Hormone suppressants after chemo finised

Hi All,

Forgive me if this has come up before.

I have had FEC x3 and am having 2nd of 3 TAX this week. Diagnosed with stage IV from the get go in June this year after routine breast scan with mets to liver, lung and spine. On bisphosphonates every 4 weeks. Im strongly ER/PR +ve HER2 -ve. I’m 49 and have been having hot flushes etc since 45. Have had a period in the last year I think but cant remember when

My understanding is that I will go onto either Tamoxifen or an AI after I have my menopausal status checked out following chemo.

Question.
How long after chemo finishes is it usual to start on hormone suppressants? I ask as I’m not confident in my onc (am in the process of switching) and when I asked him if I would go onto hormone suppressants he said “You can have them if you like” (!)

Thanks

Laurie x

Hi Laurie

I had 6 x FEC when I was dx’ed with bc and bone mets from the get go, Tamoxifen having already failed to halt progression. When I came off the FEC I was started on Arimidex within about three weeks It kept everything stable, more than stable really, very low tumour markers, for nearly 2 and a half years when my TMs rose, felt really well on it apart from a few achey joints. Was then put on Aromasin for six week but TMs quadrupled in that time hence I’m now on Taxotere. Have been told that they may still try me with another hormonal after chemo though - I’m guessing Letrozole or Faslodex?

Tell your onc that loads of people get a brilliant response from AIs and it shouldn’t just be ‘if you want them,’ it should be the next natural step!! Sounds as if it’s a good thing you’re switching oncs!

Lesley xx

hi Laurie
I was dx with bone mets from day 1.er+ her-ve.I was put onto arimadex(I am post menopause) which did not work so had 3 Fec,followed by 6 docetaxol and then followed by rads.I started letrozole as soon as I finished rads.Have been on oral bisrophates from beginning but now changing to iv, due to increase in pain.Am now waiting for ct results as it is thought maybe letrozole not working,will be replaced with oral chemo most likely.There was never a question of whether I wanted hormone therapy.As I understood it it is a vital part of the treatment to hopefully keep everything stable,and if possible to improve things in many cases.
I am glad you are switching oncs.I have just been for a second opinion because I did not feel confident with my present team.
Hope you get your treatment plan sorted.

L xx

Hi Laurie, I finished chemo end of June and was prescribed Arimidex as post menopausal. Onc suggested I waited at least a month before starting to take them, in order to give my body a chance to recover from the side effects of chemo. Hope this helps and you can sort your Onc out x

Hi,

Have found this thread really interesting.

Had my first injection of Faslodex this week which so far has not produced any significant side effects. However before the injection I had bloods taken which revealed my tumour markers have rocketed.

I have been off chemo for seven weeks and in hospital for a month because a spinal collapse. My onc. seems very laid back about it but I haved found it all quite scary.

He says the high tumour markers just show the cancer is active again but does not necessarily mean the tumours are worse than they were in January when I felt really ill and was in pain.

At the moment I feel the best I have felt all year so hope this hormone treatment will work and its good to hear other peoples experience and knowledge.

Cleomie

Most oncologists prescribe it at the check up after chemo. I think there is a research study to find the best starting times for hormone therapies pre op or post op if no chemo ( i’n not sure if it extends to post chemo if it is being used.)

Hi just a quick reply following 6 x FEC I was started on Exemestane at my check up had to remind Oncologist and the same following 6x Taxotere am now on Letrozole. But as with all treatments for cancer it is trial and error as we are all individuals and our cancer reacts differently and oncologists also although following NICE guidelines also have individual preferences for treatment sequences, timing and combination or single options. As the others have said if you feel dissatisfaction with your oncologist then change and it may be worth having a second opinion from the Royal Marsden I did and it restored my faith in my oncologist although I still question her decisions. Hope the Ai works well for you. Good luck.