Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Plans for 2012

59 REPLIES 59
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Holiday Plans for 2012

just found this thread.
I finish chemo on the 15th may and i'm off to turkey on the 4th of june for a girlie holiday for my 50th. This was booked before BC was diagnosed and all along my medical team have worked around, so i can go. Georgie - im not starting my rads til i return.
gill x
AnnieK68

Sheil,

Jealous!! Sorrento has been on the list for ages but not got around to! We've two fortnights booked April & Oct so no holiday left for the summer 😞

Have a lovely time

Axx

sheil

Haven't been on the BC site for a while - does this mean I'm moving forward?? But just had to tell somebody I've just booked to go to Sorrento last week in May. What happened to my Cornwall plans? Decided I wanted somewhere where nice weather was more likely, and I got cheap flights with my Tesco airmiles.

So where you all planning....? Or are lots of you away for Easter already?

S
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I had my last chemo on 23rd Dec 2009 and flew for a week in Madeira on Jan 11th without any ill effects. In fact it gave me a real boost. I had 3 weeks of rads and flew to Cuba for 2 weeks 3 weeks after finishing rads. I did keep covered up, slathered on the factor 50 and sat in the shade again no problems at all. It did me the world of good and helped me face work again after a break of 9 months.

GeorgieB

I am starting chemo on the 20th March and due to finish JUly 3rd if all goes well! Then a months break and then I start Radio, has anyone had a holiday abroad between the two?
In the meantime we would love to rent a cottage in Devon or Cornwall during my good week.

Jules68

pink princess - am well jell

Are you staying riverside or French quarter??

Did you get the dining plan too??? if you did pre book restaurants prior to departure so you dont miss out on the good ones x x

with the kids buy the cup on resort and they get free refills and can help themselves they will feel really grown up x x

I have a friend in cornwall who has booked my family a week on the cornish coast in august..as treatment doesnt finish til end of June this is one I am looking forward to x x

DJ007 if you get chance to do the whale watch from the cliffs do it!!! highly recommended

ha ha can you tell I used to be a travel agent??? lol

sheil

Other than the horse it sounds like my kind of holiday. Can't forget my only lesson, made the mistake of going round the back end at the wrong time! Sounds fab.
S
X

DJ007

I'm off to South Africa at the end of April to stay with an old college friend and her husband.

They live in the Elgin Valley - about 40 min from Cape Town - in a lush wine and fruit growing area.

Plan to do some walking, sightseeing, a beach horse ride - oh and lots of talking and drinking wine!
Dx

sheil

Thanks Jan, still considering Cornwall, but also looking at discount cruises. Strange how cruises have become a value-for-money option, when they used to be only for really rich people. I'd still rather have a nice self-catering in France or Italy, but some of the last-minute cruise prices are a bit too good to turn down. I will keep my options open.

Any other nice plans being made??

S
X

kiwijan

Sheil - if you are thinking about basing yourself near Truro, can I recommend a lovely cottage we had last year in Malpas which is about 2 miles out of Truro and from the front of the cottage and deck you get views of the 3 rivers - Falmouth, Truro and Malpas (I think!). And the boat trip to Falmouth leaves from Malpas as well. Its a very quiet little village but a pub with good food 2 doors down! If you wanted a link to the owner's website let me known.

Jan
x

Lakeslover

I am off to the Lake District for 3 weeks next Saturday, after rads finish Tuesday. Also have 2 weeks in Crete booked for May.

supertrouper

Two weeks all inclusive to Corfu booked for May. Everything had to be cancelled last year.

Guest user
Not applicable

Short break in the Lake District now booked for 2 weeks after finish of rads - four poster bed, cooked breakfast, lots of spoiling me - I do have a lovely husband who booked it all up before telling me. Rads start on Monday - roll on April 2nd!

kaj
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

bumping up for any more holiday plans?

cant wait for my wk away after chemo and before i start rads, am thinking of sneaking in a week to Turkey after rads with hubby and leave the kids with gramps lol xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi shell,
its gawgus there like heaven very hot of course actually on the palms there are no pubs or clubs they are all hotels which is where you can go for drinks , meals and entertainment, there lovely shopping centres, and the famous ski dome they have is fab.

sheil

Thanks for the great info. The Eden project would be a must see I think, and anything with garden on it suits me.

Val - I think I'll just make do with cooking from Rick's books. The boat trip to the Scilly Isles sounds good - I'll take a look on Google earth at Truro. Do you regularly drive to Cornwall - its always the thought of such a long trek that has put me off in the past. It would be June probably we'd go - is it very busy then? I can't get OH to Lake District cos the few times he went it was mobbed.

AB - really hope you get to Malaysia, and Lizzy to ski-ing. Its horrible having BC interfere with all those lovely plans.

Back to work, have to earn to save for my wee trips!

S

scottishlass

Hi Sheil, We have been going to Cornwall for more years than I care to admit! We are from Scotland too. Padstow is lovely but very busy at peak times like August. I have been to Rick Steins Restaurant but it was booked 6 months in advance for a surprise for my other half for a wedding anniversary. We went there before Rick Stein was so well known as he is now. It was a lovely meal but quite expensive. It depends what month you are going as well.
Newquay was great when I was young but now there are lots of stag and hen nights planned and is awful at these times especially at weekends but pretty sea views in less busy times ( for me being an oldie that is!)
Truro is a great base as you can get to lots of places to visit from there. You can get a boat from Truro to Falmouth for a pleasant day out. Let me know if you want any more info about this and where to buy tickets etc.
We usually go to camp sites so not the same sort of holiday as yourself but we have had lots of fabulous holidays down in Devon and Cornwall. You can also get a day boat trip out to the Scilly Isles or go by plane if you are more adventurous ( and wealthy!)/ PM me if you want any more info. Love Val

DJ007

Hi Sheil

In the south of Cornwall both the Eden Project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan are worth a visit.

Dx

Lizzy1977

I'm hoping to go skiing before the end of the season...as long as I recover from the chemo in time!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello, I am waiting for results of lymph node clearance (next week). We booked a holiday in Malaysia and should be flying out on 6 feb, haven't cancelled it yet, but as i will need chemo, it's likely we'll have to. Just recovering from 2nd surgery, so need my little dream to hang on to!
Will check out insure pink, thanks for that for later on.

sheil

Thanks Jan - I thought that might be the case. So sorry about your NZ plans, but Dorset sounds good too.

The Palms - would love to hear what its like in real life!

S

Guest user
Not applicable

hi everybody, i am going to egypt in feb and also dubui in nove my sisterinlaw lives on the palms cant wait for that, hope all is well for everyone x

kiwijan

Great thread!

We were planning to go to NZ in March but with impending chemo have had to postpone. So have booked a cottage in Dorset for late June - literally right on the beach and the dogs are welcome too - can't wait.

Re Rick Steins - we were in Cornwall last summer and queued up for ages for fish n chips and in my opinion - totally overpriced and touristy but each to their own. Padstow is lovely but very busy!

Hope everyone has great holiday!

sheil

Thanks Sandytoes - with that name you are obviously a holiday fan! I had a look at Padstow on Google Earth - just because that one of the places I have heard off and it looks lovely. I'll take a closer look at Daymer Bay now that you have suggested it. And should we try Rick Stein's, or is it overhyped and overpriced as often happens when chefs get on the telly. What used to be Nick Nairn's was a big disappointment.

Carribean cruise - I'm jealous!
Ski-ing - not so much, too old for that kind of thing - but I do hope it is wonderful. Manny - you are obviously not from my neck of the woods if you've never seen deep snow.
Lakeside Lodge with hot tub - sounds fab!

Can't wait for my wee trip to Madrid on Friday though weather forecast is not looking too good.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

I am going to Switzerland to Ski for the first time in 2 weeks! We are taking the 2 toddlers as well. I am not bothered about the skiing bit really - but I have never seen proper deep snow before so very excited!

I finished treatment in August 11 and this is our first real holiday rather than mini UK break thing.

Now when I return with painful bumped post radiotherapy ribs and a very swollen lymphoedema arm then you can all say 'I told you so!!'

Guest user
Not applicable

What a great thread, thank you Pink Princess.

My friends are treating me to a long weekend away in Anglesey in April, really can't wait, walking and riding boots already packed. They've booked a lodge with a hot tub that is also lakeside, Won't be able to do all the sporty stuff I usually do, but will just be happy to watch this year!

Also hoping to get back to Richmond in Yorkshire Dales a few times this year, might even treat myself to some new walking boots for them hols!

Hope everyone enjoys their jollies, Simone xxx

amdamc

Brilliant thread!

Off on a Caribbean Cruise in 4 weeks time. Am 16 yrs since 1st diagnosis, now 5yrs since 2nd. Hubby and I are soooo excited and grabbing any crazy experience going (submarine trip, fast yacht race, etc etc).

Wishing you all a great holiday wherever it may be in 2012.

Cheers
Anne

Guest user
Not applicable

Sheil, head to my neck of the woods - Daymer Bay. Lots of little cottages etc for rent. Opposite Padstow (5 mins on a little boat that goes back and forth) with fab restaurants - even excluding Stein's! Dog-friendly beach, lots of lovely walks, stunning scenery etc! X

Guest user
Not applicable

Bumping if anyone wants to add? Xx

libsue

What a happy thread. Thanks for starting it pink princess.

I just love reading where everyone's going, and it's uplifting knowing folks have something arranged to look forward to.

Happy holidays to all.

Libby x

sheil

Some lovely trips being planned.

We are looking at the possibility of Cornwall in June. Never been before cos we're in Scotland and it seems easier to get to Europe than Cornwall, but as we have a reunion in Cardiff we thought as we're down that way this might be a good chance. Any good tips on where? We usually do self-catering but like to be in close distance of some nice restaurants, and as dog will probably be with us then some nice walking areas?

I have some strange memories of the Isle of Man, only went there as a teenager with friends many moons ago. Maybe should try it again.

SCACO - all those trips make me feel dizzy - well jealous really.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Haven't been to the isle of man yet but would like to, SCACO wow that is a lot of holidays, but bet it feels good knowing what you,ve got booked to look forward to.

When I was DX I had to cancel North Cyprus, then Maldives so I'm focusing on my week away in Dorset in April to see some old school friends.

Would like perhaps to fit in a weekend with OH in a log cabin somewhere or a theatre break, will have to see what my bank account lets me do

Love reading where everyone is going.....Just love holidays 🙂 xxx

DJ007

Whew! That's quite a bit of travelling SCACO!

During chemo I managed a weekend away at my sister's (combined with an appt with my PS) and a long weekend in Cumbria.

This year I'm going to make up for it.

Definitely booked is a big family hol to Skiathos. Mum & Dad in one villa, My sister, her partner, their grown up daughter and me in another and a cousin and her husband (my sis and I were bridesmaids at her wedding when I was 4!)and some friends in a third. My Mum had a rubbish 2011 too - recovering from a stroke and she was 80 in Sept, so it'll be a nice celebration. We've also hatched a plan that my sis and her partner will finally get married after 34 years together!

Will happen is a few days away with a friend - taking the horses and going riding in north Wales. I also want to get down to Devon and Cornwall and catch up with friends and family.

A definite maybe is a week in South Africa visiting an old college friend. Now the only problem is is finding enough holiday from work!

lisha

Hooray scaco, another one gor the isle of man!! No surprise as its so beautiful.
We made the most of last year too. Between op and chemo we managed 3 times away. Its a lovely thread xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

More than happy to talk holidays!

We're planning a weekend without the kids in Feb - I fancy trying to see the Northern lights, but New York and Rome are in the running.

With the kids we're going to Florida at Easter (seems to be the Survivors resort of choice!) and then Turkey at Whitsun. A touring trip of Switzerland and dropping into Italy without kids in August and then hopefully a week with them in the isle of Man. I love it there. My oh went to school and has family there. My little un cried all the way home last year.

I'm all for the 'where there's a will...' approach. During treatment we grabbed every opportunity, leaving one appt with my Consultant (3 weeks after last chemo) to get straight on a plane to Venice.

We've just come back from a break near Harrogate and I'm looking to book something at the end of January.

I'm alive and kicking!! And I'm filling me boots!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Has anyone else got any holiday plans they would like to share, either to mark the end of treatment to a mini break away during treatment?

Xx

lisha

Kaj and Libsue ,pleased others share my love of the Isle of man.I have never been to the tt but my OH went to it every year from being born till he was about 25 .I just love the Island,i love port erin and peel .We sat and ate cream scones at this cafe at port erin right by the beach on our anniversary.Cant wait to go back .I have it booked 2 weeks after my first year mamo so will be keeping everything crossed .
Im really excited about going to Blackpool too for the weekend in jan as it marks the end of my treatment then when we come back its my sons 18th .
Oh and Libsue i will say hello to the fairies for you and i will toot my horn at them .
Sharon xxx

sheil

Oh holidays - my favourite topic. Haven't been to Florida but have been to New England a couple of times which was fab.

Such a shame about the Maldives - would love to try there too, but mostly these days I go where I can get cheapest flights.

That was reason for chosing Madrid for a 4 night break in January - has anybody been there, I'm looking for any travel tips.

On insurance, we have one of those ongoing yearly subscriptions and my husband rang them up not long after my diagnosis and chap on phone said no problem and no extra. I am not quite convinced about this, would love to have something in writing, but am kind of sticking my head in the sand here (oh good pun). We usually go to Europe, France, Italy and Spain for bigger holidays so I also feel having the EHIC card gives some kind of safety net. Margaret - you're situation with the bank makes me feel a bit more convinced. Hope you are well.

Last year we got a really great last-minute deal on a P&O cruise in April, right between surgery and rads. I thought I wasn't really the cruise type but it was ideal for that situation, and £499 for a cabin with a balcony for 7 days around Portugal and Spain made it all the more enjoyable.

Sister and family went to the Ice Hotel last year - they had a fab time and the photos were fantastic. And after last night's hot flushes it does sound quite appealing.

Looking forward to hearing about all you holiday plans and reports.

S
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tracy,

Yes I found the dibb, good website. It's a job to know where to start isn't it. I went in march last year but only did universal sea world, aquatica and down town Disney. Staying at the port Orleans riverside.

Ant tips will be fab thank you, will pm you xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi PinkPrincess
Do you go on a site called thedibb.co.uk? They have loads of planning tips on there,my favourite being freeze bottles of water overnight and take to the parks the next day.They will be icy cold to drink as they melt and you can refill them saving you a bit of money.Also you must eat at Bubba Gumps at universal.If you have girls Bibbidi bobbidi boutique makeover in cinderellas castle is a must.
Have loads of tips as we love it over there.PM me if you want to chat Disney,I could talk all day:)
Tracy
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi sadiel

been to both but am planning a big hol for us all. only took my eldest last time but after today not sure i wanna take my little ones aaarrrgghhhh doing my head in xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Pink Princess.

I'm not sure where you are with your treatment, but we went to Disneyland Paris a few months ago. I'm sure USA is the same. I explained I had bc nd chemo etc nd get v v tired. They gave me a special ticket to get to the front of all ques (not FastPass que - actualy to the front). Felt odd using it at first but then really was appreciative of it as could do several things before a sit down. I took a hospital report with me as proof. This may help you!!

Sadie Xx Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Wish i was on holiday now, not feeling the love this morning, tired and grumpy with a grumpy 7 year old aarrgghh.

Love the thought of the ice hotel, need cooling down myself 😉

any tips for those who have done Walt Disney world would be good, im doing the first 2 weeks on my own with 3 kids 12, 8 and 7 god i must be mad!!!!

Happy New Year everyone xxxx feels like i was the only sober one last night, i look on my fb page and everyone is suffering with a hangover.....My turn next week hopefully if i have tastebuds lol

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi. Happy New Year!!

We are off to the Ice Hotel in Swedish Lapland in Feb!! Should sort the hot flushes out!! Sooooooooo excited. May even be on a chemo break then.

Hugs nd holiday smiles,

Sadie Xx Xx

Guest user
Not applicable

So I didn't lose money I changed it from June to November so only had to pay fees for changing booking - I hadn't booked accomodation at that point.My treatment finished in July.
Had a wonderful holiday in Florida in October with my husband and the weather was great.My hair was still very short but was quite thick and passed for a very short cut.
I have travel insurance with my bank account and when I phoned it wasn't a problem and since treatnent had finished didn't have to pay any more although other sites I had tried wanted over £200,00.
We're already looking at flights for 2012 and can't wait.
Have a great holiday
Margaret x x x

libsue

I met my husband on IOM in 1967, we were both working on the island. It's such a pretty island, I love the glens. Will you be there TT week?

Say hello to the fairies for me, Lisha

Do you know, you've started me reminiscing now .... I may suggest a long weekend there to my husband if we can find some cheap flights.

Guest user
Not applicable

It's lovely to see all the different places we are planning on travelling too, defiantly great to have something to look forward to and we all deserve it 🙂 xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lisha,
We love the Isle of Man too - in fact, Ian proposed to me on a steam train between Douglas and Castletown! There were loads of fuschias everywhere that time - always loved fuschias since then. Only drawback with Isle of Man is the crossing - had a dreadful crossing in 1998 - so bad we spent extra and flew back, cos we couldnt face the boat back!!!

Enjoy -love reading about all these plans. The woman in the next bed to me yesterday in the hospital is on dialysis 3 times a week - and has still managed to go to USA, South Africa, Greece and is planning a trip to Australia! Where there is a will theres a way.......
kaj
xxx

lisha

Gosh here goes ,sorry but my hold seem boring compared to all yours but 2 nights in blackpool booked in jan to celebrate end of all treatment.
Then 1 week in the Isle Of Man (absolutely love it there) in june.We managed to get there last june for our silver wedding in-between op and chemo starting.The sun shined for us all week think it knew what a crap time we were having ,the holiday was amazing had our anniversary meal on top of the mountain at a lovely restaurant .travelled up on electric tram in the sunset and managed to see eng ire scot and wales and mann .
then blackpool again to see the lights in sept and if we can sneak it in a few nights in the lakes.
Lots i know but thats what we work hard for all year .
Sharon xxx

tommyticklemou

hi mezzalou,

i have already saved a few threads on here with details on holiday insurance companies, including the insure pink one. i am expecting it to be more expensive, but hopefully ones to europe not too bad. i am prepared for increase in cost, bit of b****r though.

TTM xxx