Hi I went on a pre booked holiday to Turkey between chemo & rads. My rads were delayed by a month to enable me to go. My Onc was fine with it but I had been fairly well during chemo & hadn't had any infections. She did check I had insurance to cover if I did get an infection ( because it was pre booked my bank covered it). We stayed in a private villa with our own pool in a very small village so I ate fresh fish & fruit and veg every day And it did help my recovery.
it was a lovely break but given the choice I would have left it until after rads because I found it really hard to come back & start treatment again.
I went awway between the two. My Brother-in-law was getting married in Vegas, so the start of my rads was postponed by 2-3 weeks to allow me to go.
My breast did seem to swell a bit during the flights (a mild spot of lymphodema-type swelling), but apart from that I was fine.
I ended up insuring with Freedom Insurance Services, declaring that I was still waiting for Rads (and was on Tamoxifen). I hadn't heard about Eurotunnel at that point. I suspect others would have insured me if I had called them (and possibly cheaper), but these insured me (for a handsome sum of money), with no exclusions.
You will want to wait at least 3 weeks after your last chemo before going, to ensure your blood counts are back up, but as long as you do that, you should be fine. We flew about 5 weeks after my last chemo.
Littlescoot, I personally didn't go away between chemo and rads as I wanted to draw a line in the sand after my treatment had finished so went 3 weeks after the end of rads. I know plenty of people that do go away before they've finished active treatment but I supposed it depends how long you have between chemo and rads, I'm not sure i'd want to go long haul when I would still be very vulnerable to infection, you can fall ill so quickly. Also you're quite right, your insurance would be a problem if you're still undergoing treatment, no it wont matter if you're bags get nicked but what if you become ill, have no insurance and are outside of the EU? Is there any reason you can't wait 3 or 4 weeks longer until after rads?
We are thinking of going on a 10 night break probably to Thailand after chemo finishes and before rads starts. We were wondering if anyone else has gone on holiday between these 2 treatments and if so did your oncologist agree to it, and was it a good time to have a break? Was anyone affected flying wise by having residues of chemo drugs etc present ?
Additionally travel insurance- I've heard everyone rave about Eurotunnel ( and providing I get a fit to travel letter) but I'm sure I heard somewhere you had to have finished active treatments. Would anyone insure me? We have automatic cover through our bank and am wondering whether to just go with this because if our bags get knicked etc it is totally irrelevant if I have BC or not.