caught off guard and never asked anything. Stupid me again!
Carole x
pam01

Hi Kalo...just saw this and thought I would pop in and reply! There are lots of reasons for a raised calcium. One is simply a sampling error or if the sample was hard to obtain....this happened to me once (long before I had secondaries) and the repeat sample at the GPs was normal....Another is if you take certain medications which can raise your calcium. Another reason can be a hormone imbalance due to a problem with your parathyroids. The reason your surgeon has arranged a bone scan is that a number of bone problems can cause a raised calaium which a bone scan can identify. One of these is secondary breast cancer (but only oneof a range of problems although the one Im sure which will worry you the most)......Your breast surgeon is just being careful by checking this out first before surgery. Raised calciums may just settle on their own. If not they can be relatively easily treated with medication.Good luck. Pamx

Kalo

High calcium level in blood test?

Hi,
Just had phone call from my surgeon, I've to go in on Thursday for another blood test(3rd) as my calcium levels are high and to get a bone scan before my op.
Anyone else had this or know what it means? Should I be worried at all?
Carole x