Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How bad?

12 REPLIES 12
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: How bad?

Roadrunner my mum is not married but has a partner. He lives a long way away and they only see each other at the weekends. He lives in the country and has a beautiful garden so it will be nice to convalesce in.
I am her only child and I have two children. I have a 9year old boy and a 4month old girl.
We are a very small family. She has 2 sisters who have no children but they live quite far away anyway.
She owns an ironing business so is very worried about getting lymphodemia as it will basically ruin the business. At the min she has a lady in to iron for her but is making no money from it so she needs to get back to it herself. I am doing a little ironing but mainly do the deliveries and collections in the evenings for her now while she isnt allowed to drive after the masectomy.

Her whole life is revolved around things that run a risk of bringing on lymphodemia ie. gardening (landscape not just plants), DIY eg. she put a fence up for me in the summer. Dug holes, sunk posts into concrete, made me a 6ft gate. Decorating, mountain climbing which involves carrying a rucksack. Ironing.
I know she will still be able to do these things but will have to be so so careful.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

Yes help with the housework is always welcome. Everyone reacts differently to the treatment but tiredness is very common, I used to come home from chemo and go to bed for a while!

Herceptin is different to chemo, less side effects but as Roadrunner has said it's a long haul (18 cycles every 3 weeks) and that's tiring in itself. Your Mum will have to have regular heart scans (every 3 months I think) as Herceptin can affect the heart.

Take care

Veggie

RoadRunner

Hi Lindsay,

It is likely that your mum will get very tired during her treatment. As she is Her2 positive, I assume she will have herceptin. To have chemo - rads - herceptin is a very long haul (I was 22 months from diagnosis to the end of herceptin). If she is a stubborn as you say, and tries to do everything herself, she will probably become exhausted.

You don't say anything of her situation (ie is she on her own, or who is at home with her). During my treatment (dx Feb 07, finished herceptin Dec 08) I had my husband and three teenagers around. We definitely struggled during my chemo. The best thing that anyone ever did for us was to make a meal for us - it is so nice to have someone turn up on your doorstep with a complete meal ready to eat. Also you may wish to consider who is doing the housework - can you help with cleaning/washing/ironing?

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for replying.

Yes mum is getting 4 different treatments. Chemo, rads and im near sure the 2 you mentioned. There is one she has to take for 5 years.
She had a full mastectomy and all 3 level nodes removed. Chemo is starting on the 16th so if there is any advice for me looking after her it would be great. Although in saying that mum is very stuborn and has to do all herself. She has NEVER needed anyones help before.

Lindsay

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

I hope you and your Mum are coping as best you can, it is a such a worrying time for you both, I'll try to help.

It looks like your Mum's cancer is oestrogen positive, prostesteron (spelling!) negative and HER2 positive. Her2 positive means it is protein receptive and the treatment for that is Herceptin, she may get Tamoxifen as well as her cancer is also hormone receptive. As she's mid menopause she may get amiridex (spelling again!)

DCIS high means there was widespread cancer but it was contained in the ducts. Some of it has burst out of the ducts though and spread to the lymph nodes. My diagnosis (May 2007) was basically the same and I had 2 out of 10 nodes involved, I had a grade 3 tumour that they only found after surgery. I had a full mastectomy, chemo, rads, Herceptin and I'm on Tamoxifen until 2012.

I hope this helps, feel free to send me a private message if I can help further. I have everything crossed for you both.

Take care

Veggie

Guest user
Not applicable

I already posted this but it didnt show up.

I have mums result letter here so will type it out.

TYPE OF CANCER GRADE ER Status PR Status HER2 Status

infilrating duct 2 Positive Negative Positive

DCIS high

Also the Consultant said somthing about the tumour not being contained, that it had burst off in all directions! Does this make any sence as its obviously not medical terms lol!

Oh and mum is 54years old mid menopause

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your replies.

I have a copy of her results sheet here and will type what it says.

TYPE OF CANCER GRADE ER Status PR Status HER2 STATUS

infiltrating 2 Positive Negative Positive
duct

DCIS HIGH

The surgeon mentons something about the tumour not being contained that it has sort of burst off into different directions???? Anyone know what she meant by that. Obviously not medical terms lol!

Guest user
Not applicable

I asked my onc about vascular invasion and she said it makes no difference at all xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Lindsay - sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis and op - this initial part waiting to get results find out what happens next is one of the hardest parts... {{{hugs}}}

It is hard to say what will happen to your mum as i know of people who have had brilliant initial results who have gone on to have secondaries (cancer spread to other organs) and also people with huge tumours and lymph node involvement who are still here to tell the tale many years later...

As well as the things you have told us so far it will also partly depend on your mum's age and whether her tumour was oestogen positive and herceptin positive (if it is hormone positive you also go onto hormone treatment and if herceptin positive you get herceptin...)

Yes 7cm is quite large - but it is better that it was grade 2 (the grades are 1, 2, 3 with 3 being the most different to normal cells...) The DCIS means there was part of the tumour that was non-invasive (the IS stands for in situ and means the cells in that part were still in the ducts...)

That is a large number of lymph nodes and i'm going to be honest it is not brilliant news that the cancer had spread as far as level 3... but and it is a big but - if it has spread no further then the cancer was still contained... Have they mentioned if there was any vasuclar invasion...? That is when the tumour has its own blood supply and so cells can spread via the blood stream...

I really hope the scans go well and there has been no spread... do keep posting and once your mum has more of the results call the help line on here so you can discuss what it all means...

Take care

Theresa x

Louise_BCC

Hi Lindsay

I am sorry to hear of your mum's diagnosis, it is understandably a very worrying time for all of you.

I am sure you will receive lots of support and information from our many users, but in the meantime, you and your mum might be interested in a couple of Breast Cancer Care's publications.

One is a resources pack which can be ordered using this link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.681/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

This pack is for anyone with a primary diagnosis of breast cancer. Its filled with information to help you and your mum better understand her diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available to her.

The second is a publication which focusses on the various treatments available which you may also find useful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.681/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Kind regards

Louise
Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lindsay,

sorry to hear about your mother. I am in no way an expert and it is so hard not to worry and question every piece of information you are given. The waiting is the hardest part. There are so many factors that indicate how serious the cancer can potentially be. Yes, 7cm is relatively big, but grade 2 isn't the most agressive kind. 16 nodes are clear which shows they have been doing their job.

Try and stay as positive as you can.

Alison
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, sorry to hear about your mum. I dont know if it helps but i am currently having chemo to shrink an 8cm lump, the scan also showed a central lymph node enlarged so they think it has spread that far. My cancer is a grade 3. I had a scan before starting the chemo and it showed no evidence of secondarys.
i hope you get good news
anna

Guest user
Not applicable

How bad?

Hello everyone. My mother has recently been diagnosed with BC and had a masectomy 3 weeks ago. She has no internet access so has asked me to come on here for her.
She got her results last week and we are a little confused as to the seriousness of the whole thing.
She has been told that her tumour was Grade 2, it was 7cms, she had 30 lymphnodes removed and 14 had cancer cells in them. The cancer is invasive ductal but also had DCIS! One of the cancerous lymphnodes was taken from level 3 right up in her collar bone.
So basically we want to know is 14 out of 30 lymphnodes a lot? Is 7cms big?
She is getting her body scan 2moro and I have a gut feeling it is going to show secondaries (sp). Does it sound like it might have spread with those details?

Im sorry for so many questions but we both feel so confused. If you are reading this and can answer any of my questions please do so and thank you for reading.

Lindsay