How do I support my Mum & Dad?

Hi

I found out last night that my step-mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She has been with my Dad for 12yrs now and even before my Mum was killed 2 years ago she has been as close to a mother as she could be without actually giving birth to me! She was adamant when she told me that she didn’t want me to get upset and that she needed my support. She is determined that cancer is not going to beat her and she is getting all the information she needs to help her fight it. She has an MRI scan on Tuesday to determine if she can have a lumpectomy rather than a mastectomy, she then has the operation on 7th May and she will have to have some lymph nodes removed at the same time. My Dad will be there with her all the way but I just wanted to ask if anyone can advise what I can do to support both of them.

I understand that the treatment after the surgery will make her tired - does anyone have suggestions on what makes you feel better, any homeopathic treatments or even just days out that help you forget for a while.

I know she will want us to behave normally with her but I want her to know that we are all here to help and I want to be able to make it easy for both of them.

Thanks

First of all, may I say what a lovely stepdaughter/son you are to be taking all this trouble. People have different needs when undergoing treatment for breast cancer, but from a practical point of view, doing all the heavy housework, like hoovering, pegging out washing etc, shopping is a great help for the first couple of weeks as she will be very tired from the surgery, but I am sure you’ve already thought about that. I think anything that will help your stepmum relax for a bit now and again is good. For example, I have been having reflexology regularly throughout my treatment and it has been a Godsend. It is so relaxing and as far as I am aware, has no contraindications to treatment. Your dad will need lots of support because he will be terrified and if he is like most men, he may feel left out a bit, so make sure you ask him how he is feeling regularly.

These forums are really good for you and your stepmum and your dad if he wants as they are a way of finding out information and letting off steam.

Wish you all the best

Cathy
xxx

Hi No1supporter

I am sorry to read of your step mums recent diagnosis. I am sure you will find the forums very supportive and informative. You may find it helpful to have a look at some of our publications and information leaflets as they can be very helpful. There is one in particular called ‘in it together’ which is designed for partners of people diagnosed with BC, it may be useful for your Dad to read. It can be found by following the link below:-

breastcancercare.org.uk//docs/inittogether_web_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
Bcc Facilitator

Hi No 1

How lovely you are to be so supportive to your stepmum and dad. These next few weeks will be so up and down but we will be here for you!!!

please keep us posted.

Just be there for both of them and take care

Love Kay x

Hi No1

Get a copy of Dr susan Love’s, The Breast Book. Amazon stock it. It is in amazing book and will help you and her make some of the decisions necessary. Good luck.

Sharon

Hiya

Well done for being so supportive and actually asking people how you can help. I have seen from a variety of my friends and family, that it can be difficult knowing what to do and when to do it, without it seeming like you’re taking over.

Like others have said, doing the main stuff round the house is a start. Washing up, hoovering, ironing, dusting etc This not only takes the physical side of it away, it also will help with your step-mums mental state, as she won’t be stressing about getting things done.

My auntie was great, she went on autopilot and did stuff like this for us (my husband went into a bubble for a bit and didn’t quite know how to deal with day to day stuff) but my dad went the other way and wouldn’t even let me make a brew!! This was quite frustrating as I didn’t want to be treated like an invalid just because I had surgery and was weaker than normal. I found that trying to get back to day to day stuff as soon as possible helped me a lot, so my life wasn’t revolved around the big C all the time. It’s hard enough trying to forget about it for a while when you’ve got all your hospital appointments and scans going on, so although you need to have it in the forefront of your mind a lot of the time, it’s nice when people don’t automatically assume you want to talk about it all the time… if that makes sense?

Was there anything that you and your step-mum did together before her diagnosis? Carry on with this if you can (if you went rock climbing or para-gliding then you’ll have issues) to try and keep some form of normality to it all… the same with your dad.

Your dad and step-mum (depending on their relationship) may need some time away from each other too. My husband and I got quite ratty with each other because we were both trying to come to terms with the diagnosis, whilst not showing too much on the outside, as we didn’t want to upset each other. My auntie took me out shopping for the afternoon (this has now became a regular occurrence and Tuesdays is now Ladies Day for us) to give my husband a break from ‘caring’ for me… It helped a lot to have that space away from each of us, so we could process things calmly.

Little pampering things help too - but do them off your own back and surprise her. Making her favourite dinner, running a hot bubble bath (once her dressings are off and her wound has healed) with candles everywhere and relaxing music, maybe even booking a table in a nice restaurant for your dad and her?

In regards to supporting your dad, that will be a bit harder. Men in general don’t like to talk about their feelings out loud, and he may try and be ‘the rock’ for your family. He also may not want to discuss his wife’s health with his daughter as he wouldn’t want to put extra worry on you… Just let him know that you are there for him as well as your step-mum, although I am sure he will already know this…

There are many partners on here (husbands *and* wives) who would be more than willing to help your dad deal with this, so if he can’t talk to you (or anyone else in your family/friends) then please point him in this direction if you feel it would help him…

Right, I’ve waffled enough - I’m sorry you have had to come onto here for help and support, but just to let you know that there’s tonnes of us on here going through what your step-mum is going through, and we’re more than happy to help where we can! Feel free to message me if you want xx

J xxx

Dear all

Thanks so much for all your responses, it’s so nice that you are here willing to share your experiences, especially when you are fighting BC yourself. I’m afraid it just strengthens my belief that bad things happen to nice people!

Your comments have been really useful. I will take time to get some literature so that I can understand more what Barbara (my stepmum) will be going through. Aside from the obvious helping out with the housework etc, it sounds like getting a balance between support and a normal relationship is what’s in order. I think the hardest bit for me will be seeing her so weak as for a 62yr old she is so very strong and active (she works harder that I do even though she’s retired!).

As you say - I think it will be harder trying to support my Dad as he will try to be strong for all of us. Perhaps taking Barbara out and letting him go off and play his golf will be the best escape for him. Also, just letting him know that he doesn’t always have to hide his real feelings in front of me or my brother, but we all know what men are like!

Thanks all so much - I really appreciate it. I will keep posting as I’m sure over the next few months there will be times that I need to talk to people who’ve been there.

Take care & keep strong.

Emma xx

i understand your concerns,my mother is about to under go chemo and you want to help her as much as possible but it is frustrating about saying the right things to her.We are only a small family but are so protective and we feared the worse when my mother was diagnosed with cancer,she worries alot and im the same as her but in a way i can understand what shes going through in her mind so believe it or not, a worrier is being positive for once, ie me, and trying my best to be positive with kind helpful advice and loving thoughts to pass onto her and of course some big hugs