1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Holiday?

Good luck Lucy - you give me hope - I have tickets booked for the Isle of Wight festival in June, which at the moment is likely to fall between my 1st & 2nd FEC, my Onc has said if I'm feeling up too it and am careful I can go. I am staying in a very posh 'tent' (with beds & electricity) I'm buying myself posh loo access (the toilets are cleaned after every use) and I'm taking a load of antiseptic wipes / hand gel. If I even manage to stay for just one night it will be worth it for me (14 of my closest friends going, my favourite band ever playing). I just feel if I don't try I will regret it. Of course if the weather forecast is for 72 hour rain and howling winds I'll stay at home and watch from the comfort of my sofa!!
x

The worst thing about flights is the people who work on laptops or sit half asleep and don't cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. I reckon if you travel with your family all together you are more protected as the germs have longer to travel in the plane. Keep up with the sanitizing gel- I put a tiny size in my clear plastic bag for security and use most of it in flight, when I scrub down all surfaces I might be touching, and keep putting it on my hands and breathing through them when I think germs are around. Since I started doing this my rate of infection on flights (I fly around once a year) has gone down. PS I'm not intending to fly this year as the walk in centre is 15 miles from where we usually stay in the USA! And I'm the only driver usually!!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lucy

I agree with Gillian if you feel up for it and your Onc says yes, then why not. I went to Spain for 2 weeks in between my chemo without a hitch and if you are armed with letter for the nearest hospital just in case then why not. I am sure you will feel the benefit of the trip.

Disfruta mi amiga

I am going in July but have now finished chemo, can't wait viva la Espana

Enjoy Lucy!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good on you Lucy! I think it makes sense to try and keep to normal life as much as possible (within reason)...I've just spoken to my onc about the possibility of going to France for five nights or so and he said go for it. He wouldn't recommend a long flight but a short flight should be fine and he says the standard of healthcare is very high so if you did encounter problems you should be fine.
The cruddy weather in England is so depressing, hopefully the sunshine will be a real tonic for you 🙂
Have fun. x

Thanks for all your responses! I've decided to go. Oncologist was fine about me going, giving me antibiotics just incase. The owner of the villa is a retired doctor & hospital is the same distance away from my own hospital. Being the EU I have what used to be E1 11 card. I know some of you may think I'm mad but I've had attitude through all this that I'm living my life as normal & pretty much have (apart from the vomiting days!). I know the main risk is the flight but then I've sat in GP waiting room twice, regularly go to cinema, shops/supermarket, resturants, even been out clubbing and looked after my niece with an eye infection but I've been fine. I just think you never know what the next day brings so why shut yourself away. Don't get me wrong I feel like crap most of the time but I just ignore it. I've done loads of back pack travelling so my itchy feet won't let me sit still for 5 mins! and to celebrate end of chemo I'm off to Glastonbury. My nurse & oncologist thought this was great! I'm travelling with my boyfriend so he's doing driving etc. I suppose everyone's journey is diff through this horrible time but I'm going to choose to spent 5 days of it in sunny France. Thanks again everyone xx

My best friend visited between 5 & 6 Tax. By that time, I was completely exhausted and really just wanted to stay in bed or hang out on the sofa. Even thinking about driving to airport made me tired, and I struggled (really) walking even down my street to the post box. "Everybody's different" but for me it would have been a lot more trouble than it was worth--even for the South of France. Not so much the risk, although Lola's right--I always get colds from the plane trip, but just the big c.b.a. factor. So it depends how the chemo is taking you, and how much you are yearning for the S. of F.

I think the airplane journey is the danger zone. There are so many germs, people with colds and other illnesses, children with dirty hands. Oh and those awful toilets!!! I would not risk it at all. Sorry, but there will be other opportunities.

Hi Lucy
i went to visit my mum in Spain during my 3rd & 4th chemo session. I was having 6 x FEC I was lucky I didn't have any bad side effects. My onc was happy for me to go and gave me a written letter explaining my treatment plan just incase I needed any treatment. I also found where the nearest cancer centre was just in case.
Gillian x

Hi Lucy
I was diagnosed 7th March and am due to start chemo next Thursday following a lumpectomy. I had a meditteranean cruise booked for June and was advised by my Onc that I may still be able to go. However, after seeking further advice I have cancelled it today. For me and my family it was the best thing to do and I feel relieved now its done. My philosophy is that after all my treatment, I can book another one
Hope this helps
Mac123 x

Problem is you can fall ill so quickly, I was rushed into hospital twice during my chemo. Wouldn't have dared to go abroad

I'm afraid i agree with other ladies, the risk of infection, access to health care and insurance are just too big, your insurance whilst undergoing treatment will be very expensive and there's no way you can go without it. There will be other opportunities when you've finished treatment x

Hi Lucy

My oncologist told me he wouldn't advise leaving the uk whilst on treatment in case of illness as treatment would not be on a par to what we have here and could lead to problems

To be honest Lucy I wouldn't do it. I have delayed replying as don't want ti be negative but wanted to bump up your post. Maybe you're coping well with the chemo but I would have felt too ill at this point, would worry at the infections that could be picked up in the aeroplane and would panic about having to access health care abroad. You might also have problems getting insurance.
You might be a braver person than me though!

Holiday?

I've been offered a cheap villa in the south of France, flying to get there in may. This will be in between my 5th & 6th chemo session. I'm wondering whether I should do this? Has anyone taken a flight abroad in between sessions?x