Hip pain

Hip pain

Hip pain Hi,
I had a WLE/ANC followed by rads last summer, no node involvement. For the past few weeks I’ve had severe pain in my hip which sometimes is accompanied by sciatica. The area over the hip is very tender and he focus of the pain seems to be in a very precise small area. It doesn’t seem to be linked to anything I do, like exercise, and my mobility is not affected at all. I went to see my GP a couple of weeks ago and was prescribed painkillers which haven’t helped at all. The pain is much worse at night. Last week she sent me for a spine and pelvic x ray and blood tests. I phoned on Friday for the results to be told the blood tests were ok but the x rays weren’t and I have an appointment to go back on Tuesday. I know my prognosis was really good and I am trying to rationalise that it is probably nothing to do with the breast cancer but I can’t help feeling worried all the same. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Nicky x

Dear Nicky I am sorry to read that you are going through such a difficult time at the moment, please do not hesitate to contact our confidential helpline on 0808 800 6000 for further support from our team of helpliners who are either breast care nurses or have had personal experience of breast cancer.

The helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi nicky,

It sounds as if your GP has done the sensible thing and got it checked out quickly. If this is bone mets - and in a way I hope what follows is reassuring. It is possible just to have the odd ‘hot spot’ and further scans may tell them a bit more. I was dx with bone mets over 4 years ago now and that started with my hip and sciatica - but again other things can be causing that. I have been on bisphosphonates since then and my bone disease has improved a lot. If it is just the one spot and you have a lot of pain they may treat it with just one or two doses of radiotherapy which is very successful. I wish you all the best for your appointment on Tuesday. I don’t know if you are a member of bcpals but if you wanted to talk more after Tuesday do find me there - same nick as here.

lol Dawnhc

thanks Hi Dawn,
Thank you very much for your reply, I have followed some of your posts over the last year and know that you have had a long battle with this disease yet always seem to be able to give positive help and reassurance.

I know that there are several reasons why I could be having this pain other than bone mets and I am trying to think positively, but I have some arthritis in other bits of me, e.g. my knees, and the pain is totally different. That pain is much more associated with movement and worse in the morning when the joints are stiff, this hip pain is always there but much worse at night and when resting. I just want to find out now, the waiting for results is always the worst part isn’t it! My family are playing down my fears and it’s nice to be able to come on here and speak to people who understand the worries that we have of reoccurence, even when you can rationalise that it’s more likely to be something else. I’ve largely kept these thoughts to myself over the weekend but am getting more scared the nearer it gets to tomorrow afternoon.

I did go on the bcpals site when first diagnosed last year but haven’t been on it for a while. I would love to be able to speak more, so will look for you on there when I’ve been to the doctor’s tomorrow. Thanks again for your support.

Thanks also Moderator for your email and advice.

Best wishes,
Nicky x

Hi Nicky You were one of the first to reply to my distraught posting when I was dx last August. I have had the same prognosis as you and the same treatment I think. Now that my haematoma has healed (yay!) its all supposed to be done and dusted and I was really glad that your first mammo recently was clear - if Im copying you then thats good news for me also!

I think that the worst thing by far about bc is the feeling ever after of “has it come back” every time there is something wrong with us. I bet that if you had had this hip pain a couple of years ago it would never have crossed your mind that it could be bone cancer? Now, understandably, its probably your conclusion that it definately is. Some of the things that go wrong with me are probably to do with my age - I am same age as you - and that is what I would have thought pre bc but now, my first thought is that its back…for example I have chronic asthma and have always coughed a little in the night and wasnt worried but now obviously its travelled to my lungs etc etc

The x ray can show up all sorts of things, including tendonitis or basic wear & tear but when you ring em they can’t tell you anything there and then. I am sure that you will be fine tomorrow but completely understand where you are coming from as I am exactly the same even tho I try to tell myself otherwise.

Please let us know how you get on - will be thinking of you
Love Laine

Hello Laine Thanks so much for replying, I’m touched that you remember me, I also remember the trouble you had with your haematoma! Glad you are now doing well, and good luck for your first mammo. You’ve really hit the nail on the head-there’s lots of things this pain could be but in the wee small hours I can’t rid myself of the fear it’s bone mets. I think the reason my family are being so upbeat about this is fear- they really don’t want to even think about dealing with worrying about me again! As I said, at least on this site you can admit to your worries and nobody thinks you are being a hypochondriac or a drama queen-we all understand how it feels. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be told it’s something straightforward and referred for some physio or something, whatever happens I’ll let you know.

Thanks again for your good wishes,

Love Nicky x

Hip pain Hi Nicky
I also had hip pain about 2 years ago and thought it was mets. I went to my GP who had an x-ray done of my hip/spine. Said everything was okay and sent me to a local physio - once a week for 3 months. Hardly helped at all. My symptoms were exactly as you noted - worse at night, and sitting in a chair with my feet up on a stool., as the pain would shoot right down my leg.
I then saw my bc surgeon as I got Mondor’s disease in the affected breast and mentioned my hip pain. He sent me off for a bone scan which showed arthritis in both hips,hands and feet. Nothing was done.
Think they put it down to “old age” - I am 62.

In Feb this year I had a DEXA bone density scan (different to the other scan) which was ordered by my gastro as I have Crohn’s and many years of steroids can cause bone density loss. This showed significant bone loss since the previous one in 2002. BC surgeon wrote to my GP requesting meds for the bone loss. Since Feb I have been on the bisphosphotase Alendronic Acid (once weekly) and Calcichew/Vitamin D to build up my bones. The pain has lessened enormously and I am not woken up at night anymore.

I don’t think taking Arimidex has helped the situation, as this drug does not protect the bones as does Tamoxifen. I do believe though, that it lessens the chance of bc recurrence, so I continue to take it.

I had a bad fall on Sunday, hurt my foot, thought it was a sprained ankle. Yesterday went to the local hospital and had my foot x-rayed. I have fractured a metartasal bone, and am on crutches - probably 3-4 weeks the nurse said. I am just glad it wasn’t a broken hip! Nurse called it is “footballers’ disease” as I believe Wayne Rooney and Beckham have both had this kind of fracture.

Hope your problem is “just” arthritis and not bone mets, although it seems these can be treated with various meds for many years.
Good luck,
Liz.

what a relief… Hello again,

The results of my spine and hip x-rays show “chronic wear and tear” to two of the lumbar discs. I never thought I would have been pleased to get this diagnosis-but it was so much better than the one I had been dreading! The GP was confident that there was no evidence of bone mets. I am being referred for physio, which I hope helps-it must have been disappointing for you Liz not to have noticed much improvement after three months of treatment.

I am sitting here in work this morning with a hangover due to a bit too much celebrating last night! Thanks to all of you who replied to me for your support and good wishes, and good luck and hopefully good health too,

Nicky x

Glad to hear the ‘good’ news nicky. Hope the physio can help.

lol Dawnhc

CONGRATULATIONS Dear Nicky

I have been following your posts and felt for you so much. As all the others have said, every little ache and pain throws us into a tail spins of “what ifs”. But you have done the right thing seen it through and got fantastic results. I bet you were happy to hear “chronic wear and tear” as other non BC patients would probably be horrified.

I am just so happy for you as I am a massive worrier and felt everything you were going through. I have a very minor pain on my side every now and then and have myself convinced it has gone to my liver… or whatever is that region. Where once I would have gone “oh, I really shouldn’t lay like that to eat chips and watch tv I’ve hurt a muscle”.

And as for the hangover you deserved every drink for the worry you have been through, you just don’t deserve the hangover!

All the best, Shell XXX

fantastic news! I am so pleased for you - bet the hangover was worth it!
Laine

thank you! Hello Laine, Dawn, Shell and Liz,

Many thanks again for all your good wishes, I hope you all have a fantastic weekend and wish you loads of happiness and good health.

It’s my birthday tomorrow, (I will be 52), we are off to see The Who live in Swansea next weekend (long time ambition!) and in September are doing our dream trip of a motorbike touring holiday to the southwest USA for three weeks taking in the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc. on a Harley! I’m determined to not put off doing anything I want to do and to live life to the full. I was made redundant in January and before my diagnosis would probably have done something a lot more sensible with the money but not now!

Love Nicky XX