71212members
374141posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How have you coped returning to a physical job?

1 REPLY 1
Jo_BCC

Re: How have you coped returning to a physical job?

Bringing this to the top for glitterbug

Jo, Moderator

glitterbug

How have you coped returning to a physical job?

Hi, I was interested in how people with very phyical jobs have coped with mastectomy and lymph node removal and if this has affected the way they work.
I am a jeweller and teacher, with teaching taking up most of my time and I'm worried that I won't be able to do many of the activities such as hammering, using rolling mills and presses and I'm also concerned that my place of work won't let me teach in the workshop because of worries I might get injured.
I had DCIS and radiotherepy 5 years ago and a right mastectomy and lymph node removal in march this year and I'm due back to work in September. I have tried to make some jewelley but have found it very painful, I am currently having skin expansion as part of a reconstruction and the muscle is tight and I have some cording under my arm so this is probably why.
I know it's still early days but I wondered if there are any jewellers or Anyone who works with tools and machinery who are a year or so post surgery that could tell me how it's been for you and if you've been able to resume your work.
Thanks x