How do I get myself out of this low mood?

Hello All

I newcomer to the forum and this is my first attempt at joining in.  I am just so sorry that I did not find this sooner, it would have been a big help to me over the past ten months.

I had a masectomy in November,followed by chemotherapy and finished my radiotherapy last month.  I was on Herceptin every three weeks but they have to stop that for the time being because of a problem with my heart.  I have to see a cardiologist on Thursday and he will decide if I can restart the Herceptin.

I really thought after finishing the radiotherapy I would feel so much better, but a depression seems to have come over me.  Everything seems such an effort, cannot be bothered to do anything or go anywhere.  I know I am as miserable as sin and horrible to live with.  I suppose I thought life would get back to normal but what is normal now.  My son (who lived with me) emigrated so had to move out of my house, now living in a flat with my partner (how he puts up with me I shall never know), breast cancer in November and made redundant at the end of November, have not worked since. So what is normal now?

Sorry to sound such a misery but is there anyone out there who has felt the same and how did they snap out of it.

Would love some advice.

Thanking you in advance

xxxx 

Hello Susieben

Welcome to the forums, this must be very difficult time for you. I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime, maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer practical information as well as emotional support. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Hi
I think what you are feeling is not unusual. I had a mastectomy last August and I’m waiting for my second recon op. I understand what you say about feeling apathetic and difficult to live with. I’m a nightmare at times. The thing that helped me was doing a course at my local Maggie’s centre on how to live with less stress… This might help you.maybe you should try calling the helpline on here.
It’s a lot to take in and now you’ve finished treatment, it’s quite normal to feel low. I was like this, but things are improving slowly.
Take care, try the Maggie’s centre for help and support. I hope that helps
X