How long after surgery will I have raidotherapy ?

Hi I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove DCIS ( no true cancer ) the surgeon wasn’t happy with the margins and I am having more surgery tomorrow he has also said he wants me to have radiotherapy, could anyone tell me how long you wait between surgery before you start radiotherapy ? For example does the wound have to be fully healed?

thank you 

Hi Annie, it will be about 6 weeks - you need to be healed up and able to put your arms above your head so you can lie in the right position for the RT.  I had 15 sessions after WLE and experienced no problems - just a slight break in one scar about 2 days before the treatment finished. Good luck.

Hi. I waited 13 weeks! I wasn’t happy but the Departments in two different teaching hospitals (one of which I could choose) were overwhelmed with cases. Another lady waited 15 weeks. You’re lucky if you get your appointment within 8 weeks.

I had lumpectomy over 4 weeks ago & still waiting for appointment with oncologist re radiotherapy but also possible chemotherapy first. I was diagnosed at beginning of February & am starting to get a bit frustrated that things are moving so slowly. I want all this over with & my ‘normal boring’ life back. X