How do you know??....about new mets.

As a stage 4 b/c patient, 21/2 years down the line…I’d really like to know how you became aware of futher mets…was it from a scan/ from symptoms. I’ve inflammatory arthritis on top of bone mets. & I’m very confused??

Do any of you have any suggestions??

Many, many thanks…

silverlining

Hi

Usually, with mets, you are scanned and this would pick any progression up. However when you have a long period of stability the scans are often further apart so any progression wouldn’t be picked up so quickly. I had this situation after being stable on anastrozole for 4-5 years, I hadn’t had a scan for about 12 months. However I did develop an ache in my right thigh and asked for a scan. My oncologist didn’t think it was anything related to my mets but was as shocked as I was when the results showed progression in my bone mets but also liver mets. This could have been picked up earlier if I’d had more regular scans so, my advice would be to request a scan if you’ve not had one for a while or if you are worried for any reason.

Nicky x

Hello Nicky,

First & foremost, many thx for your prompt, kind reply. This disease is remarkably isolating!

I’m on Letrozole & Denosumab injections.

Yes…I think even my onco. team has become somewhat complacent as I’ve been coasting for 2 1/2 years.

I think unless you are a Ca patient, you don’t realise that we do have ongoing aches and pains…but I’ve got quite a few…I shall be asking for a scan. Like you, I’ve not had a bone scan for a year…

Hey…ho…thanks again,

silver …x

Hello funnyface :womanhappy::womanhappy:,

Many thanks for your answer.  I had no new mets @ this scan; so my oncologist was delighted. I still have a lot of different pains…some brought about by dense scar tissue that has wrapped itself into my chest wall! My surgeon has said that I’m very unlucky, on this score.

Being 2 1/2 years after initial diagnosis; I’m finding the ‘going’ harder than it was. My salvation is my dry sense of humour. But I hope I can say that being stage 4, i do have ‘blue’ days that I hide from the world…tis a tough journey both mentally & emotionally…hugggs…x