Home from Hospital following Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed with BC on 6 October at the Norfolk & Norwich Hospital. The last 3 days I’ve had a Bone Scan, and pre-op assessment and I’m just back from hospital following Sentinal Lymph Node Biopsy, and removal of one other Node. Next week, after a much needed break at Centreparc :o) I’m having a Torso Scan. Then I presume I will be returning to see my Consultant for a Treatment Plan. At the time of the devastating news, he said that I will be having Chemo first to reduce the size of my tumour (quite a large one) then Mastectomy, then radiotherapy, then reconstruction. A huge journey to face and lots of worries along the way, I worry if I’m not worrying lol - which is why I had to stay in hospital overnight - my blood pressure was very high and they said it was due to ‘white coat syndrome’ lol on top of all that they think I’m diabetic so gotta be tested for that as well! I’ve got 6 health appointments on 24 October! What I would like to ask all you lovely ladies is what happens if cancer cells are found in my Nodes?

Up at 5am this morning - worrying already :o(

Daysie x

Hi Daysie

i am no expert of course, but they found cancer in my SLN and the treatment is the same as what you have described - chemo followed by Mx, then radio, then 5 years tamoxifen as mine is ER+ve. I am having TAC chemo, while most ladies on here seem to have FEC - just had my first cycle on Wednesday.

Honestly, the worrying before treatment is worse than when you start - worrying about how big it’s getting, are the cells spreading, what will the chemo be like etc etc. it’s normal! I worried like mad too.

In the meantime please try and enjoy your week before your appointment - have a great time at Centreparcs. We had a weekend booked at Woolacombe with the kids but I won’t be able to go as it’s too far from hospital, with the worry about low white cell counts, so my husband is taking the children by himself!!!

Anyway, pm me if I can be of any more help and support.

Hugs
Teresa x

Affected lymph nodes as far as I know are always removed. Supraclavicular nodes can stay in place, but are given chemo and rads. A lost of the ladies with node involvement have fec-t chemo, the tax is recommended for the nodes, and fec for the boob.
Don’t quote me on this, more than likely got it all back to front!

Oh yes I forgot, they’ll do full axiliary clearance same time as Mx

hi Daysie, i had SNB and 1 node was infected… as others said i had 3 fec and 3 tax. i had MX, chemo, rads, overies removed, recon (still ongoing)and 5 years tamoxifen for the hormone + BC… although i had just 1 node involved, with all the planned surgery they suggested rads on rest of my nodes which i went for.

It is all so very scary but 2 and half years down the line, my best bit of advice i would give you is tackle each stage as it comes and try not to research and worry about things that you may not need doing. When i was first diagnosed i felt like my old life had been robbed from me… Since my diagnosis ive jumped out of a plane, been to Thailand (without my hubby lol) been on BC girlie weekends… life does get back to a new kind of normal…eventually hun

I wont tell you not to worry, make lots of new friends on here who are going through the same stages as you. I couldnt of done it without the friends i made on here. Many are now lifelong friends who i meet and share trips/outings with… we still turn to each other if we have a little worry.

Try and enjoy your holiday and then when you get your treatment you will be ready to face anything they throw at you…good luck chick x