Hospital lost my mother's notes - where to go from here?

Hiya,

Im new to the forum, apologies for barging in asking for advice without getting to know you guys :confused:

My mother had breast cancer at 46 and ovarian at 58. She also had a brain tumour, womb cancer and cervical cancer.

I am 43.

We are of a Polish jewish background so I have had the BRCA test that links with that. thankfully negative.

I should be eligible for the non jewish version test - BUT the hospital cant find notes of my mothers OC. It was before they kept computerised notes.

I have no record of it as my mother passed away in 1995 (not of cancer), I cannot imagine what written evidence I WOULD have of it.

I cannot have this final test because they cant find these notes.

i dont know what to do.

they have suggested i am tested privately. I am on working tax credits, and should at this moment be working on the one job i have been able to find in months which shall just about help us break even. 

I cannot afford private, but more than this, it is THEIR fault, i didnt lose the notes.

i am certain she had OC, I rememebr the tumor showed through her skin, i remember her pushing my hand on it and saying “What do you think that is? Ive had it for ages” I remember her throwing up all her food, and the hospital finally finding it after numerous digestive tests - it was the size of a grapefruit.

I am finding this very upsetting - not only am i concerned that i have the BRCA glitch undiagnosed. Not only am i concerned that I cannot afford a private test, nor the time its taking for me to pursue this in a complaint. But I find it most upsetting the implication that i am wrong about her having had OC :frowning:

I wonder if any of you have any advice on how i can move forwards?

m

x

Hello Mimimomo

Welcome to the forums.  You’ve come to the right place for support as many of the users of this site have a wealth of information and experience between them.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you could give our free helpline a ring on 0808 800 6000 and have a confidential chat with one of the breast care nurses who are there to support you, lines are open to Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

I am sorry to hear that you are having these difficulties. The only thing I could think of that may help is that if your Mother had a post mortem examination you may be able to get a copy of the report. The report may contain details of the ovarian cancer as one of the findings. Reading it would be emotionally difficult, but mould give you the information you need. You could also see if her GP has any letters on file from her hospital consultants (I have no idea how long the GP records are kept for)

Hopefully someone else may have some better ideas to help you.

Best wishes

Hi

Sorry to read about your predicament.  I hope you are able to pursue this and have the relevant testing on the NHS.  For what it’s worth I think it’s disgusting that having lost your mother’s notes the hospital have suggested you go private.  The PALS Team at the hospital may be able to help.

I’ve had genetic testing too (on the NHS).  Do you have any contact with the geneticist who carried out the BRCA testing which you’ve already had?    I just wondered, because when I had testing my geneticist checked details of my various relatives on the “cancer register”.  This included a cousin who died of a brain tumour in 1989.  Details of the type of brain tumour were available on the cancer register and this proved a useful addition to the overall picture.

You don’t say how long ago your Mum had her cancer diagnoses but I just wanted to let you know that details were available on the cancer register for my cousin who was diagnosed over 25 years ago.  

Could your GP refer you to an alternative genetics service at another hospital?  I don’t know where you live geographically but if you’d like details of my NHS geneticist (in southern England) please PM me.  She is awesome - leaves no stone unturned and is right on my side when it comes to obtaining information and recommending screening.