68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you go about telling your employer?

4 REPLIES 4
Candyflossie

Re: How did you go about telling your employer?

Thank you all for the replies, I am sure they will be supportive, it's just the nerves of not havig the bigger picture ahead so plans can be made. But we'll figure something out.

Wendy, there is one colleague that knows so far, she's kept it quiet and also gave her the impulse to get herself checked, but I am planning to tell my manager tomorrow and take it from there.

Keep in touch here Smiley Happy

keeks

Hi Candyflossie welcome to our horrible club.

everyone has a different experience on this journey and just as everyone has a different treatment, how we cope with it all is completely different.

I know of many people who have worked through treatment with no problems, the recommendation is you take time off after operations,  and I would agree with that. I did too much after WLI as I was feeling fine and ended up back in hospital.

I was unemployed when I was diagnosed and there have been times when I would have welcomed the distraction of work there is a lot of waiting around in this game.

I am afraid you will have to tell them some time and I find just getting it over with is the best policy.  

You can't plan how you are going to react to treatment but I'm sure any decent employer would be there to support you. Many of the women having radiotherapy with me are back to work after their appointments. The treatment only takes ten minutes.  

Maybe you could arrange to cut down your hours during treatment times.  Remember you are now covered by the disability legislation so employers have a legal duty to help you out. It's better to have you working part time than off sick.

I think the most important thing is listen to your own body.  You will have good days and bad days . Don't push yourself too hard. 

Take care

Keeks

Lucy_BCC

Hi Candyflossie

Welcome to the BCC forums, in addition to the support here our helpliners are on hand for you on 0808 800 6000 with practical and emotional support, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

Here's a link to the BCC 'Just diagnosed' information and further support ideas including 'Live chat' amd 'Someone like me' which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

WP23

Hi candyflossie,

I was diagnosed 02/04/14 and have since had WLE & SNB, awaiting results!!

My employer has been very good, i have an important role and my job is quite stressful so my GP signed me off work the day I was diagnosed, she said the job was too stresssful and that i am not to return until this crazy journey is over.

My employer accepted this and keeps in touch by email and telephone calls if there is anything i need to know, or just for a catch up to see how i am doing.

My team is also being restructured and i hadto to be interviewed on Thursday (8th), i went ahead with the interview and asked for no concessions as i wanted to be in the "same boat" as everyone else. I could have had a scaled down interview.

I hope your employer will be understanding as it is hard enough getting your head around all that is happening to you without the added pressures. Does your employer have any indication that you are unwell?, Is there someone that you could have a 1 to 1 chat with to explain your situation?

In the grand scheme of things our health is so much more important x

Good luck with your operation.

Take care

Wendy xx

Candyflossie

How did you go about telling your employer?

I have recently been diagnosed and already know my lumpectomy and SNB date and told that I will have radiotherapy after. I'm stressing about how to tell work, given the fact that I am playing a crucial role in the business.

Any thoughts or experiences? thank you