Hodgkins Disease in 1981, 4th cancer just diagnosed

I have posted this for new user Sue
Jo, Facilitator

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease in 1981. Which was treated with Surgery and Radiotherapy, thankfully I made a full recovery.

In 2005, Ductal Carcinoma In Situ was diagnosed in my left breast, which through my choice, I had a double mastectomy.

In 2008, Maxillo Facial department diagnosed Mucoepideroid Carcinoma inside my mouth, this was treated with surgery. I am currently on 3 monthly checks.

This week, my GP diagnosed Basal Cell Carcinoma on the right hand side of my neck, which was removed under local anesthetic in his surgery

I am positive that all these subsequent carcinomas are due to the radiation I received in 1981.

Are there any other members who were treated with radiotherapy as a child/teenager who have gone on to have further cancers.

Hi Sue

I haven’t had Hodgkins but my son had a childhood cancer with radiotherapy and is now at risk for a new primary tumour, so I have done a fair bit of research of this type of problem. New primary tumours caused by radiotherapy in young people usually occur in the field of radiotherapy, so if you had radiotherapy in the head, neck, chest region, it could well be the cause of these new malignancies. Also, the fact that you had one type of cancer could mean that you are more prone to developing further types of cancer. Have you had any genetic testing to see if this is the case? Did you have any form of chemotherapy with the Hodgkins as some chemo can exacerbate the effects of radiotherapy?

I have just discovered this comment.
I also had cancer as a child, and radiotherapy to the chest, and just had breast cancer on side of radiotherapy.
I am in touch with a great many hodgkin’s survivors who are the greatest source of information and support, and could really help. 4 cancers is not at all unusual in them.
I hope we can get in touch because they will give you great guidance.
It is very important you are under the care of a cardiologist.
I am trying to raise much more awareness of this high risk following radiotherapy

Hi

I also had hodgkins and was treated by radiotherapy in 1987. In 2005 I was diagnosed with breast cancer grade 3 and last year had DSIC in the other breast. I asked for a bi lateral in 2005 but tols that there was no risk to me more than others. I found this was not true. Last year I had another mastectomy.

Hi,

I had Hodgkins Lymphoma and was also treated with Radiation in 1987. Subsequently I had Chemotherapy and Splenectomy in 1990. I Then had DCIS and LCIS (found AFTER surgery) discovered and bilateral mastectomies at the end of 2006.

I feel exhausted and have back pain. Does anyone else feel pretty knackered and a bit ropey?

It’s just interesting to see and hear about others who have previously had Hodgkins. I’d be interested to hear from any of you!

Many Thanks

Katherine