Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeopathy - what can we use ??

9 REPLIES 9
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Homeopathy - what can we use ??

Sorry your suffering Fiona. If it's any consolation I hit my low point around the 4th dose too. 5 wasn't so bad and 6 was similar but more drawn out, ie took longer to go but wasn't so bad in intensity.

I'll search out the book, Thanks for that Fiona. There's a lot more info I'm reading and evaluating than I'm ever mentioning here simply because we all have to live our live and make our choices and it's not necessarily up to our oncs or anyone else to push us down one route or another. I'm evaluating all choices by the same criteria, which is old fashioned risk vs reward. Or course the risk elements of chemotherapy and radiotherapy are much more than taking a few nux vom for nausea!

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for posting the info I shall have a good read.

Flo62

Cat,thank you very much for the info. Not been too good after 4th Epi so been recluse and grumpy etc. Couldn't read/type or anything due to massive headache, nausea, ulceration. But feel a bit more human the last fewdays since new nausea tabs given.

Will check out websites soon. Thanks again. Fiona.

Guest user
Not applicable

Elizabeth Butler MSc BSc (Hons) Dip ION is the senior nutritional therapist at the Penny Brohn Cancer Care centre. I've attended a talk she gave and she makes good sense about nutrition. Her website is www elizabethbutler dot co dot uk if the moderator doesn't allow the regular URL.

Flo62

hi vertangie, tks for info about nux v. had last epi today hurray before xeloda in 2 wks, so will pop nux before bedtime as have had horrible insomnia for days immediately after chemo.

found mag - had it all along in the ever growing heap by my bed. Had massive clearout / sort out last week when felt okay. So The doc's name is Dr David Servan-Schreiber and he wrote book called Anti Cancer- not read it but might try local library first. The woman who launched a website had BC and the website is www.cancerbuddiesnetwork.org. Haven't checked it out yet as only just found book.

Guest user
Not applicable

Do post it if you find the mag Fiona.

My Mum mentioned that there was someone at the Bristol Cancer Care centre. I've been really quite lucky as she's been getting advice for me from her mentor too who's helped around 40 people through chemo etc so that's great. I've got my Rad 30c for radiotherapy tomorrow too which should help with the side effects, it's very wisely used (by homeopaths not oncs of course).

You know I haven't actually looked at the London Homeopathy hospitals website which is daft of me because it's there that they use the post surgery mix that I was given for after my bilateral mastectomy. I was popping them like no tomorrow and off the paracetemol within 4 days and the nurses, surgeons and now the radiotherapy people are surprised at how fast I've healed. Can't prove it's the homeopathy but hey if they're just sugar pill placebo's it doesn't matter as they're really cheap and I'm healed, all that matters to me and my mum 🙂

PS. I found taking the nux just before bed really helped me get a good nights sleep too, I think it may have helped combat the steroids a bit too.

Flo62

Thanks Vertangie - I thought you might post as it was you I was thinking about as I had read your comments in some other threads and thought you were genned up on Homeopathy. I used Nux Vomica a few days ago after trawling internet and homeopathy & Chemo. Was a bit worried as wasn't sure I was using something that was 'not allowed'. I swear by it normally but just not got round to sorting things out. (My family have got used to me saying - here you go got remedy for that!.

Have actually been on website for London Homeopathy hospitals and Homepathy main website and there is a homeopath that works in London and Liverpool plus at the Bristol Cancer Care centre (Penny Brohn) and has quite a lot to say about chemotherapy so I may even hit the savings and go and see if I can get a consultation with her...? (Just didn't write her name down as it was 3 - 4am - one of those day when the insomnia had hit hard) But thats another story.

BTW I read the article you posted about stem cells from the Economist - interesting huh - a bit hard going in places but got the gist.

Re your last comment about nutrition , I purchased a mag called Healthy and Organic Living and it had a great article in it about Cancer and nutrition by a doc who had had cancer and his views on how little was taught at medical school level. He now advocates hugely how to eat when you have cancer and also preventatively as well. He's come through it and there are lots of other interesting comments by people with all sorts of cancer including BC. There was a really good website that someone had set up because of her BC ... Only problem is that the mag has gone missing in my ever increasingly messy house as too tired to clean up continuously after family.. Also fuddled brain can't remember where I put it down. Just know it's the Oct issue. If I find it I'll post the website.

Any way thanks to Cat and Vertangie for posting and Ann for the info.

Fiona.

Guest user
Not applicable

In order to keep the oncologist happy I've avoided using homeopathy as much as possible during my chemo. But it has to be said that this is because they don't know anything about it rather than because of known interactions. They really don't understand how it works sadly.

I have used Nux Vom occasionally instead of anti emetics.

Just after my last round of chemo I felt terrible, like I'd been knocked down with the flu, as it had been over 3 weeks since my last chemo I asked the nurses if I could resume my normal health care and diet and they said yes so I took gelsemium 30c (for flu like symptoms) and started on a high quality vitamin supplement as it was obvious I was now nutritionally depleted (mouth ulcers being indicative of lack of certain B vits etc). Within 2 weeks of careful diet, and homeopathic remedies and tissue salts I'm recovering really fast now. Just in time for radiotherapy later in the week 😉

In some other european countries oncology departments are much more informed about nutrition, homeopathy and other natural remedies, hopefully in future the UK will improve these areas of knowledge within oncological training.

Ann_BCC_

HI Flo

I thought you might find this information from our site useful.

http://beta.breastcancercare.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.478

Thanks

Ann

Guest user
Not applicable

I've used a homeapathic doctor many times in the past but have been strongly advised not to do this while I'm having chemotherapy. Homeopaths rarely disclose what goes into the remedies they use and my oncologist and the oncology nurse were both concerned that they would work against the chemo and cause adverse reactions. Having spoken with my homeopathic doctor, she agrees that it's a good idea not to mix the two.

Things that are holistic which will help include aromatherapy massage, although it needs to be a qualified practitioner who has experience of ladies who have undergone breast surgery and other treatments, and reflexology is excellent. There's also a form of acupuncture that doesn't use needles that you could use, but I've got my chemo brain on this morning and can't for the life of me remember it's name at the moment.

Cat

Flo62

Homeopathy - what can we use ??

I know there are a few ladies out there who are genned up on the homeopathy route and used it successfully so was wondering what I can use for the side effects for chemo (Epi then Xeloda).

I'm not with a homeopath at the mo as my last homeopath moved south and i just haven't got round to finding a new one. It's all rather personal finding someone you get on with etc... huh?

Anyway, I tackled the homepathy question with the oncologist's registrar - as onc away and she looked at me as if I had 2 heads and had no idea what I was talking about and all I get is ooh no can't use that and can't use that when I tackle it with the Chemo team at the hospital.

Any ideas help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to compromise the chemo but would like to be able to self help too.