73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after chemo did anyone wait for surgery?

12 REPLIES 12
rosie14

Re: How long after chemo did anyone wait for surgery?

Many thanks all for you answers!
Mysticalmoo

Hi. I have my last fec on 2/7/14 and surgeon ages as booked by op for 30/7/14. Exactly 4 weeks and I am having bilateral mastectomy and node clearance on left side.
rosie14

Thanks Joan that will probably be mid August for me then!
rosie14

Hi booksandwine only just found your question on the surgery board. I am supposed to be having mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. Then I am supposed to be having rads! I only hope he doesn't change his mind about reconstruction. Infact if I drop anything I would like it to be the rads! I won't know for sure until I have a date for surgery. Its not like the UK here you see the surgeon one day and he can have you on his list within days!
joan47

Rosie, I asked my oncologist this week and he said the minimum interval was 4 weeks and they aimed to do it within 6. This is also what the surgeon said at the outset.
SJB

I can answer that one, booksandwine. If you're having radiotherapy, then you will not be able to have reconstruction until at least 12 months after that. It's the same situation that I am in. I finished chemo in April, has a mastectomy in May and will be starting 3 weeks of rads later this month, so I can't have recon until next summer.

There is a very good reason for this - the x-rays remain in the area they are focussed on for up to 12 months, and any new tissue, either real flesh or silicon, that is there, will shrink/die/harden. Some ladies insist on have instant reconstruction then go on to have radiotherapy and end up with a much smaller hard breast that side, then go back asking for corrective surgery, which they don't always get. Better to wait until the x-rays are gone from your body and get it done right first time.

booksandwine

Rosie14. I'm in April thread. I'm like you surgery after chemo but wanted to ask you and sorry it may be in the threads are you having masectomy or masectomy and reconstruction.

The reason I ask is I thought when surgery happened for me it was to be recon at same time seems the ps they use always goes for delay and I don't want two ops and it dragging on. Interested to see what they are looking at for you I then have three weeks of rads

Best to you
Willow1

Hi Rosie, mine was 3 weeks after finish. Was worried it was a bit too soon but it was fine. I guess it also depends on how well you have coped with chemo etc.
wyn

Hi Rosie,

My surgery was exactly four weeks after chemo, this is to allow for bloods to get back to normal etc.

good luck with your treatment.

Wyn x

Kess

When I first asked early on my surgeon said 6 to 8 weeks, but I see him again and will be pushing for 4-5 as my cancer is very aggressive and waiting longer scares me. The reason given for the wait was to allow my bloods to recover but they are so far 6/8 done) holding up pretty well.
rosie14

Ok thanks for that. I have emailed the surgeon to try and get a date I am going privately for op as we live in Cyprus and fortunately took out medical insurance just 12 months ago!!! x
SJB

My surgeon timed it for exactly 4 weeks after my last chemo session to allow for the side effects to wear off. In the end, it was delayed an extra week because he was unavailable on the day he booked me for. I think 4 weeks is normal though.

Good luck. You're getting there. x

rosie14

How long after chemo did anyone wait for surgery?

I hopefully finish my chemo on July 10th and I am wondering what the time scale will be for surgery after chemo does anyone have an idea?