Hot flushes and letrozole

Hi ladies,

I have been having hot flushes due to the menopause for nearly three years now. They are inconvenient but no worse than that. I am now being offered letrozole for recurrent breast cancer, and hot flushes are one of the side-effects. Does that mean I am likely to just get more of the same, or is it more likely that the hot flushes will become more frequent or severe than they already are?

Thanks a to all,

Christine

Hi Stocksfield,

You might find it helpful to give our Helpline a call to talk things over.  They’ll be able to offer you information and support.  Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

I’ve also attached a link to our booklet on Letrozole:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc64_letrozole_web_0.pdf

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Christine
I think the reaction depends on the person. I had not had hot flushes for years but when I started letrozole they were very similar to what I had before. They disappeared after about two months.
Boa

I started Letrozole in Sept and even though post menopause I’d never had a flush in my life. Within a week on Letrozole I started experiencing flushes although not too bad. However in Dec I started taking my tablet in the evening - Result ! Have no side effects during the day and my life is so much better now Good luck xx