Home after DIEP

Well only five days in hospital in the end. Glad to be home, you just cant beat your own bed can you. All went well and the results are fanastic. Only one huge drawback is that I have sores on my bum and shoulders so cant lie on back. Getting the air in and nappy cream! Surgeon was disappointed for me as it obviously reflected in my feeling for a while. They have said the table was at fault and now have changed it! Still things can only get better now.
How you doing in Scotland?

Hello there

I was looking for someone who had just had DIEP!! I am looking forward to mine on 22 November in Norwich.
It is good to know that you are up and about after only 5 days.
How is the tummy??

Lisa

Hello mummyv and Lisa,

It was good to hear of such a good recovery and home so soon! Did you even get without your drains? You must be pleased to have this behind you now.

Lisa, my op is due on 30th Oct so I also am looking forward to that although very apprehensive!! I would love to know more about recovery times. Like walking, driving and returning to work afterwards.

Winnie

Hi Winnie, I had tram on 15 September and I started driving at 2 1/2 weeks as I found it easier to drive to shops than walk. I was walking straight at 3 weeks but not far as for some reason I get back ache.

My top tip to you all about to have this op - get a litter picker! As you cannot bend down for several weeks I find it invaluable for picking up things I have dropped on the floor!

Im hoping to return to work at six weeks but I have a very light job interviewing people and writing reports.

Safe recovery to you all, Maggie

Hiya all. My tummy is still feeling a little tight. 10 days on now, boob has no feeling whatsoever. I’m rubbing e45 all over to moisturise my scars. Had check up with PS today and he’s really pleased. My mobility is excellent and I’m not at all disappointed. I get tired easily but they so would anyone after 11 hours of surgery. I came home with one drain, that was removed on Tuesday.
I cant say I would want to go through this all again but then this time last year I was recovering from my mastectomy and preparing for chemo. All seems a hundred years ago now! I have cleveage and can swing my arm around and feel so good. It’s been worth it.

HI
i also had check up today - also had 11 hours of surgery and my ps is pleased with the outcome. I was in hospital for 5 days and was so glad to get out… but my new boob is a fair bit bigger than the remianing original one … he says I can have some lypo to reduce it , but Im just glad to have the op out of the way etc
I cant feel parts of my tummy and my new boob is pretty numb. I walked a short distance yesterday to the shop and back and had terrible lower back pain - probably because I cant straighten up totally yet as stomch is SO tight.
The one thing NO-ONE mentioned was the horrendous pain in my arms when I came round from surgery ( I didnt have any lymph nodes taken - this is due to the arms being in teh same position for 11 hours ) its was excrutiating and still, 3 weeks on, they are still a bit bruised feeling.

Hi Jenny, Yes I too had painful arms, still feels like I’ve done hundreds of bicep curls! I still have pressure sores and a very numb bum! That is giving me more gip than my tum. I’m massaging it (my bum) alot trying to promote blood flow!