1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hip replacement surgery whilst on chemotherapy

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Hip replacement surgery whilst on chemotherapy

Hi, nice to 'see' you Haxted. My hip replacement was at the time of my diagnosis but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your rads. I had some emergency rads over last Christmas and the rads plus a fairly low maintenance dose of Oxycontin have really improved things. Capecitabine worked well for me for over 4 and a half years so I hope you too have a long time with the peach pills. x

I am in the middle of rads to my left hip as the latest bone scan showed new hot spots on the pelvis and I am about to start cape next week. I also recently had 5 blasts to my righT hip which had a mix of mets and arthritis. I did find benefit from the blast to the right hip and hoping for the same from the treatment I am having now. Sorry I can't really help as I have not had a hip replacement, to be honest I would prefer to have that to my right hip as the problems with my arthritis are worse than the bone mets.
Sorry I can't help with your situation as I have not had surgery whilst on chemo. I had an auxillary clearance but was on letrozole and did not stop taking it.I hope someone who was in the same situation as you can help. i mainly replied to bump this up for you and I hope you get things sorted. Good luck.

L XX

Bumping into latest posts for Haxted

Hip replacement surgery whilst on chemotherapy

I'm about to undergo radiotherapy for the secondaries in my right hip (had a left hip replacemnt a couple of years back) to see if that helps with the increasing pain caused by a mixture of tumour and osteorthrits. The only other option (apart from further upping pain relief) is another hip replacement. The complication here is that I am on Capecitibine oral chemo indefineatley (8 months so far) and it would mean a break to allow surgery to occur. Has anyone out there had major surgery whilst either on or during a planned break from chemo?

My concern is that whilst Cape seems to be doing its job very well, I had just one week's extra break last month to be able to go on holiday and my tumour markers - previoulsy consistently going down - shot up by over 100 marks in a week......