How did you feel after WLE & SNB?!

Hi Everyone,

I had a WLE & SNB a 5 days ago. The scars are bigger than I expected, very sore and my breast is still blue - didn’t realise that it would be blue for so long afterwards - think I must have blocked that info out! I and everyone else was suprised how well I seemed initially but have been shocked by how exhausted I am over the last few days.

I had a difficult day today. My wounds are red and sore and I feel really low and tearful. Is the redness and soreness a sign of infection or a sign of healing?

Also, I feel worried that the cancer has spread (all I know currently is that its a 12mm, grade 3 ER+ tumour) and that i will need more surgery, really aggressive treatment, and ultimately, i feel really scared of dying. Its hard to put a brave face on today for my daughters - especially for my youngest (she is 12) who is very upset by my diagnosis, surgery and what other treatment I may need. Is it ususal to feel worse 5 days after surgery? How have others coped with the waiting for results?

Thanks everyone!

Jacqui

Dear Jacqui - it’s very early days for you and I’m just sending you some moral support. Any form of operation is going to wipe you out for a while. Your body has had a trauma. I allowed myself a week of feeling rubbish just from the anaesthetic, based on previous experience. As for being blue, do you mean from the dye? I am still a little bit blue and my op was June 3rd. Was told it could take months to disappear. I wouldn’t have expected your wounds to be anything like healed yet. Are you getting visits from a district nurse? She will make sure they are clean and healing the way they should.

Sorry your daughters are finding it hard - it is a scary time. I know. I hope you’re getting plenty of opportunities to rest and that you have some help at home.

All the best
Helen

Hi Jacqui

Sorry to hear you having a difficult day. I had WLE and SNB 1st september, i had my dressings taken off 5-6 days later, i was and still am a little tender and bruised (and still have blue area near nipple, i think this will fade but will take some time) The scar under my arm is about 5cm and quite uncomfortable but the scar on my breast is only about 2cm and is right on the edge of the nipple.

Have you seen gp yet to get it checked? If it is weeping or very painful i would get it checked asap just in case of infection.

I also drove myself insane with worried thoughts of spread. Its so difficult not to worry but try and occupy yourself and mind until your post op appointment.

Hope you feel a bit better soon, take it easy x

Hi, I had WLE and SNB 1 year ago today. I also didn’t realise how big the scar in my armpit was going to be. The blue boob bit lasts a long time, think weeks or months rather than days, although it does fade.

The problem with the scar being in the armpit is that you are forever rubbing against it with your arm, if you are worried about it phone your Breast Care nurse and she may suggest you go in for someone to have a look at it, you might want to check your temperature, as this is can be a sign of infection.

Don’t forget that you are not only getting over the physical effects of surgery, but also the emotional effect of the diagnosis, and the prospect of further treatment. These emotional effects can be very exhausting, especially if you are trying to put on a brave face for your daughters.

Is the more surgery a reconstruction, or to get clear margins? I had a reconstruction using the skin from my back a month after the WLE, followed by chemo and radiotherapy, finally finished treatment mid June. Mine was 20mm, grade 3 and triple negative.

Waiting is always the worst, but whatever the results there are more than likely people on here who have been through similar an can give good advice. All questions welcome.

Jen

I think it would be a good idea to ring your breast nurse tomorrow and say the scars are red and sore, it is always possible that there is an infection and if there is that will make you feel ropey and down. Are you far from the hospital?? I bet they suggest that you pop back to have them checked. They are the experts at how everything should be healing. And you can also have another chat about your future treatment to get some re-assurance

I bruised very badly, it spread round my back and across to the other boob, is that what you mean by blue??

I personally get knocked completely out by anasthetics and i was tired and doing not much at all for nearly two weeks, it is different for everyone. and i bet with small children you are trying to do do too much and not looking after yourself.

Hi Jacqui.

My situation was exactly like yours. Initially I was fine after the surgery, but then a couple of days later felt really down. I was told it was a combination of worry and tiredness, the anaesthetic takes a few days to get out of your system too.

My WLE scar surprised me as being much longer than I thought and I was blue for ages and ages (I remember my wee being blue too for a day or two!). I think if you are worried about your wound, have it checked at the doctors. I did too!

My cancer was also grade 3, ER+ and I did go on to have further surgery and treatment, but other people don’t. It’s a worrying time, I know, and nothing we can say will make it go completely away. Try and keep busy and distracted - being in the waiting room is a very difficult part of this whole BC thing and once you know what lies ahead you will feel much more in control.

My daughters were 15 and 12 at the time and I wanted to show them that I was ok and not hysterical and I think this helped in keeping me distracted - although others said I was in denial (but it worked for me!). I did explain to my daughters what was happening though, but spared them my worries.

I do hope you don’t have to wait too long for your results. Feel free to PM me if you wish. You will get a lot of support from people on here - we all completely understand what you are going through.

Best wishes

Rachelx

PS BTW I’m through my treatment and feeling fab.

Hi JacquiD, bless you yes I am afraid it does hurt more for a while then does get better honest! I had the same procedure and called myself a smurf for a few days even my face was blue! You are bound to feel tired after all it has only been 5 days and there is the emotional/mental tired that we don’t allow for after all it’s not something we figure into things until it hits you! That’s where the tears and feeling low come in it is also a side effect of anaesthesia so give yourself some time and as most ladies here will tell you be kind to yourself.
Mine was Grade 3 ER+ and HER + so , I had chemo then two ops followed by rads and now on Herceptin and Arimidex ,like you I was scared and unlike you my children are all grown but it is hard and when you know what next you will find it easier because you have a plan. It may help to talk to your BCN who will have come across this many times she may have some advice on how to cope with information for your daughters.
Waiting for results is a rotten place to be I drove myself mad with imagining all sorts and that made me tired too, wisely as a very dear friend told me (she too had cancer 20 years ago) and is still here her daughter was 12 too,cross your bridges when you get to them I know it is easier said than done but I found if I focussed on the next step I got through it better, I hope this makes sense and I am sure the wonderful ladies on here who have had to cope with young children will have some advice to give.
As to your redness ring your BCN that’s what she is there for too if it helps put your mind at ease then have it checked out.
I know someone will be along to maybe give you some pointers but believe me we have all been there in that ‘famous’ waiting room it is awful just hold on you will get there and so will your daughters. Massive HUGS
Em
p.s the blue stays for a while so don’t be too shocked! all smurfs together!

Hi Jacqui, i think the others are right, just get it checked out. I wasn’t feeling too brilliant last week & my boob was red & more swollen than it was straight after the op. I went to my GP & she said i had mastitis, an infection inside the breast. She gave me antibiotics & by the next day i was feeling fine so that may be all it is,worth checking anyway.
Im 49 & grade 3 & my onc said a lot of the younger woman i.e under 50 have grade 3, it is aggressive in how fast it can grow because we’re premenopausal but it’s also treatable. He also said that being ER+ was good. So it’s not all doom & gloom. I have to have chemo but it’s not because it’s spread everywhere,i had just micromets in 2 nodes.The other reasons for chemo were my age, being premenopausal etc. Were your nodes affected at all? What other surgery do u need?
You’re bound to feel down at times, its only natural but we’re all here to listen, take care x

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences - even though i’ve got lots of great support in my life it feels like the only people who really ‘get it’ are those who have been there…So helps to know that other people have those very wobbly moments too - and the good advice about getting through the waiting part…

I saw my BCN to day and the reason I was feeling so sore was because I had a seroma. She used a syringe to draw off the fluid which was pretty unpleasant and she then got the Doc to prescribe more painkillers. Its the first time I’ve been out of the house since the surgery a week ago and I felt very strange and lightheaded and couldn’t wait to get home and lie down. I am still feeling very low and tearful. I have been referred to the psychologist in oncology - first appointment with her next week. Still can’t believe that my life has been taken over by BC in this way. Very upset and unhappy.

Its so not fair!!!

Jacqui

Hi
Sorry to hear that you are feeling upset. I can totally understand how you felt when you went out for the first time. It is quite a scary thing to do as you feel so vunerable. I felt worried that someone was going to bump into me all the time. Your body is getting over the trauma of the operation and your mind has a lot to cope with. Be kind to yourself you will get stronger.
Take care and lots of love
KatyD