Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home after diep .amazing result

26 REPLIES 26
Nutty75

Re: Home after diep .amazing result

chillipink

Thank you Aseria.I'm at the moment waiting for remaining breast to be uplifted and nipple transfer on the list.my fantastic female surgeon is going to do another fab job with me.just coe back from holiday and wore a bikini for e first time in 20 years .as I now have a flat stomach ,no stretch marks and no baggy baby belly.yippee.keep in touch and let me know about your diep.any thing you want to know just ask.
Aseria

Thank-you, I have read less positive reviews, and know we're all different, but your outlook and enthusiasm is really helpful - hopefully due surgery in few months time
Vegaschick

Re: Home after diep Amazing result

Hi Chillipink,

I'm a patient at Wythenshawe too. Had a mastectomy performed by ******* in November last year. Very happy with him and his work. Just had my check-up and told him I wanted to start the ball rolling asap for DIEP reconstruction and reduction of other one to match. Bit diaspointed... last time I saw him he thought I should be able to have it done in September. But, apparently, waiting time is 4-6 months now and may not get my initial appt until June! Hopefully his secretary will squeeze me in sooner!

Who was the female plastic surgeon who did your reconstruction? I feel 100% confident with ******** and now the thought of another new surgeon (apparently he doesn't do the abdominal transfer) makes me very nervous!

How are you doing since the op?

I too want to put 2013 behind me!

Sarah

chillipink

Hi Angiepops and hijaqs just wondering if any of you ladies have got your date for op yet.hi Angiepops how did you go on at hospital about diep .
angiepops

hi all

me too, not sure if i can get it done at my hospital but i'm going to try for it, thanks.

angie xx

hijaqs

Hi all.  I'm so glad I've come across these posts.  I'm waiting for an admission date to to have a DIEP reconstruction and am just starting to get a bit wobbly.  Reading all of these posts has given me so much reassurance.  Thank you!

jillybee

CHILLIEPINK.....Wont be till the summer, need to complete the London 10k end of May first, and get my fitness levels up, Have had a rough time of it, expanders, infections etc, oh, and sloughy wounds. Yuk, just as well I was a nurse in someway, as could do my own dressings!! You are an inspiration and may come back to you a few times before long, seeing my lovely surgeon on Wednesday,  will say I have virtually decided on that route, After what I have had,  also 2 hip replacements, now that is major surgery, can face up to anything!!! Just hate being flat!!xx

chillipink

Hi jillybe .yes diep has been the best decision I've ever made .your new breast will look real,feel real ,grow when you put on weight ,shrink when you lose weight all the reasons why I chose it .I've.just gone back to work although it's only 2hours a day and I'm on rehab but it's back to normality before bc so that's great for me.I want to forget 2013. I'm still in awe of what my fantastic female plastic surgeon has done at wythenshawe .I'm having nipple graft and uplift of remaining boob in 3months although it doesn't need much tweaking.god you've been through it havnt you .implants were never aoption for me as I wanted natural ,so be positive stick with your decision and don't take ant notice what people tell you.it's your body ad at you it's for life.I cant stop looking at my completely flat tummy .roll on summer when I'm in a bikini on that beach.good luck when is your surgery
jillybee

to CHILLIEPINK....Wow, this is just what I want to hear. Have had, for last 5 months,7 lots of surgery, including mastectomy one one side, and having the silicone implant remove only yesterday,after having problems with the strattice. Other side had an implant to replace an old one, that caused problems, then had expanders, eventually had that removed.... Am now having a complete break, to get my fitness levels back up, then seriously considering the DIEP. Just hate being flat, especially at the moment as not being able  a bra for a few days. If I had this done I would go to Chelmsford.Please carry on posting your results, feel so uplifted reading your post 

I am fortunate in making a friend who had just had a DIEP, and has been very helpfu.l Thing is with breast cancer, you do make friends!!!

Duffer56

Hi Happydaze68,
I didn't have too many problems with the surgery which were related to my size but I think that it has probably taken longer for the tummy site to heal than thinner ladies because of the amount of tissue they used. It's not been painful just uncomfortable but for longer than I had anticipated.
If you send me a pm I will happily send over the blog I did whilst in hospital.
happydaze68

Hi there im new to this and feel so overwelmed with the whole bc .I had a full mas, on my right chem rads and herceptain.that journey started in may 2011 and finished aug 2012.well I,like you are big busted and overweight too.i  have an appointment tomorrow with my ps. I feel he will try to turn me down again.all this rejection is getting me down. I have been cutting down but have just come to a standstill... I desperately want the diep one.i will be really intrested on how u got onwith surgery before and recovery after..bytw  im 45 about size 16/18 40 dd.xxx

Duffer56

Hi Sassy, I had. DIEP 7 months ago. I am a size 18 and a 42D bust so they took rather a lot of tissue to construct the new boob. My scar is massive (17") and it has taken a long time to recover ( lot of leakage after a couple of weeks) but it is now becoming much less uncomfortable. The reconstructed boob felt like a Belgian Bun for best part of six months but the tissue is now loosing up really well and I am very, very please with the results of both operation sites.
If you would like to pm me for any more info please feel free. I did a sort of daily blog on this site in the first few weeks which I still have to hand if you want to take a look.
If I had to choose again, even with all the problems , I would make the same choice again.
chillipink

Hi Georgia .just wondering how you are and if your stomach is still swollen .and how you are recovering .Amanda x
GeorgieB

Hi I had diep 18 days ago. My tummy isn't flat and sometimes feels full of fluid and sometimes fees really hard. I'm not in pain other then sharp pains sometimes in my stomach?

chillipink

Got results after diep.my cancer is in the bucket as my surgeon said.yippee no chemo needed.no rads needed, tamoxifen for 5years, 5 weeks after diep my scar is healing well ,my boob has settled and my stomach is flat,so all is well .stage two op for tattooing and nipple graft in the near future.2013 I want to forget as many ladies will want too.if any ladies are thinking of diep the result is nothing short of amazing.highly recommended it even feels exactly like the other boob. Amanda x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Katebil, four months ago i had DIEP recon with reduction and uplift at same time, i was a 38F on day of surgery, my fab surgeon made me a 38DD and they are lovely four months down the line, perfectly matched. Apparently its unusual to do a reduction at same time as a recon but my "Lady" surgeon was more than happy and confident to do it all at once. Best decision i every made , hope this helps with your decision and i also have a flat tummy to go with the pert boobs lol x
chillipink

Hi deb yes exactly.if you can face diep being major surgery you can face anything.diep was always my first choice as no way was I having implants.I'm like you I can't stop looking at my flat ,tight as a drum stomach.I had a post c-section baggy baby belly with loads of stretch marks and now they are allbin the bin.yippee.I'm day 11 after surgery and had no painkillers since day8.I'm so pleased with result,glad you are too its one of the best decisions I've ever made .it's given me confidence in my body as well as no more tankini ,I'll be in bikini next holiday.yes like you I have no pain just a little tightness sitting up and down.good luck with your recovery Amanda x
Buzzy

Hi, I had my DIEP surgery 3 weeks ago. It wasn't my first choice of surgery but after my body rejected the tissue expander i couldn't have the LD flap and implant reconstruction so DIEP was my only choice. I was absolutely terrified before the surgery but I have been pleasantly surprised by how pain free it has been. Obviously stiffness is an issue and I did have some lower back pain for about 2 weeks if I stood up for too long but on the whole I am so pleased I did it now I can't stop looking at it! I will need an uplift on the other side later but that's no problem and as for the scars, well i'm proud of them because they show that I am stronger than whatever tried to hurt me.

Debs x

chillipink

Hi Joan yes good to hear from you.I bought sports bra with support from asda .they actually do a post op bra now but I preferred the sports bra.not that expensive .I also have my Bridget jones big knickers on both bra and knickers 24/7.the knickers really help although not very sexy but never mind will soon be in nice knickers again .Amanda x
Patchit

Hi Chillipink, I'm so pleased for you tyhat everything has gone well with yoru DIEP.  I am having the same op next Spring and am goign throughthe usual worries and considerations etc, as you did too.  However, I have made the decision to go for it (the delay is my own choice for family reasons).  I have been following your story for some time now and just wanted to say well done and thank you for being so positive!  Can I ask, how have you got on with the knickers / bra?  Ive seen lots of posts about control knicers and front fastening bra's and have started making notes about the items I will need before surgery.  I would be interested to hear how you have got on with that issue.  Good luck to you, I do hope that your recovery continues to move forward and that you continue to be thrilled withthe results.

Joan xxxx

skigirl

Hi Sassy1, I just thought I would help to add to your decision.  I was naturally a C cup and I was advised that if I went for the LD flap then I may need implants as they don't know how big they can make the reconstruction until they get in there.  I opted for the DIEP myself as I didn't want implants and I had a 'plentiful' supply from my tummy (seriously, the PS wrote that on my notes lol!!) As you are naturally large breasted, they may struggle with the back tissue to get an even match 🙂

xx

chillipink

Hi sassy1 the scar is very low down so you have nothing to worry there.scars and recovery didn't concern me .what I wanted was a breast as near match to the other one ,what would fall with the other one and would feel like the other one .you won't regret this decision .I have 34dbreast so not that big,if you choose this I think you if you are big breasted you can choose the size you want wether you want a near match or a new size and then your boob reducing to match new one .
chillipink

Hi katebil.answer to your question.the surgeon has done as near a match as possible to the other breast.if the other one does need a little bit of tweaking then that will be done in a few months.when I look at my new boob it looks more or less perfect to other.albeit nipple tattooing.I'm on day 8and havnt even had any painkillers .the trick is to keep getting up out of the chair every say hour and straightening up.if you choose this you won't be disappointed.like I said it's just a few more weeks to recoveries it hurt like he'll for a few days but it's worth it
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

I am so pleased you are so happy after your DIEP recon. I am about to visit plastic surgeon regards my own recon. I was leaning towards the ldflap. But now having read this am seriously thinking about the DIEP. The recovery time was an issue and was also worried about the scarring after discussing with bc nurse. I am naturally very large breasted so will have to have a reduction on the other side. Dreading it all but looking forward to putting on normal bras etc again. Has any one had this with a reduction on remaining breast ? Would welcome any advice. Wishing you a continued speedy recovery chiilipink.

xx

Katebil

Great news Chiilipink, I am considering the diep recon but haven't made my mind up yet, reading your comments makes me think its definitely the way to go! Did you have your other breast matched to size and uplifted at all......or are you not old enough to need the uplift yet??

Kate
chillipink

Home after diep .amazing result

Hi ladies .well what can I say .I can't believe I had diep 7days ago and I'm walking as normal.I have no pain at all other than a little tightness when gettin in and out of bed and up from a chair.the results are nothing short of amazing .my female surgeon at wythenshawe has done a fantastic job.my scar is perfect and low and will be able to still wear bikini knickers.I havnt seen boob yet till dressings come off my stomach is completely flat .I was told to keep getting up and straightening up as much as possible so even though getting up out of the bed was painful once I was up I just kept going for little walks.would I recommend diep ...? Yes yes and yes .forget how long the op is after all we are asleep and don't. Know anything ,forget it's longer recovery its a few more weeks but it's for life ,my main concern was I wanted a natural breast to match the other one ,what will grow with the other one and will age with the other one.this I have and my post baby baggy belly is now in the bin .yippee if anybody is thinking of diep I hope this post helps.the results are truly amazing.a couple of days discomfort were truly worth it .