Hot flush remedies?

Hi All,

I’m on my 5th cycles of Taxol and have been having hot flushes since the 4th cycle. It usually happens at night so i’ve trouble sleeping?

Does anyone know of any remedies for it?

Thanks!

Take care!

Sylvia

hi sylvia, hot flushes!!!hit me after my 3rd chemo is awful and was crying and very deppressed I don,t use that word lghtly, went to see my crainal osteopath as he had told me a few years ago he can help with the menopause,and I can,t believe the difference 1 treatment has made,depression lifted not tearful and hot flushes less and not as intense,must be a crainal osteopath!as they have extra years of training and is a very gentle treatment but great results wish you well as it,s horrible we need all the sleep we can get. take care sheena x

Hi Sylvia

I use Femicin which is Black Cohosh based. Not sure if it is available in the UK, but something with Black Cohosh or just Black Cohosh should be. This has allowed me to get about 5 hours sleep before I wake, where as I was always waking up after 2 hours. I usually get back to sleep relatively quickly now, altho I do get the hot flushes when I am awake and a few during the day.

Some people use Evening Primrose oil or Chillow pillows.

Caffeine and alcohol make hot flushes worse so I avoid caffinated drinks and sadly chocolate, since I found out this has caffeine in too, altho I find chocolate covered things OK in moderation!

I hope you find something to help. Lack of sleep affects so many aspects of our lives.

All the best, Macc

Thanks Macc.

Heard that the Ladycare magnet really helps too. May get it next week to give it a go! :smiley:

here’s some info on it.
boots.com/en/Ladycare-menopause-relief-magnet_122270/

I love coffee but haven’t had that since i started chemo. still have tea though so i probably should stop taking that as well. :frowning:
Chocolate would be difficult to cut back on but guess i should try.

Thanks again,
Sylvia

Sylvia

Let me know how you get on with the magnet if you do decide to get it. Can’t imagine how it works, but I’d try anything.

Regards

Macc

I dont take anything for my hot flushes/sweats, but I do have a Chillow, which I find a great help. (just google chillow)
I dont sleep well either as keep having to throw bedding off and on, but have found having the window open seems to help reduce the number of episodes. The down side of this is my head gets freezing (am on chemo, so bald) and I end up wearing a hat to bed.
Love Jane

I was talking to my oncologist about hot flushes the other day and she suggested trying sage, which I’d never heard of as a remedy before. Get it at a health store. She also recommended the chillow, from her own experience!

Hi,
I got a Chillow as suffer with hot flushes & found it helped quite a bit. Also sleep with the window open & alchol definatly makes it worse!
Have also been having a herbal drink called SleepyTime before bed which helps me get off to sleep, the hard part is then staying asleep!
Hope this helps.
Suz