How can I reassure my Mum

Hi I do hope someone could put my mind at rest. My dear Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 63, but due to the early diagnosis and the wonderful work of the hospital staff, she had a small lump removed and was eventually given the all clear. Now at the age of 70 she has just had another scan and been told that they are 99.9% she is all clear,however, 1 week later she has just received a letter to say she needs to go back so they may take some more film. Could you tell me if this is common. I would be very grateful for any advice you can give, my mum goes back for more tests in a week which I know isn’t long, but I know she is very scared. Thanks for reading.

Dear yorky,

Welcome to the forums. I am sure some of the other members will soon respond to your post.

You may also like to phone our confidential Helpline. The trained staff will be able to offer information and support. They will be open from 9.00am to 2.00pm tomorrow. The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

Hi Yorkie
What a wonderful daughter you must be trying to reassure your Mum. If the Drs were 99.9% sure she was clear then try and emphasise this. I think it does happen that the experts like to be doubly sure that all is ok. Occasionally another pair of eyes may interpret things differently and so it’s only sensible to do more tests. It’s always scary to be recalled but again remind her how lucky she was last time as things were caught very early. If there is any abnormality this time then it would seem to be very early.
Just keep giving her your love and let her know you are there for her. This is by far the best you can do. Hope it helps you as well!
Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Love
Margaret