cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How likely is chemo for me?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: How likely is chemo for me?

Hi Butterfly123.
Only just looked at this thread in quite a while!
It was Feistlet who said they were having TC rather than FEC T. I'm down to have 6 x FEC but am definitely going to ask about TC having read this.
Thanks to everyone else for their comments and sharing their experiences. I am struggling to come to terms with the thought of chemo but will get work through it when the time comes. Have been hit hard with a virus for past week, still not well and desperately hoping this won't affect start date of 21st for 1st chemo. Really think I will be better (well in mind at least) once this gets underway, yet again the waiting is so hard!
Hope everyone is going on OK. xxx

Hi Jules 66. I was interested in you saying you're having TC instead of FEC T as less brutal. Is that a newer type of chemo?

Hi jukes 66- I am quite similar to you.
I'm grade 3. Her2 and ER positive. I had 2 lumpectomy though and full node clearance. I am having chemo, heceptin, radiotherapy plus tablets beginning with T at the end plus a further op as still no clearance on cancer cells. I think they usually decide once they have the results of your nodes. If it has spread to nodes it is invasive and therefore chemo is needed. Hope you are ok ? I still feel like I'm in another world .. Thank goodness for this site x

Hi jules, yes I was going to say, if you're her2+ you will have chemo and herceptin. Please try not to worry about chemo, it's not easy but it is doable. You will do fine xxx

Jules66

JETS is absolutely right.  Herceptin is given for HER2+ and is infused every 3 weeks for 12 months so has to be given for the first 6/8 with Chemo.  I am two years on from the end of FECT 100 8 sessions in total.  The Chemo really is doable.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment.

Take Care  Gillyx  

Hi jules - they can only give herceptin via chemo that will b a reason that it's been advised likely to you xxx be prepared for go ahead with chemo so you are informed xx very best wishes x I'm one chemo down and doing ok xxx

Hi Jules_66

I had left mx and SN removal on 24/2 with two grade 3 tumours at 23mm and 22mm. I am ER/PR+ but HER2-, sentinel node had micromets and I am LVI+.

I'm now on Day 8 after first chemo session and am having 4 x TC rather than 6 x FEC-T which I am very pleased about as it is a lot less brutal!

My Onc said chemo was an absolute no brainer due to tumour overall size, grade, LVI status and my age (47). Radiotherapy is still being decided on but looking likely despite the mx.

At a young age (which is what they consider 40s) the absolute priority is to prevent recurrence. The Her2+ I think will also lean you towards chemo.

If your Onc say yes, do ask about TC rather than FEC-T, my lady is using the latest research out of America on this which was published in December 2014.

Good luck and try not to worry! Sarah xx

Hi Jules - I was in similar situation last November - opted for mx (not WLE only - wanted to feel cancerous tissue had all gone) and SNB - grade 3 tumour 13mm, micro involvemt in 2/3 nodes; vascular ok. Had expected rads but not chemo. However onc has gone for belt and braces approach ie both - I guess maybe reflecting grade and - albeit minor - node involvemt . The chemo ( so far have had 3fec and 2/4 t sessions) has been no prob - v few side effects and nhs has been fantastic re close monitoring. Cannot help re your specific question but I hope my exp feels encouraging for you too. (Am ER pos her2 neg). Good luck - it's doable!

Morning jules,
Glad to hear you op went well and you are home recovering so soon, I had a lumpectomy last fri and SNB and I'm still not back to ironing yet , can't believe you did that lol ! I've been making my sister do mine and hubby has taken care of pretty much everything else so been very lucky, the waiting game is the hardest thing isn't it and I feel constantly on edge about what's coming next, will find out Thurs what my next plan is and like you the chemo is what I'm dreading the most so praying I'm spared it.
Sorry Ive no answers to your question but just wanted to say hi and that I'm pleased you are through your op and home, take care love Jo xx

How likely is chemo for me?

Morning ladies. Can anyone answer my question?

I had left MX and SNR on Wednesday as had grade 3 invasive lump (40mm) and invasive calcification. Now know I am both HR and HER2 +. My surgeon said radiotherapy was almost certain and chemo likely but this was before HER2 result was known. They have already talked about going on hormone tablet and Herceptin at some point. Does anyone know or have been in similar situation and can say how likely chemo is? Chemo is the thing I have the biggest hang up about but I suspect I will need both radio and chemo. Don't get results following op for 2-3 weeks which seems an age away.

On the plus side feeling good after MX skin just feels tight and bruised-wonder if they let an elephant stand on my chest!!! Jules xx