Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long between ANC and chemo?

6 REPLIES 6
Argymargy

Re: How long between ANC and chemo?

Hi Sam

WLE is another way of saying lumpectomy.  ANC is another way of saying lymph node clearance.

Sam22

What's WLEand ANC please? Thanks!
Anniej
Community Champion

The WLE wasn't difficult, but the LN excision was different. Apparently it's not a gentle removal, more a rummage and grab op, so I had a drain for 5 days and had to work hard with exercises as my tendons seemed to tighten - no good for CT scan which I knew I had to have. I was good to go after the drain came out, but the anaesthetic took a week to get rid of. You'll get a prescription for a wig . My Trust paid for mine! but some make a contribution. Ichose one very like my own style. I had plenty to choose from and was advised a shorter one lasts better and doesn't need trimming. I got my wig early so when my hair came out I would be ready. I had the chemo shave last week and came out of my hairdressers wearing my wig and looking great! Hope this helps. X

PS . I was a regular at aqua aerobics, four times a week , but have not been allowed either to the gym or in the water since being diagnosed. Chlorine drying the skin out, and close contact re germs. My bad luck!

SandraSussex

Hi Ali!
I had ANC on May 3rd! I could have come home with drain In the following morning but because I was coming home alone I stayed in hospital until the drain was removed. If you go home the district nurse will come in daily!

I felt ok quite quickly and started exercising straight away! I have stiffened up a bit now with some cording and will have some physio!

I do feel tired just over 3 weeks since op but like you it was my second op....I give into sleep when I can!

On the other hand I went for a swim last week which was great!

Sandra xx
Alicat99

Thanks Anniej. I will make sure I do my exercises. Wonder if they will do scan(s) before or after ANC seeing as the oncologist is already adamant I need chemo. I don't know why yet but will be asking at my appt with BS on Friday. I'm 45 and tumour they removed was 3.3cm (grade 2 on previous biopsy) and they found another area of 5.5cm which was precancerous plus the sentinel lymph node they removed was positive. I'm guessing this combination means the oncologist feels chemo is not avoidable but I so wish it were. :-((( Can't believe I am now researching wigs but in the grand scheme of things, Is rather be alive and bald than... 😮
How long before you felt ok after the op? Xx
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Alicat, I had a full lymph node excision as 2/3 biopsies showed cancer. This was the correct decision as half of all the nodes excised showed the same. The wounds need to heal, you probably need a CT scan to ensure the cancer hasn't spread . I did, and it hadn't. I was also tested for heart strength before a final plan of treatment. Blue dye jobby - bit funny but not painful. It took four weeks. Please make sure you do your exercises after the excision as you need to be able to raise your arms above your head for the CT. Hope this helps. Best of luck. X

Alicat99

How long between ANC and chemo?

Hello and hugs to all,

Had my results appt on Weds and am still in shock esp as was in hospital with a post mastectomy infection. My BS told me I need an ANC as node biopsy positive and cancer also bigger than they thought followed by chemo and rads. Trying to work out practicalities now I'm out of hospital again and starting to feel better.

Am wondering how long you normally wait after an ANC before starting chemo?

Sending peaceful and soothing vibes xx