Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible experience at breast clinic

7 REPLIES 7
angiepops

Re: Horrible experience at breast clinic

hi emaajj
could you make an appointment to see another gp and ask for a second opinion and explain what has happened?
you have to be more assertive, in my experience it took a different doctor to get anything done, i had a lump that was dismissed for 5 months as fatty tissue. looking back i would have done things differently. if it were me i would try and see someone else. cysts like you describe were diagnosed to my friend and thats what they were, just a clump of cysts that she has to live with, but you have to put your mind at rest.
good luck.
angie x
millymolly_m

Please try not to worry but do get a second opinion. Yes you are young and as everyone says it's likely to be nothing but far better to make a fuss and 'look silly' (I put that in inverted commas 'cos only you will think of it as silly, everyone who loves you will support you) than to have the doctors looking silly 2years later as in my case.
God bless keep strong,
MMM
BlueRose

Hi emaajj. I really hope that the consultant is right and that it is nothing to worry about. However, it does seem odd the way they treated you. I am 33 and the first time I saw the consultant they thought that my lump was just because I have "lumpy breasts" , they did, however, tell me to come back again in three months and have another ultrasound just to put everone's minds at rest. Unfortunately, I did have breast cancer - I really don't want to scare you - if they did an ultrasound and saw that it was a cyst then it probably is, I think they can tell the difference on the ultrasound by looking. But if you are really worried then maybe go back to your GP, tell them that you thought you were treated badly and ask for a second opinion. Breast cancer is hard to spot in younger women but it is also quite rare so try not to be worried but maybe get a second opinion - to help you feel at ease, if anything else. All the best. Xxx
Kindensurprise

Hi emmajj,
if it's any comfort to you, my lump which was bbc did not hurt at all, it was 3.7cm and I had 5/7 lymph nodes involved, but I seriously felt no,pain, and I was 38 at diagnosis.
all the best
Kinden x

Sam_BCC

Hi emmajj

As well as the support you are receiving here it might help for you to talk things through with a member staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your feelings and concerns with some one who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

nanniereeree

I would ask for a second opinion I would not be happy with how you were treated...
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
Don't give keep go with your gut instinct, I was 40 when dx, mine was a small lump which felt like a pea. Young people do get breast cancer, however many many people have lumps and they are fine, remember nine out of ten lumps are benign.
Watch the lump over the next few, make sure it doesn't grow and in the meantime go back to your gp and make your thoughts known. I'm not saying Drs get it right all the time, but usually if there is anything sinister it would show on ultrasound.

Good luck xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Horrible experience at breast clinic

So this week I had an appointment at the breast clinic as been having severe pain and swelling in breast and under arm since January and can feel a hard pea size lump. My GP could feel 2 so immediately referred me to the clinic.
At clinic I had a mamogram and told by consultant it was clear so I could go. She basically asked me why on earth I was there so told her about the lump and pain etc and she just kept saying your young, mamogram is clear so nothing to worry about. At this point she hadn't even examined me so I asked her was she not going too and her response was "Oh well I should". She examined me and told me I just had a lumpy boob, I pointed out to her the pea size lump I could feel and she said she could feel nothing, after me guiding her hand she agreed she could feel it and following further protests from me she agreed to an ultrasound so she marked the area to be scanned.
During the ultrasound they once again said they could not feel anything so I put my finger to where the lump is and the radioligist had a feel around and agreed she could feel it but nothing showing on ultrasound. After further scanning she said she could see about a 4mm cyst with a cluster of cysts around and underneath it but this was slightly up from where the lump she could feel is. She therefore told me nothing to worry about and to get dressed.
I then went back to the consultant and she told me I could go. I told her hang on so what is this lump is that the cyst and if so can you not drain it. She said no she will not do any further test as my mamogram is clear and I am young (30s) and statistically my chances of having something serious wrong is low so all she can suggest is painkillers for the pain and just deal with it and whatever I can feel might just go away. I asked her to confirm if the hard pea size lump I can feel, she did feel and the radioligst could feel is a cyst, she just replied with a "I guess so, yes just cysts". At this point I just walked out and was chased by a nurse who gave me a leaflet on cysts.
I felt so upset leaving the centre as she made me feel I was just wasting their time. Is this the normal repsonse if they find nothing on a mamogram to just leave it or should I get a second opinion. I am not a paranoid person but having a hard pea size lump in your breast does make me a bit nervous and if it is a cyst I don't understand why it can't be drained as I have been getting really severe pain in my breast which seems to get worse each month.
I was hoping my appointment at the clinic would give me an answer but I now still have no idea what this lump is.