How long after chemo can I have my op ?

Hi
I am due to have my ovaries out (asap says the genetics consultant) after chemo has finished. Does anyone have any idea of when that is likely to be. My last chemo (tax) is due next Wednesday (1.9)
Maria x

Hi, I was told any surgery would be done only once all blood counts had recovered. This usually takes 3-4 weeks. Probably depends on your consultant. Really good luck with your op.

Thanks Tina,
I’m seeing the onc tomorrow, so I’ll probably have a better idea then. Are you waiting for surgery too ?
Maria

Maria, I also had a portacath, which was removed five weeks after last chemo, had to wait for neuts to come back up, risk of infection, and now waiting for reconstruction revision. Tinax

im having surgery it will be 5 weeks after my last chemo hope this helps

Thank you Elaine and Tina,
Saw the onc today, he wants a scan 2 weeks after last chemo and say we can discuss things when I see him to get the results. (OMG more waiting)
Tina, they whipped out your portacath quickly, They told me I would keep mine for a year, just in case, I suppose. Good luck girls
Maria

Hi Maria, I thought that, too, apparently it’s standard to have it out asap. After having my Chemo cut short due to recurrent anaphylaxis it seemed a lot of surgery for a little time! Good luck for your procedure, you have had a real tough time. Sending a big hug. Tinax

Hi Maria,
One thing we have learnt is all oncologist’s have different thoughts, mine doesn’t like the coldcap, yours obviosly likes the portacath!! perhaps the next time you go you might see a different onc. and you can ask his opinion!
Gone are the days when a scan meant a happy photo of a baby! now we live in fear of scans!
Fingers crossed for a quick op. on the ovaries
Love and Hugs
Sandra
xxx

Thanks ladies,
My gynaecologist just phoned and I have an appointment with him in 3 weeks time (after my scan results) but he has a waiting list for the op of 2 months or so, so… now I have my answer.
My portacath will be used during the op and I can apparently keep it as long as I like, what a choice !!
Tina, we have all been through a great deal, I believe I read, you moved home your treatment, that must have bee really difficult, I just didn’t have a kitchen for 6 weeks, and as for the rest, apparently we are only sent what we can deal with. Hugs to you too.
Sandra, thanks for all your support. I will not see another onc, unless mine is ill or something. Goodness, scans of babies, that takes me back !
Hugs
Maria

Good luck Maria with your op! Yes we moved house and completely renovated the new place during my Chemo, No walls, floors, ceilings&kitchen for 18 weeks! Kept my mind off things though and the builders were very nice. I wish now they kept my portacath in but I suppose the onc instructs the surgeon and they go ahead and out! Don’t miss it though… Hope you have a swift recovery. You carry a lot on your shoulders! Big hug. Tina