Hormone

Hi everyone I was told 3weeks a go I would have to have hormone treatment I would not mind but that is part of the reason I have breast cancer taking hrt for over 20years has not helped it has been feeding the cancer so iam 2days off it been cutting in half for 2weeks feel odd but no more for me ,head pain not bad feeling sick but will be ok just want to get op over with hope to be all over by this time next week .

Deleted

Hormone therapy does not mean you are given hormones. Tamoxifen prevents the cancer from feeding a nd growing using the oestrogen in your body. It is important that you take the dose that has been prescribed. If you search on this website you’ll find more info about how tamoxifen works.

Hi Toulula

I think you need to talk to your doctor and ask for an explanation of how the hormone treatment works.

Hi Toulula,

Below I have put you the link to BCC’s publication for Tamoxifen

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/tamoxifen-bcc20

and also the link to the area of this website where hormone therapy is discussed further

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/hormone-therapy

I hope you find it helpful.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Toulula, I found it confusing that they call it hormone treatment but it is actually treatment to block the hormones.  Did you mean you have been coming off the HRT gradually?  I don’t think you normally start tamoxifen etc until after surgery.  Good luck with your op next week.