Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrific fatigue

9 REPLIES 9
Judithvr6

Re: Horrific fatigue

Hi again,
Well done on getting to week 6 and still be at it.
If you are finding it extra tiring then slow down the 'run' bits. But no matter what speed when building up longer distances or longer time on your feet you will feel tired after them.
I guess I am very fit but I still find training tiring and rest is an important part of training so make sure you do it 😉

Jenny065

Hello Shauna,  I went to a Look Good Feel Better afternoon, it is lovely  am sure you will really enjoy yourself. I still get tired,   some days I am ok,  then bang-it hits me and I just have to sleep,  but over the months I think I have adjusted, maybe even accepted it,  and just try not to do everthing in one day.  the Fatigue course stressed- the "pacing"  and that is so true.     I am lucky that I no longer work so that helps a lot as I can please myself.  I don't know what you work is,  so the only thing I can say re work is take a good coffe break and lunch break, and maybe get a bit of fresh air .

I was off work some years ago with stress-thanks to my inefficient manager. and struggled when I returned so do understand a bit how you all feel trying to work after BC. Try and do something nice for yourself on your days off. I still have some me time and my OH does the same. We need to as we have 4 g.children. that keep us on our toes.   I think we do expect much to much of ourselves.  I certainly expected to be/do just as I was before. It is only now that I am starting to feel more ME....human. ..normal, well whatever that is.lol

Take Care,   Huggles-  Jenny.

Shauna72

Hi Jenny
Thank you for your lovely message. My bcn is non existent, a huge disappointment. I did go into Maggies cancer centre on tu after tattoos and they invited me to a look good feel better session which I think I'll go to. It's helpful to know I'm not mad and maybe expecting too much of myself. I feel that I only ever say " I'm tired" when people ask me how I am! Lots of breaks seems good advice. I'm definitely more tired since going back to work and not resting enough on days at home. Impressed about your walking! Has your fatigue resolved itself? Xx
Jenny065

Hello Shauna, Sorry you are feeling so tired, I too didn't need the chemo,  but certainly got very tired, still do some days, I thought it was just me, and maybe an age thing,  but my lovely BC nurse told me that fatigue is a recognised side effect of BC. I was very lucky and she referred me to a special course for Fatigue throuh macmillan,  it has taught me how to manage my days, not to try and do too much at a time-  pacing.   I still get days when I spend the afternoon sleeping. But I now plan and when it comes to housework I do it bit at a time with lots of tea breaks,  so it may take longer to get it all done but I get far more done that way. As the others have said be kind to yourself,  listen to your body,  you are already doing very well at 6 months .

Well done on starting the running but take it gently build it up slowly. I can't run but have done a few charity walks of 50 miles, thats my challenge for next year to walk  for our local new cancer unit.

Take Care,  Huggles Jenny. 

Shauna72

Hi Lexilou
Thank you. I think I should feel great. I did listen to my body and went to bed 3-5 on wed and felt so much better afterwards. Maybe I'm expecting of myself x
Shauna72

Hi Judith
I'm on wk 6 of 0-10k. Yest I did 5 min walk, 8 min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run and 5 min cool down. Is that ok?its a14 week programme. I was quite fit before hand but not a runner . You sound vv fit! X
lexilou3

Hi Shauna,
My fatigue was all consuming, and my return to work prolonged. It has improved, but only with my listening to my body and being kind and forgiving when i cant keep up.
My peeps just give me that knowing look as i either wake up on the sofa, or slope off to bed around 9pm....
Looking back i see how far i have come, and will keep plodding on.
Best wishes
LL xx
Judithvr6

Hi Shauna,

You have been through a lot in 6 months. I'm 5 months since diagnosis and have had a much easier time of surgery etc than you and I'm telling myself to have some proper rest days when needed.

I can't help regarding the blood levels etc but with regards to the training.

If you really are starting from a 'no previous running/exercise' base then I would suggest you might be trying to do the run bits too fast.

Most 'new' runners think they need to RUN but really it's all about getting out and keeping very close to comfortable in the 'running' bits.

How many days/ weeks into the plan are you?

Drop me a pm if you want any advice on how you are doing (I've 4 marathons under my belt and am training for a 100k (62 miles!!) in July)

Sam_BCC

Hi Shuna72

Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply you might find it useful to talk things through with a memeber of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Shauna72

Horrific fatigue

Hello. I am now 6 mths post bmx and siea flap reconstruction. I have been v fortunate not to need any chemo. I had a lot of complications post op with abdo seromas and wound breakdown. I recently returned to work and am just finishing a phased return. The main issue is total fatigue. Even if I get 9 hr sleep I wake up feeling exhausted as if I've been up all night. I'm exercising, trying to do couch potato to 10 k for maggies cancer centres but it doesn't help. My haemoglobin was 8 and is now normal. Is this normal? Surely I should feel great by now? I feel like a moaning minny at home. I could happily spend all day in bed. I eat well , lots of protein , and don't drink or smoke. X