Hopstial Appointment

I have received the telephone call today for my hospital appt to see a consultant (having been referred from my GP on Tuesday).  My appt at the hospital is Fri 20th at 9am and the lady I spoke to has said to allow a few hours as having seen the consultant will then depend on what further tests, mammogram, biopsy or similar he may want you to have.  Can I ask please if it is necessary that someone goes with you?  Is it likely that you get any results on the day?  I am ok to go on my own if it just for tests but would prefer support if it is likely that results could be given?  Thank you everyone xx

Hello JuBo

Welcome to the forums, you’ve come to the right place for support as the users of this site have a wealth of experience and knowledge between them.

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence you may like to phone our helpline  where you can talk to a member of staff who are there to support you. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Jubo,
I would take someone with you if that’s possible. It’s hard to take everything in otherwise and if they say allow a few hours they might want to give you information at that stage. Good luck - and fingers crossed not as bad as you fear. xxx

I went alone, they csnt come into the scans with you anyway so didn’t want anyone just sat waiting . We are all different though , you may want the support.

Hi JuBo,
While test day is obviously focused on the tests, and results of any biopsy usually seem to take most hospitals about a week to get through, they may give you an indication that something may be up if they spot anything suspicious. After having the scans and biopsy I went back into the consultants room and was told they were sat on the fence re my lump but I might want to bring someone with me the following week when the biopsy results were due. Slight reel, I must confess but perhaps on that occasion I found it easiest to be on my own since it gave me an opportunity to take it in, rather than having to deal with someone else’s potential panic or overcompensation the other way. We are all different so it’s what you feel most comfortable with that counts.
As I’m sure you are aware most lumps are harmless and not bc, and hopefully that will be the position for you.
Seabreeze (now a few months post treatment)

I am going alone to mine tomorrow. I simply didn’t have time to arrange anything because I only got the letter yesterday evening. mine is only a follow on from a 1st routine mammogram. i rang and spoke to the nurse today to try and get a clue as to whether they had found anything or whether it was just a check. She was fairly reassuring but i do tend to treat such reassurance with caution. My letter says that i will probably get the results on the day.

Thank you all for your replies.  I have decided to go alone only my husband knows and I would prefer to deal with this on my own for now I tend to be better on my own than thinking about the person with me worrying!  To the lady who is having her tests/results today I hope all has gone positively and to you all I am sending love and hugs thank you for taking the time to respond it means a lot xxx

How are you feeling? Not long till Friday

Hi jubo
Good luck for Friday. I did not take anyone with me… I was glad because the test take ages but in the end i wished I had someone with me for the part where you see the consultant after… You might find it useful if someone could meet you after the tests to come to see the consultant with you? It’s just about what’s right for you… I wished I’d gotten someone to come with me. Xxx

Thanks ladies for thinking of me! Hannah some people have said they see the consultant afterwards and some not they just have their tests and go then have to wait for results. My husband works a fair distance away from home too so I’m just going to go on my own with the option that if they are referring me for tests and I feel anxious I can ring him and he will finish work so I won’t be on my own for long. Whatever the outcome, initially I do tend to take more in if I’m on my own. At least my appt is 9am on Friday xx

That sounds like a good plan :slight_smile: its about what’s right for you. Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

Hi jubo sending my love thinking of u hope u got on OK on Friday xxx