Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hormone treatments - ER+

16 REPLIES 16
Carolyn52

Re: Hormone treatments - ER+

Hiya fredflowerpot!!
I think the zoladex injection is a monthly treatment to start and finish the menopause as you are young and then the exemestance is a hormone therapy to stop the oestrogen feeding the cancer. There are lots of hormone pills ..tamoxifen , arimidex and letrozole and I think a monthly injection fulvestrant ( or something similar) ..your oncologist will decide which is most suitable.
They are powerful little pills and always the first line in secondaries before other options like chemo etc.
My oncologist says that they can work for 3 months or up to 3 years ..everyone reacts differently.
I would imagine that you are plagued with hot flushes at the moment and there are a lot of threads with cooling ideas here around the board's.
Hugs xxx
fredflowerpot

very new here ... i am on zoldex injections and exemestance. anyone else on this combo  . i am just 40

Carolyn52

Hiya Barton.
Yes I did think about using the other chemist but will use these tablets this month and hope they settle. A lot of people poo poo different brands but there is a difference .
When I was on tamox ..I got the original brand and not generic and that's why I didn't get the se too much.
Weather gorgeous ...two of grandchildren now gone so just got the twelve year old ..he's still asleep ! Roast dinner in so yum .
Hope u can find a nice sunny spot to enjoy some UK Sumner.
Barton

Hello Varolyn, if it's the St Thomas surgery, can you not go to the other chemist there - they might be more obliging. You are not limitedcto the Boots, just because it's attached. I think lots of patients from there go to the other chemist.

Sorry for extra letter in there - still can't edit without deleting everything just typed. Will contact Mods again.

Hugs. Barton.x

Just noticed - should say Hello Carolyn!

Carolyn52

I have no choice as boots are attached to our doctors surgery so they are the preferred chemist.
Never mind I will grin and bear the change of brand but there is definately a difference.
Xx
rosie53

Morning Carolyn, Well Boots are being arsey!!!!! This is the problem with multiples they are often not very helpful. I work in a dispensary Carolyn and we have lots of patients requesting certain brands which we then put on their PMR  (patient medical record) so we know to get that brand in for them,  your GP does not have to put it on your rx that is only required if you wanted the branded not the generic ie: femara instead of letrozole?  At the pharmacy I work at we always do our best to get certain brands requested by a patient but sometimes it isn't possible because there is a manufacturing problem. If you can Carolyn your always best using an independent pharmacy they usually a lot more helpful!!! 

Hugs Janette xxxx 

Carolyn52

Grr. Just going to have a little moan and its trivial really but in eight months I have been having letrozole ..I have had four different brands. The last one cipra ..I have had for four months ..it's settled down with se but the last few days I felt out of sorts ..just noticed the new pack I opened is accord!
Phoned boots and they say that unless the doctor authorises a certain brand ..I have to have what they have in stock as they buy in bulk for the best deal.
There is a difference in brands and once again I feel palmed off with a cheap version.
Rant over now ...
Xxxc
pussy

Hi

your er status can change so can your her2 some oncs do yearly biopsies to check but mine does not believe in that and goes more on how the patient is. i was put on tamoxifen (had it in 1995 till 1998) end of 2013 i am 63 so post men 

it worked for a year end of oct 2014 had chemo paclataxal then after given exemestane but not everolimus as did not make the criteria which is 1 hormone and 1 chemo i had already had 2 of each the exemestane and chemo worked for 2 months though whilst on the chemo i shrunk down to just stranding's so i finished chemo april given exemestane in the june tumour grew told my bc nurse and in the august and asked for ct scan which took till the sept results end of october then put on letrozole which i have now been on with the densumnub injection for 5 months 

kay

HelenAquarius

Thanks Janette - yes I think I never rated the power of tamoxifen, that little tablet seems so insignificant alongside the whole process of doing chemo and rads last time and of their horrid side effects.

In my head it was just like a little extra but you've made me rethink how important this drug is! Thanks for your positive words. :-))

xx

rosie53

Hi Helen, I'm also one of the er+ gang, looks like you have had your answers but i will give you my story anyway. Was put on tamoxifen when dx with mets to hips ribs and spine in March 2014, last year I was changed to letrozole as I had stopped responding so well to tamoxifen, it is correct you are on only one of these not both at the same time. When I got my bone met dx I assumed I would be on chemo and and didn't see a long future ahead for me, Well I went straight on hormone treatment, do not be fooled by this little tablet they are powerful little uggers! I'm also on denosumab injections and zoladex. 

Take time to absorb things Helen it is a massive shock to be told you have this disease but as you will be able see by reading our stores it can be managed and you can still lead a relatively normal life, so go and look forward to your special day!!

Hugs Janette xxxx  

HelenAquarius

Thanks all for your answers. So much knowledge in these wonderful boards.

Julie d - I think it must be zometa I'll be going on too as a bone strengthener as onc mentioned IV every 4 weeks.

And excited to be planning my wedding now - something lovely to focus on and look forward to 🙂

x

miller08

Hi Helen, I had tamoxifen for 5 years after my initial dx and am now on Letrozole. I think Carolyn is right in that Letrizole is forvpost menpausal ladies but I recall my onc saying he might put me back on Tamoxifen as it did the job in the past. I don't think they use both together. All the best to you xxxx
JulieD
Community Champion

Hi HelenA,

Carolyn and Marirose have answered your question re Tamoxifen, it is used for both pre and post menopause, whereas the other hormones tend to be for post meno, the zoladex is to bring you into a chemical meno and once that has kicked in I imagine your Onc will change you to Letrozole or one of the others. The bone strengtheners do what they say, they help to strengthen your bones and help them to stand up to cancer better, there is some evidence that they might even have cancer fighting proprties. Lots of the women are on Denosumab I'm still on Zometa which is IV infusion every 4 weeks. This combination has kept me basically stable for six years so take some hope from that Smiley Wink

I hope your x=ray confirms the breathing is asthma and you can get on with your treatment and of course planning your wedding - good luck! xx

Marirose

Hello Helen

I was ER+ but I am now ER- because hormone drugs do not work for me. I started on tomoxifen back in 1996 had that for 5 years given ll clear so came off it. Then when my dx in 1913 it was still ER+ but after Letrozole didn't work the onc then was considering putting me on tomoxifen I wasn't keen but he decided to put me on Exemestane (tomoxifen is not just for pre menstral Carolyn) anyway the onc decided to put me on a combo with Everolimus and Exemestane which worked very well for 16 months but when it stopped I became ER-. I have chest wall and left breast tumour tumour in sacrum (spine) left pelvis femur tibia right femur and ribs and I feel I am not going anywhere yet because if my treatment stops working there are others to try.

So don't give up hope Helen I don't think your onc should have said bring the wedding forward until they know for definate what your results should be. But keep on to them for proper answers they should not give you such stress at a time like this. 

The bone strenghner may be Denosumab I think the majority are on this one Just a quick jab in the stomach

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that the results will be ok let us know how you get on

Love xxx

HelenAquarius

Oh ok, I am on zoladex too to stop my periods and I recall him saying once that had kicked in I would have something else. So maybe I'll be put on another thing too soon!

thanks! 

Carolyn52

Hiya. I will b the first to reply but I'm not sure if my information is correct.
There are several types and of hormone drugs but I think tamox is mainly if you are pre menopausal. There is arimidex , letrozole and another one beginning with E...for post menopausal. Think they all work the same sort of way and its just getting the right one.
The bone strengthener is to protect the bones from breaking etc. I think I was told they fill in the gaps of bone that is damaged by cancer and coat them to protect.
I hope that you get the correct dx and then the treatment plan can start.
It's a scary time ....after five months I'm still a quivering wreck when I see oncologist.

Hugs xx
HelenAquarius

Hormone treatments - ER+

Hi all. I'm a bit confused. 

I've got bone mets dx Jan 16 and was put straight back on tamoxifen which I'd have for 5 years with primary bc. I read others of you talking about letrozole Which I think is another ER+ hormone treatment.. Am I right? (I'm ER +)

My question is ... are some of you on that as well as tamoxifen or is it either one or the other?  Was expecting something more than tamoxifen.. They are sorting out biphosphates for bone strengthening soon. 

I have spent last 2 months with big problems with lungs which is how they stumplbed a cross the bone mets...  now my onc thinks is asthma rather than mets in airways.. So he was considering chemo but now holding back on that a while so perhaps he was waiting to be clear about that. It's been 2 months of a complete waiting game where he told me to bring my wedding forward from June because of the airways problems.. I really have believed I only had months left. And now fingers crossed (another chest ct on Thursday should confirm) that it's really asthma.

ill be glad when I've got a treatment plan in place for sure. So back to the question (!!) do you have both tamoxifen and letrozole ?

many thanks X