Hip pain on laying down..

hi everyone,i finished treatment 4yrs ago been on tamoxifen 4years.latey i have been having hip pain…i can not say really hip pain as when i am walking or sitting it is fine,its when i go to bed and lay on it!i have always slept on my left side and find now that i can’t .anyone else have anything simalar?sarah

Hi Sara63

I’m sorry to read you’re experiencing pain.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it helpful to contact the helpline on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm and the number to call is 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

Hi Sarah…I’ve just been through a similar thing, painful hip mine is giving me a sciatica twinge when I lie down or roll over in bed. I had a MRI on my spine and pelvis and was told I had degenerative disc disease where the spongy part of the disc in between the vertebra has worn down and moved slightly pressing on my nerve. I am told it is common and it is an ageing process, I am 46! I have been referred back to my gp for treatment.
I would see your gp and ask them due to previous diagnosis if you can have an MRI to check whats going on so you can hopefully put your mind at rest. Let me know how you get on, hope I have helped a little …Hugs Linda x

Mines caused by a bursa. Laying on it is agony…had a steroid injection that worked well but has now worn off.

Hi Sarah63 

I am nearly 5 years on since diagnosed with bc and have been taking letrozole. I to have hip pain on laying

down and like you are fine when standing and walking and even when cycling. Have been wondering if it

is side effects of letrozole as oncologist told me it can damage your bones. I have my yearly appointment

in June and will mention it to her then.  Don"t know whether tamoxifen has same side effects may be worth

mentioning it to oncol. Hope this helps.

Best wishes Sproodle

Hi sarah
I’ve only been in tamoxifen for about 6 weeks but have been having exactly the same symptoms as you for a few weeks now. I’m fine during the day with no pain at all… But hip pain which then travels down the leg (but very much centred in the hip) when I’m lying on my side in bed. It’s so bad it wakes me up. I never had this before I started taking tamoxifen.

I have had bursitis of the hip for about a month now, I’ve been on Tamoxifen for a year now, since finishing chemo.  They’re not sure what causes it, it’s an inflammation of the fluid which protects your joints.  Apparenlty it does affect people with low immunity or it can be caused by running or putting pressure on the hip.  

I had a steroid injection recently which helped - anti-inflammatories also help, ibuprofen and paracetamol but do see your GP if it continues.  

Hope this helps!

Catherine x

I had bursitus and injection just before bc was in no pain thanks to the injection then chemo helped now back with a vengeance. Being referred back to spinal diagnostic team. Currently have naproxin with paracetamol and sleep on back with pillow under knees. Which helps a bit.

Hi…im waiting to have a steroid injection but also have deterioration in joint just hoping most pain is the burser. Hobbling like a granny. Hows it going for you?

No antibiotics just waiting for steroid injection worjed well last time lasted about 8 months pain this time is worse initially was when i lay on it now get it with walkng radiates down leg.